Cant Lose Weight

sard

Because of work, I was unable to work out during December and January.

Now I feel really out of shape...most of my pants can barely fit. So I must have gained a few inches around my waist.

Now I started another cycle of HST.

I have horrible nurtition habits, I usually eat 3-4 meals of crappy food.
Now since I am "cutting" I am eating 2-3 meals of crappy food...I KNOW I am getting less calories than I usually do.

And I am doing the same HST program, and doing a little bit of cardio before I lift. (10 minutes)

But I am not losing any weight...in fact, I think my stomach has gotten even bigger!

What I am doing wrong?
I know I am eating crappy food, but I was eating crappy food (and more of it) before and I wasnt gaining weight.
But now that I am eating less, I am gaining more size around my stomach.

How should I go about this?

Thanks

Don't eat crappy food.

To take it up a notch to the most important thing you can do, count calories.

Lance said it! It`s more to do with intaken calories rather than just the amount of food you eat.

If you`re planning to do HST that`s good but you have to remember that lifting weights is only half of all efforts when you`re planning to shape up.

Ive been trying to do HST for a few years now.

I know that nutrition is very important.

But what is confusing me now is.

I am eating less food (and therefore less calories) but I am not losing weight.

In other words:
Previously:
3-4 crappy meals a day, and HST workout. My bodyweight stayed around 165lbs, and 31inch waist.

Now/Cutting:
2-3 crappy meals a day (less meals/calories) and HST workout.
But my weight has not gone down, and my waist has not gone down (from a 33) in fact my stomach seems bigger.

The food I eat is consistant, everyday its the same food, but now I am skipping one of the meals. But the other meals are the same as I have always eaten.

So I am confused here.

If you are eating the same thing everyday, then you can count your calories.

Just count them for one day and you'll know what you're getting each day. Honestly, that's what it's going to come down to.

And on a side note, why do you have to eat crappy food?

You answered your own question;

"I'm eating crappy food and not losing weight. Please help."

Can't help you unless we know what 'crappy food' is, but chances are . . . it's crappy.

Go back to the HST FAQ and re-read the Diet and Nutrition section again very carefully.

Then get your butt over to FitDay and start tracking everything you eat. (If your goal is to lose fat, then tell fit day that your Lifestyle is 'bed-bound,' otherwise it tends to over-estimate your daily burn). Keep you calories low, eat enough protein, and get in some cardio.

Crappy food = Fast food.

BUT the thing is this, Ive been eating crappy food for the last 15 years.
Its not like I ate well, and then switched to fast food and cant lose weight.

Ive been doing HST for awhile now.
My weight stabilized around 165lbs, and my waist at 31inches.

I did not workout for Dec and Jan. and my weight went up to 175, and my waist is around 33 now.

So I started HST again, but this time, I took out one of my meals.

So, why am I not losing weight?

Its not just a matter of the food, since my weight and waist stabilized with the same diet (and more of it) back before Dec.

In a nutshell...I am eating LESS food/calories (2-3 meals vs 3-4 meals) and doing SLIGHTLY more exercise, (same HST workout, but now 5-8 minutes on treadmill before lifting) and I am not losing weight.

In fact, since I started up again (3 weeks ago), I think my waist has gotten slightly bigger.

Its weird.

alright clearly you aren't listening to anyone. First of all, 5-8 minutes on the treadmill isn't cardio. Secondly, "2-3 crappy meals" isn't considered counting calories.

How bout you count your calories, or better yet, even eat GOOD food? Put a little effort into this or you won't see results.

Less food or not, you are obviously eating more CALORIES than your maintenance level.

It's this simple. Maintenance calories = how many calories you eat to mantain your current weight.

You need to eat less than that to lose weight, more than that to gain weight.

Lance and Bosox already said it sard.

Your nutritional habits aren't doing you any good for your goals. In order to loose weight find out the amount of calories that you can consume to maintain a your current weight. You will have to eat below that in order to loose weight. You don't have to go overboard, but you will have to put in more effort to get noticeable results. If you want something your going to have to put in the effort to get it. It's worth it for me and rewarding. Read the nutrition article on this site and you'll get it.

"alright clearly you aren't listening to anyone.  First of all, 5-8 minutes on the treadmill isn't cardio.  "

What kind of cardio should I do?  Long and slow, or fast and short? Doing it on an empty stomach, is that still considered the right way to do it?

"Secondly, "2-3 crappy meals" isn't considered counting calories."

Look, I can say "clearly you aren't listening to me" here.

I used to eat 3 meals a day at Burger King, now I eat 2 meals a day there.

Why does the exact number of calories matter? (I know losing weight is burning more than you take in...BUT)

I am eating less than I used to eat. (I am not adding more per meal)

When I ate 3 meals a day, I did the EXACT same workout, and my weight stayed the constant.

Now I eat 2 meals a day, and do the EXACT same workout (plus a tiny bit more, with the little cardio, which is more than I used to do), but my weight has not gone down.

Thats what has me confused.

I can tell you the amount of calories (I put it on a spreadsheet) I eat per day then vs. now.

Previously approx. 2500 calories a day, now its about 1900.

Sometimes these days, I go even below 1900, more like 1200.

Could that be part of the reason, I cut too many calories, so now my body is in starvation mode?

I know you guys are trying to help, I understand the whole burn more calories than you take in...and I think I am doing that (considering I eat less and do the same workout). But like I said, the confusing part is:

"When I ate 3 meals a day, I did the EXACT same workout, and my weight stayed the constant.
Now I eat 2 meals a day, and do the EXACT same workout , but my weight has not gone down."

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sard @ Feb. 15 2005,7:47)]I used to eat 3 meals a day at Burger King, now I eat 2 meals a day there.

Previously approx. 2500 calories a day, now its about 1900.
Sometimes these days, I go even below 1900, more like 1200.
3 meals in a Burger King with 2500 kcals
crazy.gif
You are WAY wrong!

Just the burger consist about 600kcal. That times 3 is already 1800kcal. Then you add fries and other stuff...i`ll figure you get easily over 3500kcals per day. Excluding everything that you eat outside Burger King.

You get more calories than 1200 from one burger meal.

you are not in starvation mode. You eat too much

We are just trying to help you
thumbs-up.gif

From their website (and my notes):
Large Fries = 500 calories
Angus Steak = 570 calories

But anyway, we are focusing on the wrong issue.

Why is it that when I ate 3 meals my weight stayed constant, but now I am eating 2 meals, my weight will not go down?

I ate the SAME items, but now I am eating less meals.

Thats is what has me confused. I KNOW I am eating less calories now.

Even if I was eating over 3500 calories a day, I did gain any weight (which was frustrating), but now I am eating less than that (2 meals) I am not losing weight.

From Eating for Size article
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]In other words, good fats can actually prevent fat gain, whereas saturated and hydrogenated fats encourage fat storage even on fewer calories.

Sard, it's a simple mathematical equation: calories_in-calories_out=calories.

In other words, if you think you're eating less (and BTW< eating 2 meals/day when you used to eat 3/day doesn't necesarrily translate to eating "less"), then something is wrong with the "calories_out" part of the equation. You clearly aren't expending enough calories, but to underscore what the others have said:
STOP EATING JUNK!!!!!!

My God, man, even ONE meal per WEEK at BK (or any other such evil emporium) is way, way, WAY too much. In addition to the calories, you might look at the sodium content of that stuff- that can cause water retention, and therefore weight gain.

Learn good eating habits. Balance your diet. Focus on good protein, good fats, good carbs, none of which you're going to find at a fast food joint. Even the salads at Mickey D's have way too much fat. Not that fat is a bad thing, you just have to eat the right kind, which you aren't.

OK, on a cooler note- get yourself an account at fitday.com and track your cals and activity for a couple of weeks. Make sure you enter *everything*. I'd bet you'll see what the problem is.

One last thing- your caloric requirements go down as you get older, so this could be contributing to the problem- that, and the fact that it's winter in the Northern hemisphere make us all get fatter around this time of year unless we're vigilant.

I hope you take all this in the helpful vein in which it's offered- no one here intends to insult you- we want to help, but you need to take the first step- log your food and let us know where you stand. In the meantime, best of luck!

"and BTW< eating 2 meals/day when you used to eat 3/day doesn't necesarrily translate to eating "less" "

I always order the samething when I eat.
For instance, Burger King, Angus Steak meal.
So I went from (for example) 3 angus steak meals to 2.
I did not add more to the 2 meals, thats why I know I am eating less calories.

"One last thing- your caloric requirements go down as you get older, so this could be contributing to the problem- that, and the fact that it's winter in the Northern hemisphere make us all get fatter around this time of year unless we're vigilant."

Could that make that much difference?
I was thinking about this.

Ive always worked out consistantly, but I took off Dec/Jan.
So maybe, my metabolism needs time to "get started" again?

Since previously, I was working out all the time, my metabolism was always on, and now it has not "warmed up" yet, so its not burning as well?  

Ive only been working out for about 2 weeks now. (since my 2 month break)

Also, I just turned 30, that could make a difference also..?

Actually, now that I am thinking about it more...I do the EXACT same workout...but I am not working at the moment, so I am not commuting (bus and train), etc....all I am doing is watching tv, surfing the net...so that is probably playing a big part.
SHOOT...this would be the perfect time to bulk...instead Im trying to cut...bad timing.

"and the fact that it's winter in the Northern hemisphere make us all get fatter around this time of year unless we're vigilant.""

Why is that the case?  (I am in NY)

Anyway, lets all get off this topic...but just 1 last thing:

Cardio: Short and fast (sprints) or long and slow (light jog for 20 minutes)?

If I do 5 sprints (100 meters), thats only about 5 minutes (counting rest), is that enough?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sard @ Feb. 15 2005,11:17)]Also, I just turned 30, that could make a difference also..?
Bingo you got your answer! Welcome to the over 30 club.

BTW you're going to really hate 35, 40 .....

It's time to start ordering chicken salads, Carls Jr. has the best IMO :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]but I am not working at the moment, so I am not commuting (bus and train), etc....all I am doing is watching tv, surfing the net...so that is probably playing a big part.

Ding ding ding! That is happening to me right now. I used to cut at 2500 calories, 2000 if i wanted faster results. Right now i'm not working, i'm cutting up a bit at 2500 calories. Last week went well, i lost fat. This week nothing's really changing anymore. Like you, all day i sit around on the computer for the most part. I was going to drop to 2000 next week, but i finally found a job. I start next week, Mon-Fri 7am-3:30pm. It's warehouse work, i'll be doing a ton of walking around and keeping busy. Thus, i'm keeping it at 2500 and i know i'll be cutting better again next week.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My weight stabilized around 165lbs, and my waist at 31inches.
I did not workout for Dec and Jan. and my weight went up to 175, and my waist is around 33 now.
165 & 31 in waist = ~ 9% bf, 175 & 33 in waist = ~ 12 % bf
These are only guestimates of course, but any time you are looking to get into single digit bf%, you gotta kick your fat loss into over-drive. If you are already that lean, your body is going to fight back Big Time. You'll need to be eating 1500 - 1600 calories a day *consistantly* while consuming at least 160 grams of protein. You'll never do that at Burger King.
Plus you'll need at least 20 min of HIIT Cardio 5 - 6 days a week. Getting to 15- 17% bf is pretty simple, but if you're trying to get 'ripped' you gotta do stufff that's quite un-natural. Learn to live on cans on tuna and broccoli.
Another note. @ 165 - 175 pounds, you might lack the muscle mass to get really lean. Your body will start shedding muscle as your bf drops, so you'll need to start cycling your mass gain and fat loss.
Good Luck.

Back