Thread: Body-building icon Ben Weider dies at 85

<div></div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Globe & Mail, MONTREAL Ben Weider, a legend in the world of body building, died suddenly on Friday in a Montreal hospital.

He was 85.</div>

Best known for founding the International Federation of Body Building in 1940 with his brother Joe, he was also a businessman, a philanthropist and a scholar with a keen interest in Napoleonic history.

Ben Weider Dies
    Pull Up -- BW+55 March 13, 2011
    Dip -- BW+55 January 30, 2011
    Bench Press -- 150 lbs. March 12, 2009
    Front Squat -- 215 lbs. January 20, 2011
    Back Squat -- 285 lbs. January 30, 2011
    Deadlift -- 345 lbs. January 26, 2011

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Simplify & Win

The first weights I ever used were from a Weider set that my dad bought along with a cheap Weider bench. He had that set of Weider exercise wall charts that he pinned up on the spare room wall where he kept the weights. I remember those days with a fondness.

I don&#39;t think BB became what Ben and Joe originally envisioned (or maybe it did&#33 but it certainly made them a lot of dosh. My biggest gripe with them is not that they turned a blind eye to the drug scene but that they made me think that what I saw in their M&F and Flex mags was obtainable through hard work and supps alone (I was young and stoopid); they ran a lot of pretty misleading supp ads over the years.
    "Be the best that you can be."

PR's:
    Deadlift: 215kg (474lb) - pre-hernia!
    Low-bar Back Squat: 190kg (419lb) 16/04/10 @BW ~210lb
    Bench: 130kg (287lb) 01/02/13
    Total: 1,180lb

Thanks for the link, TR. Very interesting. I had no idea that Ben Weider did all those things.
    If you are willing to pay the price that others will not - you will reap the benefits that others will not.

If you seek greatness, look at what most people do, and then do the opposite.

Does anyone know what happened to him?

He was in great health about a month ago?

He&#39;s Canadian, eh?
    The Road to 10% // Many of life&#39;s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. -Thomas Edison