Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Korte 3x3

I have done a couple of HST blocks now and I have a problem that my 5 rep maxes are poor compared to my 10 and 15 rep maxes. I was thinking I could do an 8 week strength program after this sd and then change back to HST. I haven't done any strength oriented training before, so if somebody could comment on this and maybe give me some tips.
    Stephan Korte's 3x3
    http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/index.htm
    The reason I chose this program is that it somewhat resembles HST. It has only deadlifts, squats and benches 3xweek.
    Is this program a good choise? Or should I just stay with HST?
    I just started my sd yesterday. I probably don't need a long sd if starting a powerlifting routine? I'm having slight signs of overtraining like muscle twitches and loss of sleep so is it wise to take a few days off even if I don't really sd?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Well, first off, I think you're horning in on my name.

But besides that...

I've only used Korte one time. I used it while dieting and improved my 1RM in both squat and deadlift; my bench went down but my bench always goes down because I'm always tearing my supraspinatus.

I think Korte's 3x3 is a good way to practice technique but I don't like the lack of time spent at higher percentages of 1RM. Christian Thibadeaux had a variation of Korte's 3x3 mixed with Westside that he calls the Canadian Autoregulating routine. I like that routine better because you also spend time working at 3RM and 6RM levels and you've got a 4th day for assistance work.

So which one is the Ninja of the Nice?

Im guessing the one who's bench keeps going down...
    This is a QUOTE
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

Albert Einstein

heh heh

Yeah, I sacrificed that to the NickName gods in the hope that they'd remove the curse on my bench press.

Im lucky, I have short arms a big gut and healthy shoulders.

How have hte injuries been lately, I have read your log at lyles, but forget things, my anniversery, spelling, kids birthdays, yada yada yada
    This is a QUOTE

Albert Einstein

I'm thinking the supraspinatus on the right side is almost holding steady. The infraspinatus on the left side, however, is all wonky right now. That popped when I was warming up for an incline bp. My ART doc made me cut back 20% on my upper body weights for a couple of weeks.

But flat bench feels fine. It feels better than the incline bench. Except that it's taken a couple of steps back strength-wise. I was doing 190# for 3 in October. I got 170x3 and then 175x2+1F yesterday. I'm going to have to milk that back to health.

BUT.

I bought a new bar that actually has knurling on it so I'll be able to finally work my deadlift with some weight. I'm hoping that will be a good thing. :P It sucks when you DL 450 in competition and can't do more than 350-360 at home because the bar slips out of your hands.

Use some dang straps

Have you torn any of the rotator cuff at all? I cant remember.

Arch much during benching? elbows tucked at all.

I only get an inflammed shoulder now and again, but thats due to dislocating it during a motorcycle accident.
    You need to be benching more Watson
    or at least getting a monsterous deadlift to cover the weaker bench
    This is a QUOTE

Albert Einstein

I'll preface this with an admission that I'm not a powerlifter. I'm not even very knowledgable about lifting. But this 3x3 program seems like a very easy way to develop some muscular imbalances. No mention is made of rotator cuff prehab, or any other upper back work.

The program probably works well, but I think it would be foolish to stick to it for any long length of time. I prefer the idea of determining and strengthing weaknesses myself.

Take that for whatever it's worth...

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]No mention is made of rotator cuff prehab, or any other upper back work
    deadlifts

Deadlifts work the lats? And the rotator cuff complex? That's news to me!