Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: A Semi-Newbie's Training Log - HST/Stronglifts Hybrid

Bench: 2x5 70lb dumbbells

Pullups: 2x5 + 22.5lb plate hanging from chain on weight belt.

Leg Press (Quad Dominant): 2x5 270lb

1 Arm Strict OHP: 2x5 52.5lb dumbbells

Dumbbell Curls: 2x5 40b dumbbells + 1.25lb

Just like how everything felt easier last workout except for one exercise, this time, the sticking point was my bench press. Gave myself 4 minutes of rest between sets and put 110% effort into getting the last rep out on the second set. Note that on my last max day, I got 72.5lbs up for 5 reps and felt I could have done at least one more rep...

Let's hope today was just a fluke. I notice that the first rep is hard as ****. I definitely need to use a spot on my next max day (75lb dbs), which is coming up in 2 sessions.

Pullups felt easy. Leg Press was kinda hard but that's to be expected when I just stalled last workout. Plus, I wasn't really into the set. I'll mention why in a bit.

OHP felt easy.

Dumbbell Curls felt easy.

Whether I SD everything (including my SS lifts) or travel to another gym during the two weeks of maintenance and start on 10s again, will be contingent on my upcoming max day and what I'll be able to do.

Packed the wrong set of shorts. I was wearing some tight ass shorts that someone had loaned me (and I never returned lol) during high school when I was 20lb lighter. I had them on at home and then went to pack some looser shorts into my backpack and put on some jeans, but I ended up, unbenounced to myself at the time, packing the tight shorts. Holy **** did I feel uncomfortable. I had to keep pulling the leg part down throughout and during Leg Press they looked like ****in' speedos.

Never again...

Plus for the second time in a row, the left ear bud on my headphone came off and went missing, so I couldn't listen to music; not to mention the shorts didn't have pockets so I had to carry all my **** around in my hands.
    Last edited by TangoDown; 06-30-2012 at 05:23 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

The wrong shorts and no music can totally ruin a workout... Especially when you are doing squats or leg press. Although, could be worse. Try wearing a squat suit some time. Haha.
    PRs:

Squat - 485 lbs
    Bench - 315 lbs
    Deadlift - 635 lbs
    Total - 1435 lbs

That's definitely the case.

I also have a problem with my headphones falling out of my ears during bench press/pullups/just about everything I do in the gym. Sick of in-ear, but I work in **** neighborhoods so I'm paranoid about being robbed if I get some big ol' sexy over-ear headphones. Still I might just bite the bullet (and end up biting it, literally lol) and buy me some. Though I could wear one set for gym and one set for everything else. We'll see.

And as for a squat suit, I doubt one has ever seen my gym before. I would be amazed if anybody has squatted over 300lb, let alone worn any power-lifting gear besides a belt.
    Last edited by TangoDown; 07-01-2012 at 11:39 AM.

Sumo DL: 1x5 175lb

Bench: 2x5 70lb dumbbells

Pullups: 2x5 + 22.5lb plate hanging from chain on weight belt.

Leg Press (Quad Dominant): 2x5 275lb

1 Arm Strict OHP: 2x5 52.5lb dumbbells

Dumbbell Curls: 2x5 40b dumbbells + 1.25lb

Everything felt alright, with the exception of deadlift, which felt hard. How could 10lb make such a difference? My groin was in pain afterwards too. Tight hip flexors? Time for foam rolling and PNF I guess. But if I'm nearing my max, it's not much higher than what I was doing with conventional. Now I did warm up with 5 reps of 135lb and then 3 reps of 155lb, but I gave 5 minutes of rest in between each set.

What gives? I've heard of tons of people whose nervous systems catch up and they go from deadlifting like 130lb to 300lb in a couple months. Why am I still stuck with what I'm guessing to be a 5 rep max of under 200lb? My upper body isn't untrained at all and my leg press shot up 60-70lb in a two month span.

Everything else felt fine, with the exception of leg press...but that was probably due to lower body fatigue from deadlift.
    Last edited by TangoDown; 07-02-2012 at 10:37 PM.

Your groin could have been sore due to the position of your feet when you did your deadlift set; if your feet were too far extended outward, your groin very posssibly could have been strained as a point of unintended support - especially if you at all drfited forward during the pull. Deadlifts in general are 100% about form - you'll see your pulling skyrocket once you pull straight up, completely using the stongest pieces of your musculature in the process. Don't be overly concerned about your current progress - get the form as perfect as you can and then start pushing the loads. Your shins should have streaks on 'em when you do a set - whether they're sumos, conventionals or anything in between. That's when you'll know that you're pulling straight.

Good luck, man - keep going.
    "Determination, Perseverance, Resolution, RESURRECTION!"
    Chimaira, Resurrection

Thanks for the advice.

Problem is, my feet don't align with my knees; they're slightly pointed outward, so when I set up for a deadlift the feet go out a lot.

And as you can see from sumo, feet go out a lot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGMgs...feature=fvwrel
    Last edited by TangoDown; 07-03-2012 at 01:41 PM.

First PR day tomorrow. May there be fireworks .

Wish me luck folks.

Quote Originally Posted by TangoDown View Post
    Thanks for the advice.

Problem is, my feet don't align with my knees; they're slightly pointed outward, so when I set up for a deadlift the feet go out a lot.

And as you can see from sumo, feet go out a lot
    I totally get that - I used to do sumos all the time. Thing is - if your feet are too far out and you lean forward at all during the pull, your groin takes a ton of the load and it's not built for it. In the vid - while that guy was pulling a ton, his hips were rising much too quickly at the start of the pull and thus putting a ton of strain on his low back. That's a part of what I was saying before; while the deadlift is very simple as an idea (grab bar, lift bar, put bar down), to get the form completely down is not quite so easy, especially with rising loads.

Good luck with the PR attempt!
    "Determination, Perseverance, Resolution, RESURRECTION!"
    Chimaira, Resurrection

Wait, clarify, by feet far out, do you mean duckfooted (rotated outward), or legs were too far out, meaning the stance was too wide? I thought you meant the rotation of the foot, which is what I meant by "feet go out a lot."

Bench: 1x3 75lb dumbbells

Pullups: 2x5 + 30lb plate hanging from chain on weight belt.

Leg Press (Quad Dominant): 3x5 280lb

1 Arm Strict OHP: 2x5 57.5lb dumbbells

Dumbbell Curls: 2x5 45b dumbbells + 1.25lb

Dumbbell bench, I had someone spot me and I needed a lift off for the first rep (which I didn't count), got 3 reps. I think I could have pushed out 4 if the left dumbbell wasn't slipping out of my hand because my grip was too far inward on the handle. I'll see how much I can push next time, and if it comes out to 3 again, I guess I'll aim for 77.5lb DBs rather than 80lb as my PR for the end of the next cycle. Only did 1 set.

Pullups went better than expected. Broke that PR by 5lb instead of 2.5lb. Used my Versa grips, definitely making a difference because the bar is fat as ****. Hit 4 reps the second set, almost hit 5. Should have given more rest time.

Leg Press went well, definitely felt easier than last time I pushed 280lb, but my groin is still sore. Going to be doing some more myo and 90-90 split squat stretching over the next couple of days. If groin is still sore, I won't deadlift.

1 Arm OHP increased. Note that I only go to 90 degrees on the bottom portion of the lift. I'll go lower when I start barbell military press. Left side only got 4 reps.

Dumbbell curl was very hard but I got all the reps with a little bit of body english at the end - not enough to call it cheating IMO.

Happy 4th, people .
    Last edited by TangoDown; 07-04-2012 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tim
    his hips were rising much too quickly at the start of the pull and thus putting a ton of strain on his low back.
    That was the first thing I noticed, he’s turning most of the pull into a SLDL. Also, he’s not taking the slack up in the bar before pulling. At 405 or so and above you had better take up the slack. However, the biggest problem I see is that he’s not filling his belly with air, instead he’s filling his chest. The body needs more support down low not up in the upper back. Besides watching it happen you can tell because his belt is level around his waist when the front part should be lower around his lower abdomen.

As to the question of foot position there are two issues pulling sumo as I see it. First you want your knees to track over your feet. This gives you the best position for mechanical advantage and the least risk of injury. As to where your toes point a lot of that depends on your flexibility and frankly what allows you to pull more which you can only determine by trial and error. I’ve found that I can get more hamstring activation by keeping my toes slightly inward (i.e. not in line with my legs) and forcefully trying to rotate my toes outward.
    Male: 51 years old
    PRs
    Bench Press 240 lbs. @ 178 lbs. (12 July 2012)
    Power Squat 390 lbs. @ 180 lbs. (10 November 2012)
    Deadlift 390 lbs. @ 180 lbs. (27 November 2012)
    Total 1020 lbs. (finally made it 16 July 2012)