Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: A Semi-Newbie's Training Log - HST/Stronglifts Hybrid

That's the problem; I can't track my knees with my feet. It's physiologically impossible for me.

I will narrow my stance a bit, watch hip raise, and see what happens. I also started some hip mobility stuff which is always good.
    Last edited by TangoDown; 07-04-2012 at 10:11 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

I know that you have an issue with your glute development however there must be some leg/foot position that allows your knees to track with your feet. By tracking with your feet I don’t mean that your knees move as your toes are pointed or even stay directly above your feet. I’m talking about your knee hinging so that your shin, knee and thigh stay in the same relationship (plane of movement) to each other throughout the lift. In other words your knee should not be moving either in or out in relation to the bones above and below it. It should stay in the same relative position to them throughout the lift even it is naturally inside or outside the direct line drawn from your hip joint to your ankle.

If this means lifting with your feet together then I would suggest this is preferable than forcing yourself into a sumo stance if doing so causes your knees to cave inwards or move outwards since in both cases you are likely to get injured.

If I’m not on track with what you are experiencing then the only thing I can suggest it that you post a video of your Deadlift technique since I’m not understanding what problem you are experiencing.
    Male: 51 years old
    PRs
    Bench Press 240 lbs. @ 178 lbs. (12 July 2012)
    Power Squat 390 lbs. @ 180 lbs. (10 November 2012)
    Deadlift 390 lbs. @ 180 lbs. (27 November 2012)
    Total 1020 lbs. (finally made it 16 July 2012)

Oh, if you mean the knee caving in during the lift, my knees don't do that. I've never had any issues while deadlifting and squatting where my knees buckled. They just simply stay not aligned with my feet regardless of what I do, but they stay in the same relative position during the lift. Think of someone who is knock-kneed. I am duck-footed (though not grotesquely). If I point my feet straight ahead, my knees point inward - at all times. Other than runners knee my knees are fine.

My problem with the lift was it's not progressing like some people claim - i.e. they go from pulling 130lb to pulling 270-300lb within a couple months due to nuero-adaptation. I went up 60-70lb on my leg press, and my upper body is not untrained. I pulled 175lb Sumo for 5 last time and it felt hard. Don't know if that was because I pulled 155lb 5 minutes beforehand as part of my warm up (for 3 reps), or because of form.

Otherwise, the issue I was discussing was that at the insertion between the leg and the pelvis at the groin, I have some irritation now. I think it may be due to the stance I'm taking, which is very wide. Reason being I see people doing sumo where their feet are almost at the plates, but I guess I didn't factor in that most of the videos have lifters that are 6 feet or more, whereas I'm 5'8 so proportionally my stance would be wider if my feet were inches from the plates versus someone who was over 6 feet doing the same thing.

Next time I can get a friend into the gym (though my gym makes me pay $15 per guest visit), I'll have them record me for reference.
    Last edited by TangoDown; 07-04-2012 at 10:50 PM.

A very wide stance can cause problem with your hip which it sounds like you are experiencing. You are correct in that most of the people with their feet out to the plates are tall to start with so if you’re like me and not so tall the feet must come in to keep the angles relatively the same. I’m 5’6” and have found so far that the best leg position for me is such that my shins cross the bar at the rings which puts my feet just outside the rings. However, the only way to find the best foot position for you is to try out different positions and see what works best.

Comparing your progression to that of others is a big mistake. My Deadlift has progressed mostly in fits and spurts. When I first started about a year and a half ago it took me forever to get from about 155 to 225 where I stuck for some time. Then I managed a jump to about 285 and got stuck again. Then I got up to 330 and again got stuck. So basically it’s taken me about a year and a half to go from about 155 to 385. The one thing I’ve found is that if you want to achieve maximal strength in a particular lift (vs. maximize hypertrophy) then I wouldn’t drop the weight down to low with each new cycle. In other words if you are more interested in increasing your deadlift than overall hypertrophy I wouldn’t drop below 80% or so of your 1RM when starting a new cycle. OTOH it doesn’t hurt to build a good base of muscle before focusing mainly on pure power. However, as far as being a Deadlift expert I defer to Tot who clearly has been doing something right.
    Male: 51 years old
    PRs
    Bench Press 240 lbs. @ 178 lbs. (12 July 2012)
    Power Squat 390 lbs. @ 180 lbs. (10 November 2012)
    Deadlift 390 lbs. @ 180 lbs. (27 November 2012)
    Total 1020 lbs. (finally made it 16 July 2012)

Thanks for the tips. I'll line my shins up with the rings of the bar and see if that's more efficient for me, and if it's not I'll continue to screw around with stance width.

You say don't drop below 80% of 1 rep max. Thing is, I'm on Starting Strength for the lower body, which is specifically a 5 rep-program. Hence if my 1 rep max is about 215lb (I'm guessing, if I'm able to pull 185lb for 5 next time), then 175lb is about 80% of my 1 rep max. So unless I change up the rep range I don't have much room between 80% of my 1 rep max and my 5 rep max.

Now, 80% of my 5 rep max seems more feasible since SS has you take 10% off the bar each time you stall (you stall 2-3 times before you move onto the intermediate SS program or another program).

Wendler's 5/3/1 looks pretty enjoyable as per something I can do after I exhaust SS but I want to milk my HST protocol as much as possible and all the assistance work 5/3/1 has you do seems like volume through the roof. Too bad I haven't been able to squat yet due to a lack of dorsiflexion in my ankle from the injury I had earlier in the year. I mean, I can squat, but only if shins stay essentially only a bit more bent forward than vertical to the floor, which is doable I guess.

Didn't post because had a crazy weekend.

Anyway, last gym session was fail. Went in, did 72.5lb DBs for bench for 6 reps, deadlifted 185lb for 5 (hard as hell), then ****ed up and put too much weight on my pullups because I thought I grabbed a 25lb plate when I grabbed a 35lb plate. So I did 40lb off my belt (used another 5lb plate) and did 2 reps and almost got a third.

Then I just left without doing anything else. Didn't touch leg press because my hip flexors died.

I tried sumo deadlift in as best form as I could (though I obviously couldn't video tape myself). My hips are somewhat high on sumo at the bottom of the lift, but not anything like a SLDL. Still, my torso isn't extremely upright at the beginning of the lift because otherwise my hips would need to be low, but I think that if I keep my hips low I'll just raise my hips too fast on the lift, which is what I don't want. Still, I can't observe myself throughout the lift but in this case I don't think my hips were traveling up too quickly so I should be fine in that regard. I also narrowed my stance, my feet being a bit less than at the rings of the bar (I have short legs and a long torso), and my hip flexors/groin still burned as a mofo after the set.

Honestly, I don't know if it's lactic acid and then DOMs in that area or if something is wrong with the lift. Obviously at a wide stance your hip flexors are going to take a large chunk of the load.

I've got to get myself video taped.

Thinking about going in and testing my barbell OHP rep maxes. I've got to anyway or because my gym is closing soon, I'll be SDing for like 3 weeks. Obviously I don't want that. Alternatively, I could just start light weight and go up 5lb every session like how starting strength does their ****, but my shoulders aren't untrained like my legs are/were so other than some neurological boost from learning the new movement, I shouldn't see a big increase in numbers there.

We'll see.
    Last edited by TangoDown; 07-08-2012 at 08:06 PM.

Been a while since I updated this thread. Currently on SD. Tested my bodyweight squat for form in the mirror and my hip and ankle mobility is the best it's ever been thanks to the ankle resistance work, leg press, and 90-90 split squat. My torso is almost upright when I hit parallel (barely any forward lean), and there's no butt-wink whatsoever. This will probably change if I adopt a low bar squat.

Think I might drop the leg press and get under a naked Olympic bar when I start up again and see where that'll get me. Don't expect my numbers to be anywhere close to good at this point but I'll probably be the first guy my gym has ever seen going to parallel on the squat LOL.

How much stretching do you do, especially in regard to your hip? I think you may really benefit from some good, old fashioned stretching sessions that last a good 30 minutes or more. Open up your hips and stretch your hams - may do you a world of good.
    "Determination, Perseverance, Resolution, RESURRECTION!"
    Chimaira, Resurrection

Start of Cycle:

Squat: 3x5 115lb

Bench: 2x15 52.5lb dumbbells

Pullups: 3x5 + 15lb plate hanging from chain on weight belt.

Dumbbell Standing Strict OHP: 2x15 35lb dumbbells

Dumbbell Curls: 1x15 25b dumbbells + 1.25lb

Started the new cycle today. Everything felt good. Squatted for the first time, and used low bar. I'm more coordinated now in a narrower stance than I was (used to have to squat wide as hell), so that's what I did. I think my form is pretty spot on. I started with a 45lb bar and worked up until the bar slowed a bit. Hopefully my numbers will climb.

Didn't get to deadlift because the only squat rack in the gym was being used by a couple who were taking turns 1/6th squatting like 225lb. smh.

Decided to do dumbbell standing OHP with 2 dumbbells as opposed to 1 (because the squat rack was being used so I couldn't do barbell military press), and felt my traps being used a lot more than before. Might just stick with this for a bit and see how I progress.

DOMS city...lol guess I SD'd like a pro.