Pre- AM workout meal

someshw

Hello All,
Starting this Wednesday I am going to start working out early in the morning( 6:30 AM). Would a protein shake suffice before this workout? Or, it is adviseable to wake up early and eat a full breakfast( or a half breakfast).
What do you guys eat before working out in the morning. My last attempt at working out in the morning failed miserably as I felt weak. Any words of wisdom would be appreicated?
Thanks

Pre-workout shake should be fine to get you through the workout. A meal may require you to get up too early considering you will have to wait a while before working out. If you find that you are still hitting the wall during your workouts, try adding some simple carbs to your shake such as OJ.

Try this:

(1 Hour Before)
1 Scoop Whey
1 Cup Skim Milk
1/2 Cup Oats
20g. Raisins

This was worked great for me as of late.

if you cut, not to eat carbs in the morning when you get up could be beneficial (considering the rest of your diet)

i'd get in a shake with around 20-30g carbs and the same amount of whey protein, that usually gets you through a 1hour workout - without the carbs i dont work out half an hour before I puke...

Hey everyone - new here. Anyway, been working out in the AM for a while and Carnation Instant Breakfast with skim milk gets me through. Full of nutrients - no fat (easily digested) and tastes good. I the follow my workout with a Whey/Creatine PWO, then eat my breakfast right before I head to the office.

Does anyone have ideas/suggestions as to how to preserve a full shake that is left in the frig overnight? I leave for the gym at 5 a.m. and can't use the blender at that time. I can place a full glass at night and have about 1/2 left in the morning!

Hello all,
Thanks for the replies.
Worked out 3 days in the morning and have found this to work pretty well so far.
20 gm whey and 1/2 glass of milk pre weight workout.
Only 20 gm whey pre cardio workout.
Did not feel sick or like throwing up. Woo hoo. I do plan on adding a few more carbs on my weight days.
Thanks.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (someshw @ Dec. 13 2004,2:08)]Hello All,
Starting this Wednesday I am going to start working out early in the morning( 6:30 AM). Would a protein shake suffice before this workout? Or, it is adviseable to wake up early and eat a full breakfast( or a half breakfast).
What do you guys eat before working out in the morning. My last attempt at working out in the morning failed miserably as I felt weak. Any words of wisdom would be appreicated?
Thanks
Waking up and working out first thing in the morning is one of the best things you can do! It enables you to focuse your attention on eating nutrient dense foods for the remainder of the day, which in turn helps the recovery process. I wake up and hit the coffee first thing so I'm more awake and focused on what I'm about to do for the next hour in the gym. Half a meal replacement with a banana has always served me well, and be sure to drink a #### load of water to hydrate up before your workout. Stay away from milk before you workout!!!

Back