How many lb to notice a differrence

Bren86

Hi everyone. Well I've done a hst training routine before but didn't put on a single lb.

When the new year came round I looked at my body and I fealt it really dose need a change. I hate how I look. I'm 5,11 and I weight 11 stone.

I've just finished my 4th week of HST and have put on 6lb. Which I feel very happy about seen as I havn't put on weight from training in the past. 4 Weeks ago I was 10 stone 8 lb. I have changed how I eat alot. My "diet" looks like this.

Beans on toast and 2 bananas
go gym
plate of pasta and tin of tuna and a protein shake
sandwhich = either ham,cheese or tuna sandwhich
main family meal weathers its, take away or a cooked meal.
plate of pasta and tin of tuna and a protein shake
and to drink either water or orange with the orange bits init.

I normaly eat around every 2 or 3 hours or so. It seems to be working so far but I really can't see a difference considering I've nearly put on half a stone.
Time my 20th birthday which is at the end of july my goal is to be atleast 12stone. I hate wearing just a tshirt. I wanna look like I actually go gym when I wear t shirts.

Last time I checked I was 12% body fat so will I look much different when I'm 12 stone and isit possible for me to put on 14lb in just afeiw months. I know I've put on 6lb in 4 weeks but I just keep thinking its a one off thing and I all of a sudden stop gaining weight
sad.gif

Feel free to comment on my diet.

your diet seems ok so does the weight gain,it is unlikely that you will put that much lean muscle in such a short period without some of it being fat,depending on how long youve been training it becomes harder and harder to pack muscle on,just keep going and youll be fine.

Hi mate. Well yeah I thought it was to good to be true as I just weighed myself this morning and I weigh 10stone.11.5lbs.
I just gonna stop weighing myself with clothes on or about a gallon of liquids in me to stop any more disapointments.
sad.gif

I'm prepared to stick at it though.

I had to start goin gym when I was 14 because I dammaged my lower back and had to go to the gym to strenghen my abs and lower back to support my spine. I'd say I stuck at the gym for like 2 years and then I stopped going to the gym as my back was fine. Now I'm back in the gym purely to gain weight, muscly, fat. I ain't to fussed. I just wanna look more fuller.

Thanks for replying.

It's important that you not get discouraged. Do what you know you need to do to gain the weight you want, and then stick to it until it happens for you. It may take a few months, it may take a few years.

For me, growth has never been a steady process. I grow for a while, then I stop. Some time later I notice more gains. Then I don't for a while. Its a process that takes time and dedication.

One thing I would suggest is to drink your protein about 30 minutes before you get to the gym in the morning.

-bryan

So if I take the protein drink before the gym. Shal I take one after the gym aswell Then another at night before I go to bed.

Yeah I'm trying my hardest not to get discouraged. Its the eating thats the hard work. I've nearly been sick like 3 times while I'm eating. I'm not normally a big eater at all.

When I'm pumped up in the gym or when I tense my muscles I feel that I look ok but soon as I relax I kinda just go slim again and some mirrors are evil lol some can make me look so slim, well I suppose I am. Also clothes can make a big difference on how you look aswell I suppose.

Anyway if I keep putting on the lbs I suppose what I'm doing is right.

Hi Bren,

I'm 5"10. When I started training again, about 4 1/2 months ago, I was 11 stone 12lb, with bodyfat around 10%. Getting back into training after 20 years (! ) I started on HIT. After a month and a half of HIT training, I discovered HST and switched to using HST priciples.

That was three months ago. I am now just over 14 stone and I'm hoping to reach 14 1/2 stone (203lb) by the end of this cycle. I'm about to start on 5s which is when I make my best gains. My body fat is now more like 13-15% but my strength gains are going up really well so I'm not just packing on the fat! :D

Like you, I have found eating enough has been a big lifestyle change! Increasing your intake gradually, rather than trying to do it in one big jump, will feel less like you are force-feeding yourself. That way your body has time to acclimatise. I find drinking calories (milky protein drinks) has helped me to get enough extra protein, carbs and fats. And now I try to have a cooked breakfast of eggs, in some form, bacon and toast everyday rather than a bowl of cereal - which I now eat at night instead!

Bryan's suggestion of having a protein drink before and after training has worked wonders! Definitely do this if you can. I have been taking creatine daily too. It's a job to know how much benefit I have seen from using it, but I haven't had any adverse effects. My muscles are certainly feeling more 'full' than I can ever remember, but whether or not this is down to creatine I don't know.

I am really starting to "see" the results now. So if you eat right and train right (using HSN and HST principles) you will see your results sooner than you think. Just be sure to stick at it.

Also, set yourself goals for the weights you want to be able lift after the 5s. This cycle (post 5s) I'm going to try to get at least a few reps with 315lb for my squats. Last cycle my 5RM was 235lb which I have just done for 2 sets of 10 this cycle (reckon I could have reached 15!) I'm chuffed to bits. I don't expect my progress to continue at this rate but I really want to be able to squat with 400lb by this time next year.

It's early days as yet so stay positive, work hard on the big compound movements, eat well and you will get the results you desire. Do keep us posted!

Cheers,

Lol

Hi Lol welldone on your gains. Those are what I like to read on this site as it re motivates me alot. I'm def gonna do the protien before and after training.

Since I've been eating alot my strengh has gone up to. Yesterday it was my last day on 5's so it was my 5rm day. On all excercises I did 3 sets and some I did 4 sets. The weights was far to light since when I found my 5rm about 5 weeks ago. So I plan on adding 4kg or 10kg to some of the excercises. But on the pully excercises like lat pulldowns that was still difficult so I plan on keeping that the same weight.

I don't plan on doing negatives for the next two weeks this time round. I'm gonna do 1 week of my 5 rep max's then the second week I'm gonna test my new rep maxes on my 10s and 5s. Then I'm gonna have 2 weeks off from the gym but still keep up the eating.

My goals for the weights I'm going to lift is just to beable to do at least 2 sets on the repmax days but with the heavier weight added on.

When you say work hard on the big compound excercises. Do you mean like correct posture etc. As most of the time during the start of the hst program I feel like I could have done more sets because the weights arent as heavy as they are later in the cycle. At the start of hst I was doing 4 sets on all excercises.

I also plan on making changes in my diet for the start of my next cycle. Heres the what I plan on eating dayly.

2 boiled eggs beans on toast 2 bananas and a protein shake
go gym
pasta and tuna and a protein shake
Sandwhich with brown bread
meal whatever my mum cooks lol
then pasta and tuna again with a protein shake.

Thanks for your replys and helping me out guys.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Since I've been eating alot my strengh has gone up to. Yesterday it was my last day on 5's so it was my 5rm day. On all excercises I did 3 sets and some I did 4 sets. The weights was far to light since when I found my 5rm about 5 weeks ago. So I plan on adding 4kg or 10kg to some of the excercises. But on the pully excercises like lat pulldowns that was still difficult so I plan on keeping that the same weight.

I don't plan on doing negatives for the next two weeks this time round. I'm gonna do 1 week of my 5 rep max's then the second week I'm gonna test my new rep maxes on my 10s and 5s. Then I'm gonna have 2 weeks off from the gym but still keep up the eating.

If you still have room to increase the weights, why not keep doing so? You say the weight was far too light on your last workout of your 5s, so just keep going on through the weeks, no need to keep doing your 5rms if they are too light! Keep on increasing the weight until your body tells you to stop. You won't need to refigure your 10 and 5rms if you do that. Remember, the difference between the starting and finishing weights is a big deal.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]When you say work hard on the big compound excercises. Do you mean like correct posture etc. As most of the time during the start of the hst program I feel like I could have done more sets because the weights arent as heavy as they are later in the cycle. At the start of hst I was doing 4 sets on all excercises.

Yea, you should always use correct form, or else you are setting yourself up for an injury. If you can do more sets, go for it. Just as long as you can keep progressively increasing the weight and hitting the gym frequently. 4 sets seems pretty excessive though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I also plan on making changes in my diet for the start of my next cycle. Heres the what I plan on eating dayly.

2 boiled eggs beans on toast 2 bananas and a protein shake
go gym
pasta and tuna and a protein shake
Sandwhich with brown bread
meal whatever my mum cooks lol
then pasta and tuna again with a protein shake.

Thanks for your replys and helping me out guys.

That looks scrumptious, of course, I'm cutting, so most everything looks scrumptious! As long as that's enough food for you to gain a lb or two a week, then it's fine. If not, increase portions, it's not really rocket science ;)

Good luck.

The best thing you can do to help your gains is to start counting your calories, rather than just adding food to your diet now and then. You can't really be sure if you are getting enough unless you count.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]When you say work hard on the big compound excercises. Do you mean like correct posture etc. As most of the time during the start of the hst program I feel like I could have done more sets because the weights arent as heavy as they are later in the cycle. At the start of hst I was doing 4 sets on all excercises.

I didn't mean posture but, yeah, as abarlament said, correct form is really important, particularly as you push the weights up. (The last thing you want is an injury.) What I meant was, try to focus your energies on some of the following compound movements:-

squats
deadlifts (normal or stiff-legged)
chins/pull-downs
rowing of some kind
dips
bench press
military press

I'm sure you are doing this already. It's all in the HST FAQs.

Somewhere or other, I remember reading that it's not a good idea to start 15s with a weight below about 60% (?) of your max for that rep range. Perhaps this is happening in your case? If not, and you still find the first few sessions of 15s way too light, just push the reps up a bit to get a really good burn.

Or, you could just use the second session's weight as your starting weight or, perhaps, use smaller increments.

So, instead of using, say, 100, 110, 120, 130, 140, 150, you could use:-

110, 110, 120, 130, 140, 150

or

125, 130, 135, 140, 145, 150

or perhaps

130, 130, 140, 140, 150, 150

Four sets of 15s seems a lot to me too. Perhaps you could keep this to 1 or 2 sets of about 10-12 exercises? Not sure how many you are doing? It would save burning unnecessary calories. A lot of folks here are doing 1 or 2 sets for 15s, 2 sets for 10s, and 2 or 3 sets for 5s and negs with a high rep set thrown in for good measure during 5s and negs for extra metabolic work.

As far as counting calories and nutritional info goes, this site is really helpful:-

thecaloriecounter.com
I haven't bothered to do this too much yet but I will when I do a cutting cycle later in the year. I'm just aiming to put on around a pound a week whilst I'm bulking.

Cheers,

Lol

Cheers for the link. I'll get onto calerie counting. I'll sort out my sets aswell. I'll prob change afeiw things around like in your examples Lol.

I was just wondering when I get to 11 stone 7 lb. Will there be a noticeable differents in my build if I put on around 7 lb of lean muscle.

If you go to the supermarket and stack up 7lbs of lean beef you'll see how much muscle you will have put on. :)

If you stay lean enough then it will be much more obvious. Muscle covered in fat has much less impact visually but it's very difficult to make good gains and not add some fat (for me anyway).

lol yano I am actually gonna go to the supermarket and stack up 7lb of lean beef now that you said lol. I might spread it around under my tshirt to get a better look lmao. I'll have to remember not to walk out the supermarket while its still under my t shirt though. ; )

I don't mind putting on the fat either.

I guess what you are asking is when do people start saying to themselves when they see you in a t-shirt is "he works out".

It took me about 30 lbs before people started to notice. The taller you are the less it shows too because that's more surface area to cover. The gains are being spread out over a larger area.

True, 7 lbs of beef looks like a lot when it's in a pile but spread it out over your entire body with 60-70% going to your lower body and it's really all not that much where we want it to count (above the waist !)

Not to discourage you, but it took me about 4 years of training and 30 lbs before it became obvious. It takes dedication and persistance.

Keep this thought in your head as motivation:

The rest of the population is getting fatter and less healthy while you are getting bigger and leaner. In a few years you will be a highly sought after commodity to what women want from a man. Chicks....chicks....chicks....chicks.... it's all about the chicks!!!!!!!!

Yeah I'd like to look that I work out in a t shirt but I'd prefer if my close friends and family noticed first so to them 7 lb could make a difference I guess but yeah 30lb would for sure as that would make me about 13 stone. My goal is to be 12 stone time august so say thats another 14lb I suppose that goal is abit to much
sad.gif

Ok I will tell you what bothers me the most is when I see other youths like me that train in the gym but have no visual training routine or have any idea on how to do some excercises properly they just seem to be going to the gym and competing with each other who can lift the most weights or they do is stand around trying to look hard and talk to loud instead of training but then I see them 6 months or a year later and there massive. The people I'm on about I just can't see them eating like I have started to eat or even buy them selves protein supplements. So I wonder are steroids really that good. I have nothing against people using steroids so don't get me wrong. I'd use um if my dad let me. I suppose I just shouldn't judge people on how they act or look in the gym. Suppse the people I'm on about could eat like a horse. I dunno but non seem to mention food when I ask about there training in generaly.

Anyway thanks for the motivation quote. Its pretty good actually lol.

Hey Bren,

You can't know what the other folks do when they're not at the gym (unless you're with them!). Maybe they do eat well or take gear. What matters is that you train and eat well and keep at it. A year goes by really fast, in which time you could make loads of progress. Set goals. Keep pushing your poundages up each cycle.

Of course, ectoman is right about the distribution of any gains, but if you just look at a 7lb pile of beef it's got to be encouraging to know that your efforts have packed that on your frame in a relatively short time. Multiply it by 4 (and throw in a few more!) and you have where ectoman is at now. Awesome!

Cheers,

Lol

i hated steroids and didnt care much for those who used them(paranoid,aggressive etc)but have spent time researching on them and ive even considered them but you have to look long term,ive talked to several guys who took them they where big but that didnt last, gains you make above your natural genetic limit cant be kept in MOST cases,i guess im just trying to say that you seem to have a v/good attitude,just stick with and youll get there in the end,good luck.by the way ive been training for a few years now and the returns were begining to deminish then i found hst and have put 11 lbs of lbm in 9 months more than trebble what i put on the year before,and yes i can see the difference.

Hi guys thanks for your replys. I also know people on the gear. There competive body builders though. One has lost the gains as he don't use them anymore. I think he stopped training aswell. I like actually training in the gym. Love the feel, love the pump and I know its good for me. I'll get there. Cheers boys.

Back