Cutting During SD.

OneMoreRep

during a SD, is it a bad idea to be cutting :confused:

will the decrease in carbs and training cause more unwanted muscle atrophy? i really want to get cut before i bulk again...

I've tried cutting on several SDs, and in my personal experience I recommend the SD to stay as a SD. In other words, don't do anything, don't go below maintenance calories.

I violated both principles on one sd/cutting cycle and lost considerable weight - apparently muscle. Yet another cutting cycle I pulled my calories up to maintenance for the week long SD and stopped the cardio. My cutting resumed after SD and I had MUCH better results than before!

I agree, I never go below maintenance calories or even do much in the way of cardio unless I'm training. For instance, I'm a professional drummer and when I play 4-5 hours a night that alone is enough to have me losing weight. So, instead of risking weight/muscle loss I make sure to raise my calories and do some lifting -- even if I have started SD. Sometimes it gets complicated, but its better than watching something I've worked so hard for go down the drain. ;)

Techo brings up a great point. Something that seems to work very well is using HST for cutting and then SD for getting your metabolism back to somewhat normal so that when you begin to eat hypocalorically again during the next cycle, your results are enhanced.

Back