Page 1 of 45 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Nativetroutbum's Training Log... comments/critique welcome!!!

Default Nativetroutbum's Training Log... comments/critique welcome!!!

I am a 35-year-old male and a HST newbie. I am eager to hear feedback/critiques of my workouts and I hope to be able to provide meaningful comments toward other membertraining logs.

For most of my life I've worked out, always being involved in sports, Wrestling, Baseball, and Rugby. I've never had any real direction in the gym outside of the occassional coach or other fella' recommending this or that. From age 26-30, I didn't pick up a weight with any regularity... I essentially "let myself go." Marriage, kids, and career were convenient excuses... About 3 years ago, my wife and I discovered that we would be having a 3rd child, a boy; my son!! Around this time I made a number of changes in my life recognizing that I needed to be physically fit to both protect my family and to project a positive image of masculinity to my beautiful daughters, to their prospective boyfriends , and most importantly, to my son.

I've been working out regularly now for about 3 years; reading WAY too many articles; taking WAY too many supplements; and trying WAY too many different workout programs. I've made some gains in strength and muscle size, but I've not gained as much as I feel like I SHOULD have. I've dropped from ~180lbs and 20+% bf to ~165lbs and about 12-13% bf. Current PR's are the following: Squat: 275x5, Deadlift: 295x5, Flat Bench: 225x5.

I only have access to my "office gym," which by "office gym" standards is quite robust; pretty much have all the basics covered.

My first three weeks with HST were an adventure of constant tinkering/tweaking as I tried to get everything "dialed-in."

Tomorrow I go on vacation for a week and a half with the family; so I will begin my "dialed-in" HST routine on Monday 16 July; I look forward to sharing my HST experience here; and I look forward to reading your comments/critiques.

Thank you!

-Nativetroutbum
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Got my last workout in before going on vacation. Figured I would see if I could push the edge of my 15 RM's and increase the weight slightly.

Squats, 2 sets, 190 x 15 (may be able to add a few lbs here)
    Deadlifts ("sumo" style), 2 sets, 205 x15 (2nd set was brutal but I got it)
    Standing Shoulder Press, 2 sets, 85 x15... still had a few reps left in the tank so then did 95x12. 90 is probably my 15rm right now. This is definitely a weak spot for me having just started doing shoulder presses this way. I am looking forward to progressing here.
    Weighted Chins, 2 sets, +10 pounds x15 (started losing form toward the end of both sets, might place these before deadlifts next time. (thoughts anyone?)
    Straight Dips, 2 sets, Bodyweight x15. +10 or 15 lbs is probably my 15rm.
    Single Arm DB Bent rows, 2 sets, 50lb DB x 15 (may bump this up to 55 for my 15rm)
    BB Flat Bench, 2 sets, 135x15 (will also increase this slightly, 145 is probably my 15rm)
    Shrugs, 2 sets, 185x15
    Standing Calf Raises, 2 sets, 135x15
    Crunches (skipped)

As always, if anyone has any comments about workout composition, exercise order, etc... please reply! and thank you in advance!!

As a general rule for exercise order you want to do one of two things, either start with the hardest exercises and progress to the easiest or if you have a particular weakness you wish to address then start with the weak link or at least put the weak link before any other exercises that target the same muscle groups. Additionally if you are doing a full body workout alternate between muscle-groups to give each a rest again with the exception being if you have a lagging body part you to emphasize.

Overall you have a great exercise selection I would just suggest you reorder them like this unless you have a reason to do otherwise:

Deadlifts
    Standing Shoulder Press
    Weighted Chins
    Squats
    Dips
    DB Rows
    Calf Raises
    Flat Bench (personally I would ditch this since you are doing Presses and Dips)
    Shrugs
    Crunches (I would also ditch this one unless you have a sports specific reason for doing them)

I would add in some sort of medial delt exercise like Lateral Raises or Upright Rows.

Keep in mind that there is no “best HST routine” which IMO is one of the best aspects of implementing the HST principles. Design the program to suit your needs.
    Male: 51 years old
    PRs
    Bench Press 240 lbs. @ 178 lbs. (12 July 2012)
    Power Squat 390 lbs. @ 180 lbs. (10 November 2012)
    Deadlift 390 lbs. @ 180 lbs. (27 November 2012)
    Total 1020 lbs. (finally made it 16 July 2012)

As G11 said, there is no "perfect" HST routine, and I agree that you chose great exercises. You may want to consider having an A and a B routine, especially as loads go up. The one concern I have is fatiguing your CNS too quickly by doing all the primary lifts (Deadlift, Squat, Bench) and a host of accessory lifts that essentially hit what will be destroyed fibers in the 10's and 5's. One thing I think everyone new to HST snould read is the Simplify N Win thread here.

What if you had an A routine that looked something like this:
    Deadlifts
    Standing Shoulder Press
    Dips
    DB Rows
    Crunches

And a B routine that looks like this:
    Squats
    Weighted Chins
    Flat Bench
    Calf Raises
    Shrugs

This still allows you to get a full body WO but allows more room for you to progress each lift and - more importantly for hypertrophy - recover. Dunno - just my take on it. No matter what - welcome to the forum, and best of luck as you move forward.
    "Determination, Perseverance, Resolution, RESURRECTION!"
    Chimaira, Resurrection

Thank you for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it!! We got back from Disney yesterday and I am beat... I feel like I need a vacation from my vacation
    That said, I'm ready to get back into the gym after my 9 days of "out of cycle strategic deconditioning"...

For 15's and the first week of 10's I'm tentatively scheduled to do the following:

Sumo DeadliftX2
    Standing PressX2
    Weighted ChinsX2
    SquatsX2
    Weighted DipsX2
    Upright RowsX1
    DB RowsX2
    Calf RaisesX2
    DB Flat BenchX1
    ShrugsX2
    CrunchesX2

For the 2nd week for 10's and all of 5's (5's for me will be 4 weeks as I have no consistent training partner to assist with negatives) I will split into an A/B routine as follows:
    A (Monday, Friday, Wednesday)
    Sumo DeadliftsX2
    Standing PressX2
    DipsX2
    DB RowsX2
    Leg PressX1
    CrunchesX2

B (Wednesday, Monday, Friday)
    SquatsX2
    Upright RowsX1
    Weighted ChinsX2
    Stiff Leg DeadliftsX1
    DB Flat BenchX2
    Calf RaisesX2
    ShrugsX2

I'm still a bit confused about the number of sets for each exercise during each phase. For 15's it seems ok to do 2 sets on pretty everything because the weights are relatively low... on the flipside, doing multiple sets (even 3???) during 5's seems ok because the number of reps is low... I just want to ensure that I'm setting myself up correctly.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!!
    Last edited by nativetroutbum; 07-14-2012 at 02:14 PM.

It looks like you’ve got a very good plan worked out.

As far as exercise selection the only suggestion I would make is when you change to the split routine drop the crunches and do Calf Raises every workout. Calves need a lot of volume to respond even very little since you are constantly using them. Your Abs are going to get a good workout just doing the other exercises and adding in is just going to take up time and net you almost nothing hypertrophy wise. OTOH if you are doing a sport that requires strong Abs like boxing or powerlifting then doing that sort of direct core work is beneficial for the sport. If you want good looking Abs when not wearing a shirt then cutting body fat is the only way that’s going to happen.

As for number of sets there are several ways people have done it. The most basic way is 1x15, 2x10, 3x5 which keeps the volume relatively close between each micro cycle. If you want to do 2x15 (I can sympathize since 1x15 never seemed like it would be enough) then you might consider doing 2x15, 3x10 and at least start out with 5x5. That also keeps the volume relatively constant throughout the cycle. keep in mind that as you approach your 5RM you can drop down to 4x5, 3x5 or even 2x if you find that you can’t recover from the higher volume.

As for going past the 5s you might also consider making the last week or second to last week 3s. If you do 3s the second to last week then you could make the last week a test week and retest your 15, 10 and 5 RMs before starting an SD.

Also there is no absolute rule that a cycle must last 8 weeks, you can always make it longer or shorter to suit your individual needs, however sticking to as close to the basics as you can is probably a good way to start. You can always tweak each new cycle based on what you’ve learned in the previous ones.
    Male: 51 years old
    PRs
    Bench Press 240 lbs. @ 178 lbs. (12 July 2012)
    Power Squat 390 lbs. @ 180 lbs. (10 November 2012)
    Deadlift 390 lbs. @ 180 lbs. (27 November 2012)
    Total 1020 lbs. (finally made it 16 July 2012)

Great feedback, Grunt, thank you!

I will indeed take your suggestion regarding abs and calves. I was not genetically blessed with much muscle in my calves, they lag my quads/hams horribly so I really need them to beef up... I currently do not have any athletic need for super-abs, though I'm thinking about getting into Jiu-Jitsu and/or Muay Thai... I suppose if I get into that, I'll change all of my training quite a bit.

I think I will also go with 1, 2 and 3 sets for 15s, 10s and 5s respectively. For my first cycle, I might just go ahead and do 4 weeks of 5's; I'll simply increase the weight every workout over 4 weeks instead of 2. I will then take week 9 for SD, though if I need to really tweak maxes, I'll do that during week 9 and SD during week 10.

I'm sure I will learn a lot during this first cycle, and will do a bit of tweaking for my 2nd cycle.

Again, thank you for your help!

I gotta throw something in here. I love the changes made - but consider moving the crunches from your A to your B routine, and if you really find that it's a time crunch (no pun intended), superset your calf and ab work. If nothing else - it will at times feel very metabolic and you should feel pretty amazing after all is said and done.

G11's spot on with the calf-volume thing. If you really want to jump your development, do the calf raises single leg. I found that rep ranges in the 25-40 work best - but be ready to feel some rather intense lactic acid flows during and after the sets. You can get through 'em - but stretch like it's your job afterward or walking two days later will be not only a challenge - it will hurt like no tomorrow.

The whole core strength thing loses quite a few in the lifting community. Thing is - a strong core, in particular strong abs - will really help you maintain form when your deadlifts get really heavy. And - they will get really heavy. The tendency will be for your hips to rise faster than the rest of you, and one big reason for that is that the front part of the core isn't strong enough to maintain a consistent form throughout the pull. You'll be able to do the reps, but the risk of injury is increased. Something to definitely consider.
    Last edited by _tim; 07-17-2012 at 08:14 AM. Reason: incomplete thoughts...
    "Determination, Perseverance, Resolution, RESURRECTION!"
    Chimaira, Resurrection

Thanks for the feedback, Tim. Will definitely take your advice about crunches.

I did "myo-reps" for my calf raises on Monday and they are aching like crazy tonight... We'll see how they feel tomorrow, might try your recommendation for single leg calf raises, or I'll just continue blasting away like I did on Monday.
    Last edited by nativetroutbum; 07-17-2012 at 11:08 PM.

Finished up 15's yesterday. I started this program at a BW of 165; I was 169.5 after my workout on Friday. I've been eating like a horse...

Sumo Deadlifts 1x205
    Standing Press 1x100
    Weighted Chins 1xBW+15
    Squats 1x205
    Weighted Dips 1xBW+30
    Upright Rows 1x85
    DB Bent Rows 1x60lb db's (tad too light)
    Calf Raises 1x135+myo reps (~10 mini sets of 3) Calves are responding well to the craziness of myo-reps; can see/feel a change already!!
    DB Bench (flat) 1x70lb db's
    Shrugs 1x190 (tad too light)
    Crunches 1x35

Left shoulder is hurting a bit; seems like a rotator cuff issue, so I've been doing re-hab/pre-hab at the end of my workouts; seems to be helping a bit, but it might limit what I can do on standing presses going forward. Seems to be the only exercise that bothers my shoulder, though sometimes when I grab the bar for squats it also hurts a bit... frustrating.

My schedule was 100%. Workouts M, W, F and light cardio T, T and Saturday. My cardio consisted of an up-hill walk on the treadmill. 12% grade at 3.5 speed for 25 minutes. Much harder than I thought it would be at first...

So Monday begins 10's and I have a question, and I think I know the answer:
    When I begin 10's, should my weights at least equal my 15 rep max? I think the answer is 'yes,' but wanted to make sure. I'm actually at weights slightly higher than I had expected at the end of 15's, so my "planned" weight progression over the course of the 8 week plan is a little further along... I suppose this is a good "problem" to have )

So, I'm planning to start my first day of 10's with 2 sets of 10 at the same weights of my 15 rep maxs.

Oh, one more question: How long do ya'll typically wait between sets at early and late 10's? Any different than at 5's?? Am I overthinking this?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!!
    Last edited by nativetroutbum; 07-28-2012 at 07:08 PM. Reason: forgot cardio...