Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help to HST diett

He recomends a lot less protein than you why ???

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hst5.htm
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by jan_banan View Post

Generally, there is no consensus as to how much protein one should intake and levels of protein consumption depend on what sport you're training for (bodybuilding, powerlifting, athletics, etc), as well as how much time you've been putting in under the bar, and how large your bulk is (generally, if you're going to be taking in 5000 calories a day, you're going to be taking in substantially more protein than someone consuming 3000 calories a day).

Aim for about 2 grams/kg bodyweight, or 1 gram/lb bodyweight as a minimum if your caloric intake is between 2500 and 3000, because that's probably the easiest to do.

The point Totz was trying to make was that it's safe to consume much higher levels of protein if your kidneys are healthy. Just make sure to compensate with water intake (drink more water).

As Tango noted, there is not a lot of consistency in recommendations for protein intake. With Bryan's article, part of his point was to emphasis the importance of carbs in a diet where you are eating for size. This is a very important point to make.
    PRs:

Squat - 485 lbs
    Bench - 315 lbs
    Deadlift - 635 lbs
    Total - 1435 lbs

So how many gram of carbs do i need per kg??

So how many gram of carbs do i need per kg??

As per Bryan's article and my recommendations as well, you should figure out how many calories total you need, then figure the percentage from fat, subtract that, figure how many calories you are getting from protein, subtract that... and what you are left with is how many calories you should be consuming from carbohydrates. For example, here is my current diet breakdown:

calorie target: 4600
    25% from fat = 1150 (appx 130 grams of fat)
    400 grams of protein = 1600 calories
    Remainder = 1850 calories from carbs
    1850 calories = appx 460 grams of carbs

This is just an example on how to do the math. As always, calories should be based on bodyweight with modifiers for activity level, etc if necessary. Always figure carbs last once you satisfy your fat and protein requirements. Fat is important for a variety of reasons including hormonal balance and maintaining joint health, protein is obvious and without carbs you will find it exceedingly difficult to build strength or tolerate a decent amount of volume in your workouts. As for what fats, proteins, carbs, that is a different debate.
    PRs:

Squat - 485 lbs
    Bench - 315 lbs
    Deadlift - 635 lbs
    Total - 1435 lbs

Thanks man

Just as a general note of possible warning, I (and many but not all others) have found that having anywhere near those recommended carb levels does indeed lead to the most growth, but also lots of fat gain. I think it depends on how much insulin your body secretes in response to eating carbs. Moreover, to maintain muscle while cutting requires only a small fraction of the protein levels discussed here.

Depends on what you are going far (super lean or mass), but just be aware of the potential for some serious fat gain.
    Just saying this because i found out the hard way

You want more insulin. Insulin is the most anabolic hormone in your body. Why would you want to minimize that?

And if you are bulking and not gaining fat, then you aren't bulking.
    PRs:

Squat - 485 lbs
    Bench - 315 lbs
    Deadlift - 635 lbs
    Total - 1435 lbs

oh, agreed. Its a matter of degrees, i guess. Insulin is a necessary component of putting on muscle for sure. I was just saying that some people have bigger insulin responses than others and store more fat as a result of eating carbs than others, like me. I have some serious diminishing returns after a certain point when it comes to % of diet from carbs. Wanted to throw out a word of caution in case the fellow was one of us

Personally speaking, I prefer the fat gain and not being uber-ripped (the strange walnut-in-a-condom look never appealed to me) alongside abundant muscle growth to being said-walnut.

Also, IMO, I find fat-gain minimised if I eat the carbs around my workout (though this might just be anecdotal//speculative) and when cutting, eat your carbs pre-workout so your energy levels are higher for that period.

@Totentanz - how in the world do you ingest that level of fat every single day? I probably get a lot less dietary fat than I should, but 100+ grams would make me extremely nauseous (even over the ~16hr period).
    Last edited by AlexAustralia; 09-26-2012 at 12:33 AM.