Max Protein Absorbtion

ceeandeye

Hi everyone:

I remember attending a seminar several years ago and the speaker said that the body could only absorb 30 grams of protein per meal. Is this correct? Are there any ways to increase absorbtion? The reason I ask is that I would like to make sure that I get my full amount of protein at each feeding. Thanks for any help.
ceeandeye.

Do you know how many grams the body can assimilate at one feeding? I am not looking for an exact number, just a range to work with.

Thanks.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ceeandeye @ June 15 2004,9:52)]Do you know how many grams the body can assimilate at one feeding? I am not looking for an exact number, just a range to work with.
Thanks.
I don't know if there has ever been a study showing the upper limits of how much a person can absorb from one meal. It is certainly more than 30 g however. I have read studies showing as much as around 70-80 g was assimilated just fine.

Taking in smaller amounts of protein throughout the day also keeps amino acid levels steady and, in my opinon, is far better for hypertrophy purposes than trying to fit in 150, 200+ g of protein in 3 meals.

Note: although I don't have any experience with this, I would think that taking in very large amounts of protein in one sitting would eventually cause bowel problems (i.e. explosive diarrhea.)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (baby a @ June 15 2004,10:35)]Note: although I don't have any experience with this, I would think that taking in very large amounts of protein in one sitting would eventually cause bowel problems (i.e. explosive diarrhea.)
I was taking around 6-8 scoops of whey protein at once. I had just read about protein pulse feeding. My stomach didn't like that for too long. I had to 'go' about 3 or 4 times an evening.

Back