Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is the best way to 'cut', without losing muscle?

Default What is the best way to 'cut', without losing muscle?

What is the best way to 'cut' (i.e. lose body fat) but minimise muscle loss?

Okaym, I am assuming you need to eat less (so that there is a calorie deficit), right?

But how much and what sort of training should one do?

- Aerobics? (If so, what intensity? & how long should each training session be?)
    - Running?
    - Weights?

If you keep doing weights (e.g. HST type training), then (I think I read somewhere that) the body starts taking muscle (i.e. catabolizing) any of your muscles that you didnt manage to train hard enough!

Disaster !

Also, over how many weeks should one be doing one's "cutting" ?

John
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

I am no expert, but it is my understanding that, during a cut, it is wise to keep your protein intake high. Figure about 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of lean body weight.

With a calorie deficit it is hard to keep up long weight training sessions, so you might want to drop back to only twice a weight. Lift heavy, but with fewer reps.
    Chin Up -- BW+50 March 18, 2009
    Bench Press -- 150 lbs. March 12, 2009
    Front Squat -- 210 lbs. October 3, 2008
    Back Squat -- 260 lbs. October 3, 2008
    Deadlift -- 340 lbs. October 7, 2008
    Current body weight -- 145 lbs.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelRat2 View Post
    so you might want to drop back to only twice a weight.
    I presume you mean twice a week not weight (?)

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelRat2 View Post
    Lift heavy, but with fewer reps.
    Hmm... After reading all this highly exact HST calculating, this sounds a bit vague !

Also how many weeks in a row do people normally "cut" for?

Cheers

John

Quote Originally Posted by shiphen View Post
    I presume you mean twice a week not weight (?)
    Yup, sorry.

Hmm... After reading all this highly exact HST calculating, this sounds a bit vague !
    HST stands for Hypertrophy Specific Training. You're not going to get hypertrophy while cutting. You can gain muscle or lose fat, but it's hard to do both at the same time. To maintain muscle while trying to lose fat, keep your protein intake high and lift heavy. You may have to cut back on the number of workouts.

You asked about "the best way to 'cut' (i.e. lose body fat) but minimise muscle loss"; I made my suggestions based on that.

You might want to google Lyle McDonald. He always has good diet recommendations.

Also how many weeks in a row do people normally "cut" for?
    That would vary for each person. Many set a particular goal -- a certain body weight, or waist measurement, or body fat percentage -- and keep cutting until the goal is reached.
    Chin Up -- BW+50 March 18, 2009
    Bench Press -- 150 lbs. March 12, 2009
    Front Squat -- 210 lbs. October 3, 2008
    Back Squat -- 260 lbs. October 3, 2008
    Deadlift -- 340 lbs. October 7, 2008
    Current body weight -- 145 lbs.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

intermittent fasting

www.leangains.com

Lyle McDonald's UD2.0 works well too (go to www.bodyrecomposition.com for more info).

Basically, you need to tell your body to hang on to the lean tissue for as long as possible (although you will almost certainly lose some as you lose bodyweight). In order to do that you'll need to lift heavy weights for each body part at least once a week. Diet is key to all fat loss but exercise also plays a part in burning calories. Just don't try to lose too much weight each week or you will be burning up more muscle tissue than necessary/desired. A loss of 1lb a week is a good goal to have. However, don't expect steady/consistent results from start to finish. Sometimes a few weeks will go by and you won't have experienced any fat loss. Then, suddenly, you'll seem to drop a fair bit - there does seem to be an effect where water is retained for a while before being released, leading to jumps in weight-loss.

It's also a good idea to have a 'reset week' every 5 or 6 weeks. By increasing cals for a while you can encourage your body to reset certain hormone levels that are part of the fat-loss control mechanisms that alter when dieting (look up ghrelin and leptin). After 10-12 weeks of consistent dieting, I would take a complete month off the diet and eat at maintenance cals. This will help you to adpt to your new body weight before deciding whether to continue your cut.

Knowledge, understanding, consistency and perseverance are key. Read as much as you can on the subject, stick with it and you will get good results. One cheat day a week is fine if it keeps you focussed the rest of the time - just don't go mad with the cheating!

You will need to learn to count cals and not guesstimate if you want your cut to be as successful as possible.

It is always good to record how you get on so that, when you look back at your notes, you can see what worked best for you.
    "Be the best that you can be."

PR's:
    Deadlift: 215kg (474lb) - pre-hernia!
    Low-bar Back Squat: 190kg (419lb) 16/04/10 @BW ~210lb
    Bench: 130kg (287lb) 01/02/13
    Total: 1,180lb

Quote Originally Posted by Champalex View Post
    intermittent fasting

www.leangains.com
    Hmm... OK, I don't dispute that fasting would probably work... however, I was under the impression that intemittent fasting is "the hard way" to do it !

i.e. That by fasting intermittently, the body starting thinking that there is likely to be a food shortage, and therefore the hormones shift around to start to shift around and store fat as soon as it gets a glucose surplus. I think I read something to that effect by Barry Sears (of The Zone Diet fame).

John

Yeah whoever wrote that is an idiot and doesn't read research. The whole 'you gotta eat every two hours to keep your metabolism up bro' argument was destroyed by research a long time ago. Eating several times a day does nothing special and is not any different than eating three meals a day or even one meal a day. Intermittent fasting is actually pretty easy. It doesn't feel like a diet. It feels like you feast every day because you get all your calories in a short period. It actually makes more sense than regular dieting because you are only taking in calories during the period when protein synthesis is raised, so the possibility of storing more calories in bodyfat is quite low and the chance of losing significant muscle mass is reduced quite a bit as well.

UD2.0 works really well too, though I recommend it more for once you've hit 10% bodyfat and are trying to get down below that with minimal muscle loss. It's hard for some people to do especially if you have to work it around your job. But it works really well when executed properly.

I've done both diets and I thought that Intermittent Fasting was easier and it worked really well for me. However, UD2.0 can work really well too especially if you have a hard time with the fasting parts of the IF diet.

Thanks - where can I find a simple overview of what UD2.0 is, and what the core principles are behind it?

Btw, for me at least, I can tell you that eating a number of small meals has a completely different effect than eating 1 large meal per day.

Personally I did an experiment taking my lunch in to work. And if I ate it in 1 sitting I gained body fat. Whereas if I ate it in 3+ sittings I lost body fat. It was healthy well balance food (meat + veg).

We are all different I suppose but my findings are in accordance with Zone Diet theory, no?