Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Losing arch in my lower back during squat

Rippetoe specifically says not to put a block under your heels as this will shorten the hamstring leading to a loss of strength.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Really ? I read it in his starting strength 2nd edition book It was on pg 51 or pg 57 (ebook)
    Deadlift - 308lbs
    Squat -286lbs
    Bench - 154lbs
    Total-748lbs
    BW-154lbs

He does spend most of his time in that book going over mistakes.

Yes really, have another look at where he talks about using a block under the heels there is a diagram and a paragraph where he goes into more detail.

He says that putting a block under your heel will work to stop the tuck under but that this not really addressing the cause of the problem.

If you're talking about what Crossfitters deem "butt wink", I know there's a big debate over if it's an issue or not. I'd think that if it's not due to tightness/weakness in the glutes/hamstrings/hip flexors, then it would simply be a function of your bone structure due to either anterior or posterior pelvic tilt, which isn't uncommon.

Like CDB says, foam rolling won't hurt. I've done it on my hamstrings in the past and I definitely increased ROM. It's not good to do as a warm out though so do it either after your workouts or on off days. If you deload, you can throw it into your deload/active recovery week too.

Also learn how to PNF stretch and PNF your hip-flexors (you can PNF your other stuff if you have a partner or resistance band). Needs recovery days in between PNF sessions.

If hamstring flexibility and hip mobility are increased but "butt wink" stays the same even when using no weight, I'd think it's a function of your bone structure.

The block under your heels thing; wouldn't that be placing your foot into planterflexion, which would be similar to squatting on your tip-toes? Unless I'm mistaking the utilization of the block, I'd think that'd be horrible for your knees. Maybe Riptoe was just using it as an example; not necessarily as a "go-out-and-do-this?"

It depends how severe the tuck is, if it is severe your back will get pulled into flexion which is an issue.

From what I understand the tuck can be caused by either lack of flexibility in the hamstring, poor proprioception (knowing whether the arch is still there or not) or a lack of core stability.

As for the block under the heel, I had a similar thought about it being bad for the knees.

I have been doing stretches if I warm up and really stretch my hamstrings and glutes I'm able to just maintain the arch, but when I don't stretch my back gets pulled into flexion and my squats start looking like good-mornings. With the block my knees are fine but I'm going to stop using it because it's not really needed anymore and it's better to stay safe then be sorry. Sorry for replying so late, I am going to do some start PNF stretches.

Thanks
    Aamar
    Deadlift - 308lbs
    Squat -286lbs
    Bench - 154lbs
    Total-748lbs
    BW-154lbs