the sun , does it affect training

thedon

What would be the diff between zero sun 30 min sun and 1 hour per day of sun on testosterone levels and training.
MY doctor said i need 1 hour of sun a day , but was that full body sun just the face and arms or just hang out my balls in the sun heh :)

Tuesday's NY Times had a good article for you, FOCUS ON VITAMIN D; A Need That Doesn't Change With the Seasons. It's no longer online, but you can get it at your library.

Here the first part of it: article

i'm from australia i don't the ny times.
What would the diff between no sun for a year and sun for a year be ? any effects on testosterone levels ? or ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (edziu @ Feb. 05 2003,12:17)]Tuesday's NY Times had a good article for you, FOCUS ON VITAMIN D; A Need That Doesn't Change With the Seasons. It's no longer online, but you can get it at your library.
Here the first part of it: article
We just had some news story about the latest research showing that dietary vitamin D is useless. It's not converted or something.

Anyway, back to testosterone and burnt lobster-red balls!

so theres no use for sun apart from getting a tan ?
i guess the scotts didn't get any sun in scotland anyway ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (thedon @ Feb. 05 2003,7:54)]so theres no use for sun apart from getting a tan ?
i guess the scotts didn't get any sun in scotland anyway ?
no, you need the vit D. just that the dietary form i guess isn't really absorbed properly, according to what keeb cited.

Vitamin D is reasonably absorbed, no worse than most other specific vitamins. Probably just the fact that there is few dietary sources that are normally consumed (unless they are fortified).
Hands and face exposed in sunlight for 30-60mins is fine for maintaining vit D status. Blood levels of 25 dyhydrovitamin D generally lower in winter, but this is normal as you dont get the sun. This is especially prevalent in old folks homes (most would need supplements)

I saw it on 'A Current Affair' of something so it must be true :D

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]so theres no use for sun apart from getting a tan ?

You got it backwards. Sun is better than food (at least according to Mike Munroe ;) )

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Feb. 06 2003,1:15)]Hands and face exposed in sunlight for 30-60mins is fine for maintaining vit D status.
depends on your complexion and geographical latitude though. the darker your skin is naturally and the farther you are away from the tropics, the more you need. if your complexion is darker than many east asians or some latinos, and/or you live north of the carolinas or s. cali (in the US), you might be in need of a supplement/multi during this time of year. keep in mind that the body does do some recycling of vit D once stores are low. me, i take my multi, just to be sure.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tai4ji2x @ Feb. 07 2003,9:00)]keep in mind that the body does do some recycling of vit D once stores are low. me, i take my multi, just to be sure.
True, especially if your darker and live in the likes of scotland.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]and/or you live north of the carolinas or s. cali (in the US), you might be in need of a supplement/multi during this time of year.
You would have to be very far away from s.cali/carolinas to worry about it. The majority of people in the united states that are active would have no problems, those in full time household conditions (like old folks homes) will have a real problem.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]keep in mind that the body does do some recycling of vit D once stores are low
The body 'recycles' all vitamins (although technically, once in activated form, vitamin D is actually a hormone)

Back