I want to eat 14 egg whites a day.  What are the

Ruhl

I want to eat 14 egg whites a day. What are the chances of me developing an allergy? I am currently allergic to gluten, mites and grass seeds. I suppose this makes me more likely to develop future allergies.

Why in earth do you want to eat 14 egg whites per day
dozingoff.gif

If it's protein you're after, it'll probably be cheaper to buy a good protein powder - unless you are a baker or something like that, of course.

Regards,
/R

Why don't you just eat the whole darn chicken?
Did you know that an egg is a pain in the a ss for a chicken?
laugh.gif

Have you ever taken a flu shot and got ill?
If so! You are most likely allergic to eggs.
See Ya
Sonny

As an adult you will not develop an allergy to eggs by eating egg whites. Allergies develop when the digestive tract isn't fully developed and whole proteins (or large peptides) are allowed to pass into the blood stream triggering an allergic reaction. As an adult you don't have to worry about that.

Wait back up dude! You didnt specify if you plan to eat these egg whites raw or cooked. Be careful if you eat them raw. There is a protein called avidin that has a high affinity for biotin. It will bind to biotin and the biotin it binds to will no longer be bioavailable. Researchers theorized that all of the biotin in egg whites would be enough to bind with the avidin, but they found avidin to biotin ratio in egg whites was off (much more avidin then biotin). This means that avidin will bind with your stores of biotin.

Cooking denatures avidin and then it won't pose any problem, and you'll still get the protein.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fearofthedark @ Sep. 14 2005,12:31)]Wait back up dude! You didnt specify if you plan to eat these egg whites raw or cooked. Be careful if you eat them raw. There is a protein called avidin that has a high affinity for biotin. It will bind to biotin and the biotin it binds to will no longer be bioavailable. Researchers theorized that all of the biotin in egg whites would be enough to bind with the avidin, but they found avidin to biotin ratio in egg whites was off (much more avidin then biotin). This means that avidin will bind with your stores of biotin.
Cooking denatures avidin and then it won't pose any problem, and you'll still get the protein.

Fearofthedark...PLEASE
dozingoff.gif

Okey so what will happen if avidin-biotin complexes form?

wow.gif
3-->
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rain @ Sep. 13 2005,11
wow.gif
3)]If it's protein you're after, it'll probably be cheaper to buy a good protein powder - unless you are a baker or something like that, of course.
Regards,
/R
cheaper? Not sure where you're at but in the midwest USA we get 16 eggs for $1, so about 100 grams of protein for $1.
Eggs are the cheapest source of protein I know of, with tuna being a close second at 45 cents a can ~30 grams or protein.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]As an adult you will not develop an allergy to eggs by eating egg whites. Allergies develop when the digestive tract isn't fully developed and whole proteins (or large peptides) are allowed to pass into the blood stream triggering an allergic reaction. As an adult you don't have to worry about that.
I question this; based upon personal experience. I developed 'oral allergy syndrome' at age 25 (in my case a cross-reaction due to birch pollen allergy), which meant I suddenly couldn't eat raw apples, peaches, hazelnuts, and several other raw fruits and nuts. I had been eating those things my entire life with no problems.
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/corpaffr/foodfacts/orale.shtml
--J

[b said:
Quote[/b] (hst_james @ Sep. 26 2005,1:54)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rain @ Sep. 13 2005,11<!--emo&amp;
wow.gif
)]If it's protein you're after, it'll probably be cheaper to buy a good protein powder - unless you are a baker or something like that, of course.
Regards,
/R
cheaper?  Not sure where you're at but in the midwest USA we get 16 eggs for $1, so about 100 grams of protein for $1.
Eggs are the cheapest source of protein I know of, with tuna being a close second at 45 cents a can ~30 grams or protein.
Wow, a buck for 16 eggs is cheap, but I don't think 16 egg whites is quite 100 grams. It's a little under 60. I just bought a ten pound tub of whey protein powder which I hear is superior to egg protein, for about 44 bucks. That's about 87 grams per buck. So for about the same money, you get more and higher quality protein for your dollar. Doesn't make a very good omelette tho.
http://www.annecollins.com/protein_diet/protein-eggs.htm

I pay $0.40 (including shipping) for a scoop of whey protein powder that tastes awesome. Whey also has immune boosting properties, speeds recovery, and is 100% bioavailable. Plus, you throw it in some water or milk, and you're done. No preperation, no seperating whites from yolks like with eggs. I get 23 grams of protein powder this way.

Eggs cost me a bout $0.09 a piece, and have 6 grams of protein. Four eggs is equal to a scoop of powder, more of less. That's 6 x 4 = 24 grams of protein. That's with yolk. Take that out and you get more of a bang for your buck, plus conveinence, for whey protein.

Bryan, are you absolutely sure on what you said about adults not being able to develop an egg allergy? Can anyone else confirm this?

You haven't calculated the thing through..

The cost between a good protein powder and eggs is minimal per $, as people who responded have written here.

I've nowhere seen anyone recommend eating alot of egg-white for its' protein..

Rather take a couple of hours in researching protein/$ for eggs, and for available protein powders in your region (or online, delivered to you), and see whether it isn't comparable, and if it is, pick the protein powder.

So if cost is the only reason you want to go with the eggs, maybe you can find an even cheaper and better resource of protein.

S.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ruhl @ Oct. 25 2005,1:53)]Bryan, are you absolutely sure on what you said about adults not being able to develop an egg allergy? Can anyone else confirm this?
Yes, I'm sure. :)

Back