Timing of workouts and meals

jsraaf

Workouts fit into my schedule best when they are after work & dinner. My concerns with this are:

1. Though waiting 1 hour after eating to workout, still have to drink a pre-workout drink - fills you up too much. My gut will explode.
2. Having to take another drink right after
3. Having to eat another meal 1-2 hours after that
4. Taking in so many carbs/calories late in the day between 7-10PM

Given this, I'm considering trying to do an early-morning thing (if I can drag my sorry butt out of the sack :confused:). This would make it much easier to time meals & avoid the "working out on a full stomach" syndrome. However, I'm wondering whether I would need at least 1 meal (not including pre-workout shake) to provide a little re-energizing after a night's fasting.

On the other hand... for evening workouts & post-workout meals, are all the late-day calories an issue on workout days? I'm concerned about adding fat lbs. due to late meals & would like to avoid if possible - or is it much ado about nothing?

So many calories, so little room...

Hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance for suggestions & opinions.

1. It would be better if instead of working out 1 hour after you eat to workout 2 hours after while still consuming a pre/post workout drink.

If you can't do that due to time I would suggest taking a pre workout shake after work 30-15 min before workout (depending on carbs) then eat dinner. If it will take you a long time to make dinner it would probably be a good idea to have a quick makeshift anabolic drink right after, my favorite is home made chocolate milk 1-3 cups milk 60 grams dextrose and some cocoa or just normal post workout drink.

3. Well if your eating a large dinner post workout you could eat another small meal a little later since it will take a while for all that food to digest.

4. There really isn't a problem with eating lots after you workout later in the day do to the nutrient partitioning effect of working out. Lately I workout around 7-8pm then have a large meal (1000 cals) right after and have had no problem. Actually I'm going to continue eating really large meals post workout since it seems to be a sure hit method.

Steve

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Reven @ Jan. 27 2003,8:29)]4. There really isn't a problem with eating lots after you workout later in the day do to the nutrient partitioning effect of working out. Lately I workout around 7-8pm then have a large meal (1000 cals) right after and have had no problem. Actually I'm going to continue eating really large meals post workout since it seems to be a sure hit method.
Steve
Even without the partioning there does not seem to be any difference with regard to fat gain. Carbs/calories late at night/ before bed don't get stored because your less active. Total calories over the day is what is important.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Even without the partioning there does not seem to be any difference with regard to fat gain. Carbs/calories late at night/ before bed don't get stored because your less active. Total calories over the day is what is important.

I guess that's different than what I've always seen/read. I've read that one of the advantages to eating 4-6 small meals per day was reducing the calorie intake at one time; too many cals over what's needed would likely get stored as fat. I guess as long as it's not overdone (on carbs & cals) it should be OK.

Thanks for the thoughts Keeb!

Everything I read here is different to what I have always read!

Good thing about this place is if I am wrong someone like Bryan, Aaron, Blade, Jules, Edziu (hint guys) will call it.

jsraaf,

When you workout at night we really don't have a choice.
I finish around 8.00pm drink my post WO shake (Driver + 50 gm carbs)
At 9.00 eat a P+C food meal then at 10.00 eat P+F cottage cheese and
peanutbutter. Do I add some fat to my midsection, yes but I would rather do
this and "grow" (you can always "cut" for a cycle)
than look the same year , after year, after .....

Would I like to lift around noon and have my P+C meals then, YES but that's life
crazy.gif

Mikeh

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jsraaf @ Jan. 30 2003,3:30)]I guess that's different than what I've always seen/read. I've read that one of the advantages to eating 4-6 small meals per day was reducing the calorie intake at one time; too many cals over what's needed would likely get stored as fat.
Doesnt matter, the most important factor is caloies

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Keebler Elf @ Jan. 29 2003,9:09)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Reven @ Jan. 27 2003,8:29)]4. There really isn't a problem with eating lots after you workout later in the day do to the nutrient partitioning effect of working out. Lately I workout around 7-8pm then have a large meal (1000 cals) right after and have had no problem. Actually I'm going to continue eating really large meals post workout since it seems to be a sure hit method.
Steve
Even without the partioning there does not seem to be any difference with regard to fat gain. Carbs/calories late at night/ before bed don't get stored because your less active. Total calories over the day is what is important.
So i could have 30% of total cals for breakfeast 2 1/2 hours later pre workout post workout 20% 1 hour later 20%
then 30% through the rest of the day ?
are you sure total cals is all you need ?
what about eating every 3 hour rule ? to do that you'd need at least 5-6 meals

How bout if i ate 100% breakfeast then pre post workout then 1 hour later and for the rest of the day ate nothing untill pre bed ??

You eat every 3 hours for a steady flow of nutrients, same reason why we eat slow digesting protein and usually fat before bed.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How bout if i ate 100% breakfeast then pre post workout then 1 hour later and for the rest of the day ate nothing untill pre bed ??
Lets just see you eat 3000+ clean cals for breakfast!!!
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]what about eating every 3 hour rule ? to do that you'd need at least 5-6 meals

HAs it ever been proven a rule? Maybe it is just another gym myth? Ever heard of the Warrior Diet (2 meals a day) some claim excellent results? I agree that eating something especially protein every 3-4 hours would be best but you can still do that regardless if you eat 50% of cals around workout and the rest through out the day.

I am also answering in relation to jsraaf's post of worrying about gaining to much fat from his plan. He is obviously eating the rest of the day too.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How bout if i ate 100% breakfeast then pre post workout then 1 hour later and for the rest of the day ate nothing untill pre bed ??

Well if you want to get nitpicky mister, then if you ate 100% for breakfast you would have nothing left for pre/post workout then an hour later and nothing before bed either
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]what about eating every 3 hour rule ? to do that you'd need at least 5-6 meals
HAs it ever been proven a rule? Maybe it is just another gym myth? Ever heard of the Warrior Diet (2 meals a day) some claim excellent results?

I have friends in the Himalays, they are mountaineers and eat only twice a day - breakfast and dinner, Still they got very good physique.

Sandeep

interesting you mention the warrior diet, keebler. i've been intrigued by it for a little while now, after having heard about it from one of mike mahler's articles on a vegetarian site. but i've never had the balls to give it a try in conjunction with a fitness regimen. i more or less was eating like that in several periods of my life, but not really combined with exercise. i did have a lot of energy during the daytime as a result and despite overeating at night, i don't think i really got any fatter. purely anecdotal though, i wasn't paying all too much attention to my physique at that time. anyway, i chanced upon mahler's website www.mikemahler.com and clicked on "Warrior Diet Interview". found myself further intrigued. (the actual link to the first section of the interview is here, btw)

the "creator" of the diet (which he didn't really invent but he claims is based on the "natural" way that ancient humans usually ate), ori hofmekler, seems to have some science and historical reference behind his claims. but other than that, i don't really know. i wonder if anyone here has done the diet. or done the research on the the alleged scientific or historical reasonings behind it.

inquiring minds want to know ;)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Reven @ Jan. 30 2003,5:14)]You eat every 3 hours for a steady flow of nutrients, same reason why we eat slow digesting protein and usually fat before bed.
Why? Can you provide evidence (research) to show a reason for this.

MM: Thus the "Warrior Diet" is not really for big bodybuilders or someone that wants to be huge?

ORI HOFMEKLER: No, however keep in mind that I have nothing against bodybuilders and that some of my close friends are bodybuilders. If that is what you want to do, then go for it. It takes determination and discipline to be a big bodybuilder and I respect that. The "Warrior Diet" shows you an alternative to gain size, but not at the expense of function.

also he eats like 70g of protein .

yeah, i don't think it's a "mass-gaining" diet at all. but that interview does go into how he thinks the usual "bulk, then cut" cycles of bodybuilders is taxing on the system, particularly internal organs, esp. combined with eating numerous times in one day.

i'm nevertheless still intrigued. i myself don't want to be heoooooge. i think that the warrior diet still might be a way to live life much more easily and still stay fit, as you don't have to worry about food all day. after i've reached my goals with building mass (or maybe just a little more, just for insurance) i would like to turn to some sort of maintenance regimen. perhaps the warrior diet would be the nutritional aspect of that?

I've never been able to gain size with these diet principles : big meal at the end of the day, little food during the day. And I've never seen somebody gaining muscle mass during the month of Ramadan (I know many muslims).

I started to gain size when I started eating every 2-3 hours and about 3000-3500cal a day (Before that I was stuck at 130lb). And HST is just about that : gaining muscle mass.

But maybe is the "warrior diet" more complicated than that (ie. big meal at the end of the day, little food during the day)... Or maybe does it work with overweight people.

Certainly not my case.

again, i don't think it's a mass-gaining diet at all. the claims of muscle gain on this diet are gradual at best, i think. i'm just saying it seems like an interesting - and perhaps convenient - option for fat loss or maintenance at the expense of maybe some minimal muscle loss. it's not just one big meal at the end of the day though. from what i've read so far, it's a series of meals starting in the evening, i think with a recommended (although not completely strict) sequence of macronutients, plus you are even encouraged to keep eating until you're pretty much stuffed.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jsraaf @ Jan. 29 2003,11:30)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Even without the partioning there does not seem to be any difference with regard to fat gain. Carbs/calories late at night/ before bed don't get stored because your less active. Total calories over the day is what is important.
I guess that's different than what I've always seen/read. I've read that one of the advantages to eating 4-6 small meals per day was reducing the calorie intake at one time; too many cals over what's needed would likely get stored as fat. I guess as long as it's not overdone (on carbs & cals) it should be OK.
Thanks for the thoughts Keeb!
My understanding of the "many meals" theory for mass gains was primarily for the purpose of keeping up the protein levels in the blood to provide for anabolism. I also find that many meals make it easier to meet my calorie/protein targets.

The "many meals" theory for fat loss is similar in effect, but different in action. It's more focused on preventing swings in blood sugar, which you're prone to when comsuming very few calories. Those swings incite cravings and are bad for psychological reasons. Also, eating many small meals can help stave off hunger, and if you're planning and executing meals all day, you hardly feel deprived. Lastly, spreading out your (few) calories and protein intake will help to prevent anabolism, which you're trying to avoid.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (edziu @ Feb. 05 2003,6:10)]I also find that many meals make it easier to meet my calorie/protein targets.
this is the main reason to eat many times per day while bulking.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It's more focused on preventing swings in blood sugar, which you're prone to when comsuming very few calories.
how does consuming few calories make you prone to blood sugar swings, surely that would depend on what you r eating.

Back