should I listen to the numbers or to my body?

AdamCJX

I'm around 6 feet and 200lbs right now. I believe 15% BF, maybe a bit more. According to the HST calories calculator, my maintenance calories are around 3240. So, I'm eating around this everyday (I say around, because some days I eat a bit more). I'm eating 240g of protein in those 3240 cal. The problem is that my body keeps craving for more. I have the meals divided in 6 meals through the day. But after 90-120 minutes I eat, my stomach starts to burn and ask for more food. I feel my muscles flatten out (specially my chest). Then if I eat a couple of apples or bananas, I can feel my muscles reacting and getting fuller. But then 90-120 min. later the same happens. I mean, if I just keep eating, I will get fat. But when I start to feel my muscles getting softer after my stomach asks for food, I eat, becuase I'm afraid I'm losing muscle already. Am I right?
When does muscle breakdown and catabolism happen/starts? Should I stick with my 3240-3500 cals or should I listen to my body?
By the way, I'm trying to lose some fat now while keeping as much muscle as possible. That's why I'm eating only my maintenance calories. But I'm not doing any cardio yet. Will start next week, but I'm guessing if I do cardio, my body will go crazy for food. I do have a very physcal job and work on my feet all day, but that's already taken in consideration in the HST calories calculator since I picked the highest activity rate (1.5).
Please, any advices are greatly welcome and needed.
A sample of my food intake yesterday:

5 eggs (3 yellow)
3 bacon stripes
3 thin slices of wheat bread
2 slices of american cheese
1 banana

1 Whey protein replacement shake (400 cal)
2 apples

250g of grilled chicken breast
1 big baked potato
green salad

1 smoked ham sub on wheat bread
1 cheese sub on white bread
1 apple

1Whey protein replacement shake (400 cal)
2 apple

250g Turkey breast
small portion of rice
green salad

thanks

calculators are a rough estimate of calorie needs. adjust your intake based on how your weight is changing so you lose a pound or two a aweek.

Back