Page 107 of 122 FirstFirst ... 7 57 97 105 106 107 108 109 117 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1216

Thread: _tim's Log

Well, life caught up with me a bit and the gym became a casualty of everything else. That was the primary reason for my couple weeks away.

As has become normal for me, I am changing things up a bit. One of the people at my gym that I became buds with is a nationally known former strongman competitor and is still a very well known trainer and fitness athlete in especially the New York area. His name is Jay Ashman and you can read some of his stuff here. Anyway - he and I had a couple beers last week and he asked me if I'd join him in his current routine to see how a natty guy fares. It's a very auto-regulating system but has at least similarities in structure to HST. Rep ranges for primary lifts are 10-12, 6-8, 2-4 depending on week - and depending on how things progress. Assistance work is all done in the 10-rep space but is done only so much as the lifter feels should be done. The last covenant of this is rest time - in almost every case, work sets are to have rest time restricted to no more than 60 seconds. I will stress though that this is auto-regulated, so if the primary lift is the only thing done for the day, but it's done to a point of abject muscular destruction, so be it. Jay has grown noticeably in tweaking his own implementation of it; he has a shoot coming up later this month for some magazine and then again later for BB.com. So yeah - this dude knows how to train and I am happy to give it a go though it means leaving my power-volume stuff. In my book these days, training is training so I truly don't care. Here's what I did last night:

Squats: warmups + 185, 195 x 10, 205 x 7
    I hit a point where form was compromised and stopped. Rest times were kept very close to 60 seconds - and that killed me.

Good Mornings: bar, 95 x 10
    Never did these before - and low back was fairly toasty from the squats. Regardless - I see the benefit. I literally only did what felt right given the quality of my back, and today I very much see the benefit in the back to back pairing.

Shrugs: 3 x 10 @ 225
    Been an age since I last did these, and hit the forearms pretty nicely. No straps - chalk only; forearms got a nice hit.

Superset: Kroc Rows: 60 x 25; Pulldowns (wide pronated grip): 110 x 10
    Biceps and more importantly forearms were dead after this.

In additon, my sorta untrained self was fatigued beyond belief. I'm gonna give this a go and see how it hits me, and as it's auto-regulated, it's a nice framework to work within.
    "Determination, Perseverance, Resolution, RESURRECTION!"
    Chimaira, Resurrection
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Bench: 175, 185 x 10, spotter assist 185 x 7,7
    I literally cannot believe how weak I am right now. I've only been off for about 2 weeks, and I'm THIS WEAK?

Machine Rows (neutral grip): 117.5, 130, 145 x 10
    Full stretch, all reps.

DB Fly: 3 x 10 @ 20
    Really focused on form - and won't do these again on bench day. Medial delts were hammered after bench.

SA Tricep Pushdown: 50, 60 x 10, 65 x 3-r, 2-l
    Haven't done ISO tri work in a loooooong time. Me thinks I'm gonna have some mad DOMS in my arms!

Abs - K2C: 4 x 12
    Tiny rest times - maybe 15-20 seconds between sets.

Another good one, but humbling.
    Chimaira, Resurrection

Why were you squatting with rest times at 60 seconds? When I hit my working sets I put at least 5 minutes in between. Is that what Jay's program calls for?

Hi TD - yes, it's expected for the 10's and all assistance work to be done with minimal rest. I'm planning on one more round of 10's before I start the progression that Jay laid out. I actually started reading the book that Jay in part based this methodology on and sure enough, the minimal rest period for higher rep sets is preferable to train the body to be much more adaptable to stress.

I missed posting a workout...

From 8/10:

Deadlift: 2 x 10 @ 225, 1 x 3 @ 225
    Very challenging - I believe rest times were pretty north of 60 seconds.

Pause Squats: 185 x 7, 5, 4
    Pauses were to a count of 3. These rest times were also slightly elevated.

Pulldowns: 130, 140 x 10; sup. grip 140 x 10
    |
    Back Hypers: BW x 10; 2 x 10 @ BW + 25

Great pump - and very happy to get all reps without clusters. This was a unique superset from a muscle response perspective.

Spider Curl: 2 x 10 @ 40
    Clusters all over the place - very challenging and not the slightest bit comfortable.

Swiss Ball Exchanges: 10
    I had no more left in me at this point.

Then last week was schedule insanity, so I picked things up today:

Standing Press: bar, 85, 105 x 10; 115 x 3, 1, 1
    This is always a weak lift for me, especially when not done for many months.

Decline Bench: 135 x 10; 165 x 10, 7
    Triceps were a big focus today...

Incline Bench Machine: 90 x 10; 110 x 10, 7
    Big time tri and delt push today - felt very appropriate and quite good.

Kroc Rows: 60, 70 x 25
    KILLER.

Hanging K2C: 12, 8
    Good finish for the day.
    Chimaira, Resurrection

Squats: 185, 205, 225 x 10
    Rest times were again kept very close to 60 seconds, and all reps were ATG.

SLDL: 2 x 10 @ 135
    Plenty of work on my back - form was extremely strict.

Machine Shrugs (load only): 90 x 10; 2 x 10 @ 180
    The machine arm itself had to be at least another plate, but who knows for sure. These were done seated - a welcome relief for my lower back.

WG Pulldown/SG Pulldown: 110: 10/10; 140: 10/10
    I was very limited on time at the end of the WO so I wanted to cram some extra volume into my back. These were supposed to be supersetted with hypers, but the thing was in need of repair.

Overall - I'm starting to adjust to both the volume and intensity of the workouts. It's way too early to see results, but I feel like there will be some lessening of my present fatassery.
    Chimaira, Resurrection

Last night...(8/23)

Bench: 155, 185 x 10; 205 x 5-1-1, 3
    No spotter, so when things became suspect, I clustered. Not so happy with the effort, being honest.

Machine Rows (NG):130, 150, 157.5 x 10
    Tiny rest times - closer to 30 seconds thatn 60.

Front/Back Standing Press: 85 x 10; 95 x 7-2-1, 4-2
    Jay told me to try these and holy crap - pushing from the back of the head is no fun with weak tri's and delts.

Strive Curl: 60 x 7; 50 x 5 + 3 static holds, 4 static holds
    |
    Dips: BW x 10, 10, 4

My biceps are still crazy weak to the point that I'm not sure when I'm going to attempt pullups or chins - and I need to. The dips were step 1 in response to my chest work.

K2C: 12, 12
    |
    Swissy Exchange: 10, 4

So - I noticed that the swiss ball I was using was the labeled as the "Women" ball about 5 reps into the first set. Made me feel so manly. The abs got a good smack regardless.

Pause DB Flat Press: 55 x 8, 4
    This was step 2 in response to my chest work.
    Chimaira, Resurrection

8/24...

Deadlift: 185, 225 x 10; 245 x 5, 5, 2
    I'm attempting a switch to conventional deads as a suggestion, and this was my first attempt at such a feat since I first started doing 'em a long time ago. We'll see how it goes.

Pause Squats: 2 x 10 @ 135
    First set was a 3-count in the hole; second set was a 1-count in the hole.

DB Shrugs: 3 x 10 @ 80
    I sat for the first 2 sets as my lower back was toasty. I found though that standing for these is essential for the proper movement of the weights.

Mixed Grip Chin: BW x 5, 3
    I bit the bullet and gave this a go. I'll keep trying with both pullups and chins - but will definitely still do PD work too.

WG BB Curls: 65 x 10, 75 x 4, 1.5
    All reps were super slow and very controlled. The 1.5 was a slow up, down to the halfway point and held for a 5-count, and back up.

Bench Abs: 2 x 10(3) @ 135
    |
    NG PD: 110 x 10, 130 x 10

Fun little unplanned superset.

Next week begins the true implementation of the layout - 2 days of 10's, 2 days of 6's, 2 days of 2's. A fitting start to my 36th year.
    Chimaira, Resurrection

Quote Originally Posted by _tim View Post
    Deadlift: 185, 225 x 10; 245 x 5, 5, 2
    I'm attempting a switch to conventional deads as a suggestion, and this was my first attempt at such a feat since I first started doing 'em a long time ago. We'll see how it goes.
    Do you typically do Sumo deads? Do you notice a difference in strength between sumo/conventional? Lastly, why the switch back to conventional?

Quote Originally Posted by _tim View Post
    A fitting start to my 36th year.
    Happy birthday, welcome to the club. I somewhat recently started my 36th year too...

Thanks, NT - much appreciated. Happy belated to you as well.

My deadlift form for years has been something of a modified sumo stance that I still find to allow the most natural movement for me personally, where my legs are just outside my hands, which are almost exactly shoulder-width apart. I'm attempting the switch due to the increased ROM and hence better muscular recruitment with the conventional movement. I can't comment yet on the stength differential as the two movements are so different. With sumo, your quads and adductors get most of the work; conventionals mostly hit the hams and require a tremendous amount more core strength to healthily persit a heavy load back to the floor. I'll absolutely comment on this as time goes on because I'm curious about it as well. It'll be especially interesting on the post-2's how things recover.
    Chimaira, Resurrection

Your modified sumo sounds very similar to mine. I keep my arms right at should width apart and my legs are just outside my arms. I'll be very interested to hear how your change to conventional goes. I might try to do conventional deads on my next HST cycle.

Speaking of deads, this afternoon i'm going for 3 @ 275x5. Hoping it goes well because progressing past 275 will effectively put me in uncharted waters Who knows, if I feel really crazy today maybe I'll do my last set at 280, just because