Lat Pulldown = WU, 2 sets
Bent-over Rows = 1 set
DB Shoulder Presses = 2 sets
Lateral Raises = 1 set
Shrugs = 1 set
Lying Tricep Extensions = 2 sets
Barbell Curls = 2 sets
Calf Extensions = 2 sets

Let me know what you think. What exercises can be done instead of Dips?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (the RK @ Nov. 09 2005,10:31)]Well here it goes:
Leg Press = WU, 2 sets
Leg Curls = 1 set
Incline DB bench = WU, 2 sets
Chest Auxiliary = 1 set
Lat Pulldown = WU, 2 sets
Bent-over Rows = 1 set
DB Shoulder Presses = 2 sets
Lateral Raises = 1 set
Shrugs = 1 set
Lying Tricep Extensions = 2 sets
Barbell Curls = 2 sets
Calf Extensions = 2 sets
Let me know what you think. What exercises can be done instead of Dips?
You might want to consider just doing the compounds on your 1st cycle or at least wait till the 5's to do isolations. You could do decline barbell/dumbell presses instead of dips, but dips are highly recommended for arm/chest development. The experts will be able to give you more specifics.

My only problem with dips is that I have no way at all to add weight to the sets, no belts, cables, nothing. What about dumbbell pullovers or flyes?

pullovers are more of a lat exercise..as hardrock says declines are good..for dips you could hold a db between your legs or use an ordinary weights belt with a chain on good luck :D

[b said:
Quote[/b] (the RK @ Nov. 10 2005,12:57)]My only problem with dips is that I have no way at all to add weight to the sets, no belts, cables, nothing.  What about dumbbell pullovers or flyes?
Take a back up, like one from school, put it on backwards and make it tight around your body. Then throw in some weight and zip it up. Now you have a way to add weight. :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (faz @ Nov. 11 2005,4:46)]you wont get much load with db flyes
I just finished my week of maxing-out.  I settled for db flyes, and I did 50 lb dumbbells for my 5RM (slow, strict form too).  Anyways, the basic HST routine calls for 1 chest exercise (usually a press), and I'm doing bench press, so what does it hurt to do db flyes?

Dips are vastly superior to flyes. No offense is intended, but that's all the discussion that's required.

Flyes aren't likely to hurt your progress at all, but they won't be anywhere near as effective as a big compound movement, shifting heavy loads and building strength.

Flyes can however be used as a metabolic work inducer by doing pulses, but the guys are right, not the best of exercises when compared to dips.

Just IMHO.
tounge.gif

It shouldn't be about "flys vs dips".

Bench vs dips is more like it. If you are used to benching, and don't want to do dips, stick with benching. Not a problem. Why waste time on neural learning anyway if you aren't a dips fan.

The flyes are more for adding a little more stretch or metabollic work. Not really a match for any of the big daddy compounds, because it's not supposed to be a contender in the first place. You do flyes with, not instead of, the heavy compound exercise you choose.

For dips you could try holding dumbells between your legs, although when the weight really gets up there it could cause problems.

Back