Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st HST Cycle - Background Info

Hello All,

I've been working out since March on a pretty routine 4-day split of Back/Chest, Legs, Shoulders, Arms. *Since I previously lifted about 5 years ago, much of my strength and size has been re-gained. *I am 29, 5'10" 190 lbs...12% BF. *Although this workout has been successful for me, I am attempting my first HST cycle, of which this evening will be my 5th workout in the 15's mesocycle.

3x per week - 1x per day
    All exercise seperated by / are super sets

Chins/ Incline Bench
    Bent-over rows/ Dips
    Shoulder press/ Calf raise (on a leg press machine)
    BB Curls/ Skulls
    Squats/ Leg Curls
    Shrugs/ Rear delt raises

I plan on completing 15x2, 10x2, 5x3, Negs/MS.

Observations/Comments thus far:

1) Must admit that I did not SD before beginning
    2) It is difficult to 15 reps of any exercise when you are used to doing no more than 8 reps ever
    3) It is difficult to finish the routine in less than 70 min
    4) Wrist and shoulder seem to bother me more from higher reps than heavier weight
    5) Dips hurt my hands (the pressure on my palms)
    6) I have a weak grip
    7) I am trying not to zig-zag by repeating certain weights for 2 workouts or decresing the incremental change
    8) I have a chronic crick in my neck from lifting that never seems to friggin go away (developed before HST)
    9) I am not getting sore at all (this concerns me)
    10) I don't feel like I am getting as good of a workout as when I split my body parts
    11) I am cutting as well...my carbs are largely limited to pre and post workout shakes

Weights Used 15's:

Chins - Assisted machine to enable me to complete 15x2...Started at plate 9 decreasing to 6
    Incline Bench BB - 75 lbs to 125 lbs
    Bent-over rows - 85 lbs to 125 lbs
    Dips - BW (no belt)
    Shoulder press DB's - Combined 60 lbs to 90 lbs
    Calf raises - 180 lbs to 260 lbs
    BB curls - 45 lbs to 65 lbs
    Skulls - 30 lbs to 60 lbs (deep stretch behind head)
    Squat - 95 lbs to 175 lbs (first time doing squats without Smith Machine)
    Leg Curls - Every machine is different, but increasing every workout
    Shrugs - 140 lbs to 200 lbs.
    Rear-delt raises (incline bench) - 15 lbs to 20 lbs (not much room for increase here at 15 reps)

All comments welcome...look forward to contributing all of my experiences to the forum!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

I'm new to the forum too, but have been reading it for the past couple of weeks. Looks like your doing to many exercises. Check out "simplify and win" . Basic compound exercises with big results!

<div>
    (BAX67 @ Sep. 05 2007,21:22)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I&#39;m new to the forum too, but have been reading it for the past couple of weeks. Looks like your doing to many exercises. Check out &quot;simplify and win&quot; . Basic compound exercises with big results&#33;</div>
    Hmmm, the Force is strong with this one...
    Pull Up -- BW+55 March 13, 2011
    Dip -- BW+55 January 30, 2011
    Bench Press -- 150 lbs. March 12, 2009
    Front Squat -- 215 lbs. January 20, 2011
    Back Squat -- 285 lbs. January 30, 2011
    Deadlift -- 345 lbs. January 26, 2011

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Simplify & Win

Simplify and win is geared more toward increasing overall mass. I am interested in more of a complete workout targeting large and small muscle groups, with an increased emphasis on burning calories (cutting) while building and toning. I would consider breaking the routine into 2 parts, morning and evening, as an alternative though. After reading many threads here, simplify and win is definitely not the only path to success. Thanks for your comment though.

9/5

5th Day of 15&#39;s Mesocycle * 2x15
    Chins (6th plate)/Incline bench 115 lbs
    Bent-over rows 115 lbs/Dips BW
    Shoulder Press 90 lbs combined/Calf 250 lbs
    Curls 60 lbs (13x1, 5x1, 10x1, 5x1)/Skulls 60 lbs
    Squat 165 lbs (winded)/Leg curls 80 lbs
    Shrugs 200 lbs/Rear delt raises 25 lbs (standing)

The high volume and increased load of the 15&#39;s is getting to me&#33; *Looking forward to the 10&#39;s. *Very winded from this workout, took 90 minutes to complete...too long.

imported_fearfactory Guest

I would agree that 15&#39;s are not the most fun. *I&#39;m sorry to hear that your shoulders and wrists are complaining.

your exercise selection looks pretty good to me. *I &quot;like&quot; deads...but they&#39;re not exactly something that can superset w/ squats&#33;

how much of an incline is your bench set at?

edited to ask: what exercises hurt your wrists? BB curls kill mine.

Thanks fear...I&#39;m pretty happy with the exercise selection. *I use a standard olympic incline bench (the only variable that can be manipulated is the seat height), I believe the incline is 40-45 degrees. *Definitely doesn&#39;t feel like it hits my pecs as well as a standard flat bench, but I&#39;m going with the consensus here...so I made the switch. *To be honest, my wrists hurt more after the workout and the next day...when I originally injured my right wrist about 4 months ago I couldn&#39;t even wipe my ass without intense pain. *The problem is the joint at the base of the thumb and the part of the wrist directly under it. *Any pressure on that part of my hand (like pressing on a bannister while walking up the stairs) still hurts pretty bad though. *It&#39;s my own fault...I was doing cable curls with a really weird handle (It was like a thick roller that spun as you lifted the weight) and it didn&#39;t agree with me, but I pushed through the pain of the sets and the rest is history. *I still don&#39;t know why I didn&#39;t stop...anyway I really never gave it more than a full week to heal so its still bothersome, hopefully not permanent damage.

soflsun, It was out of line for me to comment on your workout. I&#39;m sorry about that&#33; Good luck, hope your aches heal up soon.

No sweat Bax...Thanks.

Me now...dry: