15 reps and stop?

Discussion in 'Hypertrophy-Specific Training (HST)' started by Massiker, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Massiker

Massiker New Member

Hi - I'm new to HST and setting up a plan. So in the first week I'm using pretty light weight - it seems like it's going to be really easy. Do I just stop at 15 reps then even if I can do more? Thanks!

2. TangoDown

TangoDown Member

Yes. You start at 70-75% of your 15RM, so the weight should be really light the first day (though deconditioning might make subsequent weight feel heavier than you think it will).

Do 15 reps per set. The methodology of the program is to grow from lower loads, not take lower weights to failure.

3. Totentanz

Totentanz Super Moderator Staff Member

4. BPM

BPM Member

Yes, even when you can do more reps, stop a 15. When you get to 10s stop at 10. Same with 5s.

Adding more work (reps in this case) when it's not time for it messes with what progressive loading does for you.

5. Massiker

Massiker New Member

Thanks, guys. Looking forward to some HST.

6. Old and Grey

Old and Grey Super Moderator Staff Member

But make sure you hit you max, or darn close to it, on your last workout of each set range.

7. faz

faz Active Member

not really because your load is still progressing,i always do more on the first wk of 15s as im sure i have read bryan does the same.

8. Lol

Lol Super Moderator Staff Member

When I was doing HST cycles, I'd invariably do more than 15 reps during the first week of 15s. That's mainly because I like to use quite a fast rep cadence.
    There's always going to be a point where, if you slow things down enough, you will only manage your 15 rep target. I prefer not to slow things down and so I add more reps and go for the burn.