Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: A Semi-Newbie's Training Log - HST/Stronglifts Hybrid

Today's workout:

Deadlift: 1x5 155lb

Bench: 2x15 50lb dumbbells

Pullups: 2x7 + 5lb plate hanging from chain on weight belt.

Narrow Stance Leg Press (Quad Dominant): 3x5 220lb

1 Arm Strict OHP: 1x15 40lb dumbbells

Dumbbell Curls: 2x15 25lb

Everything went well. I did notice on shoulder press that I almost went to failure on my left side, but that might have been due to my friend making me laugh throughout the set (that ****er ). I repeated the deadlift weight that I used previously to check my form.

To the HST/lifting vets: Riptoe recommends 10-15lb increments for deadlifting (for a deadlift noobie like myself). Do you agree with him?

Ankle is holding up. Still weak but hasn't prevented me from doing either leg exercise. Dorsiflexion is still somewhat compromised but not enough to prevent proper form. Still can't squat to parallel though without toppling over or leaning in like a mofo. But I'll get that back...eventually.

I'm thinking next cycle I might switch to barbell shoulder press. I demonstrated it with the bar to my friend today and I enjoyed doing it lol. I'll probably switch to barbell bench press when dumbbell bench press stops progressing or I get tired of it.
    Last edited by TangoDown; 05-22-2012 at 08:08 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Bench: 2x15 50lb dumbbells

Pullups: 2x7 + 5lb plate hanging from chain on weight belt.

Narrow Stance Leg Press (Quad Dominant): 3x5 225lb

1 Arm Strict OHP: 1x15 40lb dumbbells

Dumbbell Curls: 2x15 25lb

Went pretty much the same as Tuesday's workout. Felt a bit weaker on pullups for some reason, but that might have simply been a fluke.

Think I'm going to lower the volume to one set for all my HST exercises when I hit my 15 rep max.

Deadlift: 1x5 165lb

Bench: 2x15 55lb dumbbells

Pullups: 2x7 + 10lb plate hanging from chain on weight belt.

Narrow Stance Leg Press (Quad Dominant): 3x5 230lb

1 Arm Strict OHP: 1x15 45lb dumbbells

Dumbbell Curls: 2x15 30lb

15 rep-max day (HST). Had reps left in the tank for every HST exercise but DB 1-arm OHP. Lost count for OHP because AGAIN, friend started ****ing with me. I'm going to make him leave the room next time .

Leg Press weight is still climbing. Easily pushed out 2 sets. Skipped the 3rd set because I was in a hurry.

Deadlift, I did NOT like my form. Think I'm going to deload and pull sumo. Always felt a lot more stable in a wide stance with toes pointed out when squatting so I am guessing I'll be more coordinated and stronger in a sumo stance. Plus I have a long torso so I think I'll have much better leverage. Makes sense too because my friend pulled 165lb without issue but I push a TON more on leg press (though leg press is not the best exercise to determine overall strength by any means).

Tried a set of squatting with just the bar on back. Went alright, though was a bit uncoordinated. Afterwards though I felt some pain in the ankle I'm rehabbing so I think I'll hold off on squatting for now.

Saw some kid doing some horrid deadlifts. It looked up a good morning because he didn't touch the floor, crossed with Romanian Deadlift, but he looked like the Hunchback of Notre Dame. And beforehand, he did squats that didn't even qualify as quarter squats.

I would have helped him out but I know first hand that people A. don't like others to be nosey, and B. feel butthurt when corrected and generally go back to their ****ty form. So I generally stay out of people's hair in terms of form unless they're about to kill themselves.
    Last edited by TangoDown; 05-26-2012 at 07:17 PM.

Bench: 2x15 55lb dumbbells

Pullups: 2x7 + 10lb plate hanging from chain on weight belt.

Narrow Stance Leg Press (Quad Dominant): 3x5 235lb

1 Arm Strict OHP: 1x15 45lb dumbbells

Dumbbell Curls: 1x15 30lb

Everything is going as planned. Shoulder press I got to count, and I got 14 + 1 rest-pause rep = 15 reps on my right side, and 13 reps on my left side (didn't do rest-pause). I notice I lean a lot to the side at the last reps...think I bring my lats into the movement lol...turns into a bit of a side press. Hopefully I still hit my goal of 60lb for 5 on both sides by the end of the cycle. Then I'm definitely going to switch to barbell overhead press.

Like I said, going to start pulling SUMO for DL and deload to like 95lb and just push up by 10lb until I hit a wall.

Hot tub + sauna afterwards = win.

My friend tried asking the girl at the front desk out. She said no and I lol'd.
    Last edited by TangoDown; 05-28-2012 at 09:37 PM.

Keep up the good work man...have you been making any weight gains even though thats not what your going for? And the girls at the front desks at gyms seem friendly, but usually aren't THAT friendly lol

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm about 155lb now, maybe a little bit more. Once I hit like 170lb I'm going to be close to 20% BF so that's why I'm not going absolutely insane. And yeah, I feel that LOL.

Hot tub + sauna is going to affect your hydration significantly, worth remembering that you'll want to compensate for that.

Sumo DL: 2x5 95lb

Bench: 2x10 50lb dumbbells + 5/8lb

Pullups: 2x5 + 7.5lb plate hanging from chain on weight belt.

Narrow Stance Leg Press (Quad Dominant): 3x5 240lb

1 Arm Strict OHP: 1x10 40lb dumbbells + 1.25lb

Dumbbell Curls: 1x10 25lb dumbbells + 1.25lb

As promised, deloaded down to 95lb and pulled Sumo. Felt a lot easier to get into the bottom position. Couldn't really compare ease of lifting the weight to conventional stance though because the weight is too light atm. Did get some looks when I stacked two 45lb plates on either side of the floor to compensate for not using 45s on the bar. But then I realize most of the people in the weight room deadlift with anus form and squat with a 6 inch ROM, if they even do the movements at all. Hence I didn't give a ****.

Leg press is starting to get a bit harder, though I oddly found the 3rd set the easiest. I think I'll be hitting my max when I'm pushing 260lb-270lb. Note that the leg press in my gym is not plate loaded; it's one of those machines with the weight that goes up and down on the side and goes up by 20lb unless you add up to 3 of the 5lb weights on the side.

Did 2 sets just because the weight was so light that there was no need for a warmup. But Riptoe says it's better to be conservative with the weight than liberal, and I did think I started too high when I was pulling conventional + the fact that I think I'm more built for sumo seeing as I squat wide stance + feet out as a mofo and have a stronger posterior chain.

Everything else went normally. Added 1.25lb to all my freeweight lifts save for bench, where I added 5/8lb because I used 2 dumbbells. Reason being, like I said, I want to push my maxes. I believe my gym has 1.25lb magnet weights as opposed to my 5/8lb magnet weights, so I might just use those instead.
    Last edited by TangoDown; 05-30-2012 at 06:16 PM.

My personal recommendation is for a BB bench rather than a DB one. The degree of stabilisation required using DB's makes strength increases much slower.

I'm going to switch to BB when I stop progressing.

As for OHP, I'm switching to BB next cycle.