View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: No of Sets

for me depends of the exercise choosen. With squat and deadlift it's hard to do 2x15; with press and leg curl is more easily . I don't exercise with machine 'cause I work at home gym; so for me the ideal combination is:

every 6 workout of 15 rep 1 set

first 3 workout of 10 rep 2 set
    second 3 workout of 10 rep 1 set

first 2 workout of 5 rep 3 set
    second 2 workout of 5 rep 2 set
    third 2 workout of 5 rep 1 set ( we are at 5rm so 1 set is perfect)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

I think it is best to listen to your body. This is a fine art and takes time to develop, however having said this it is important to stick to the principals of hypertrophy. I would suggest you try and keep the reps constant as stated in previous posts but when form begins to be compromised it is more important to complete good quality sets over quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by supermannothing View Post
    I voted for other. I actually do many sets per bodypart. I stop once I've hit 90-120secs of total tension per muscle. Im glad Bryan chose to increase sets over time because as reps decrease, so does time under pressure.
    Not normally, since reps don't decrease at will, but because of heavier weights. When doing BP I might be able to do 10RM at roughly twice my best speed at 5RM, so time under load stays roughly the same.
    Incline bench 72kg/158lb x 2, Rack pulls (from 1 inch above kneecaps) 202kg/445lb x 10 @BW 64kg/141lb @171cm/5'7" (Mar'14)

A simple and very effective way to keep total time under tension, and hence work, constant is by adding a metabolic stimulus with a back-off or dropset during 5s. So 2-3 sets of 5 + 1-2 sets of 10-15 reps with a very short rest. This will enhance the effect of the 5s immensely while still limiting CNS stress sufficient enough to keep burnout at bay with the heavy loads. You could also do 2 workouts with 5s and 1 workout with 10-15s per week, as in a daily undulating periodization setup.

How important is rest between sets? Does it matter (size-wise) if you rest 2-5 minutes, 5-10 minutes, 6 hours, 24 hours, or 48 hours?
    Last edited by HST_Rihad; 08-06-2012 at 08:24 AM.
    Incline bench 72kg/158lb x 2, Rack pulls (from 1 inch above kneecaps) 202kg/445lb x 10 @BW 64kg/141lb @171cm/5'7" (Mar'14)

Yes, it does. The whole premise of Myo-reps is that to maintain a high fiber recruitment you need shorter rest periods. Outside of that, not only Work (as in load*sets*reps) matter but also the time frame so doing the same workout for progressively shorter amount of time brings about its own set of adaptions. Transient adaptions (work capacity), though, so you eventually need to increase loading.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade View Post
    Yes, it does. The whole premise of Myo-reps is that to maintain a high fiber recruitment you need shorter rest periods. Outside of that, not only Work (as in load*sets*reps) matter but also the time frame so doing the same workout for progressively shorter amount of time brings about its own set of adaptions. Transient adaptions (work capacity), though, so you eventually need to increase loading.
    But I read somewhere (maybe it was you) that myo-reps are particularly good at relatively higher reps (8-10 up), and there's little use for them at 5 rep loads since all fibers are recruited from the start anyway. So let me rephrase my previous question: considering one is at his 5RM loads, doing 2 sets almost to failure 3 times a week, will he be better off increasing the # of sets to 3, and decreasing frequency to twice per week? Total weekly volume remains the same, it's per-session volume that changes.

Blade, in terms of myo-reps: how do these make use of metabolic and mechanic pathways? Mechanic pathways (high load, stretch) provide the most growth stimulus, metabolic a little.

Read this: http://borgefagerli.com/myo-reps-in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by HST_Rihad View Post
    But I read somewhere (maybe it was you) that myo-reps are particularly good at relatively higher reps (8-10 up), and there's little use for them at 5 rep loads since all fibers are recruited from the start anyway. So let me rephrase my previous question: considering one is at his 5RM loads, doing 2 sets almost to failure 3 times a week, will he be better off increasing the # of sets to 3, and decreasing frequency to twice per week? Total weekly volume remains the same, it's per-session volume that changes.
    Yes, I meant to do 2 regular sets and a third high-rep Myo-rep set. I could go either way, 2 days of 5s and one day of high rep work, or just 2 days of 5s + high rep work - it would depend on your volume/load tolerance and what you have been doing. Try and see for yourself.

Considering a 2-5 minute rest is taken, is the second working set more effective than the first?
    If not, why am I getting this strong idea that two sets done 2-5 minutes apart are better than if done on 2 different days?
    Is it because their cumulative effect on muscle growth, which has to be attained within a short time frame, is what matters?