getting protein source...

S_F_H

My lunch is often made by a sandwich (since its pre-workout) 2 whole wheat bread slices and deli-meat of ham... but boy that ham came expensive... and i already eat chicken breast at supper/dinner, and it is expensive as well! so as lunch (pre-workout) i wondered if there would be any suggestions from any of you! :) i havent tried whole wheat pastas.. do they contain enough protein in it?? also about the pastas, behind the package, it ALWAYS gives the nutritional facts for DRY pastas... when cooking them, i know their value will change (just like the rice do!) and im wondering how big will it change? is it half of the carbs?

thanks!

Where do you live at where chicken is expensive?
I can buy a bag full of skinless chicken breast for fewer than 10 bucks?
And large beef roast for around $6.
Start reading the nutrient value on the can or packages to determine the levels.
Tuna isn’t very costly. Instead of tuna salad I use white meat chicken at times just for a change, you can get in a can just like tuna. Make enough to last a day or two.
How about eggs!
Milk!
Cottage cheese! It is loaded with protein.
yogurt as well !
In my option, pasta is there just to help get the sauce and meat to your mouth.
Thanks
Sonny

hehehe... I live in Canada.. and the last time I bought chicken breats, it cost me 15$ for 2 complete breats (4 halves)... im 19 yo and kind of new to this diet world :p so im not really in looking to the ads and savings on chicken.. i'll have to look for those bags of chicken breasts then!! i just cant eat tuna...

and with pastas, would u have any suggs about sauce i could use that would do the job? (since eating pasta plain kind of sux) basicly i just wanted to change my lunch meal cuz im eating a sandwich with deli-cut ham and im eating like 1 pound of it in 4 days (means in 4 sandwiches!) which makes like 10,50$/pound of deli-cut ham

college life! :p thx for replying man

pasta is there just to help get the sauce and meat to your mouth.

Heh! Have to agree with Sonny on that...pasta is not where you should turn for protein. Having said that, $15 is outrageously expensive for two chicken breasts, so I can see why you're looking to economise.

If you make a regular practice of reading the grocery store circulars that come in the mail and comparison shop at a variety of places, you'll get a handle on what a good deal looks like. Where I live, boneless skinless chicken breast goes on sale regularly for about $1.99 a pound, and recently I got some for a mere $1.78 per pound. When that happens, I buy several packages and stock the freezer.

Sometimes 85% lean ground beef goes on sale for about $2.19 a pound or a little less. And I pay about fifty cents per can for chunk light tuna, though occasionally it can be had for thirty-three cents. When it's that cheap I'll grab a whole bunch of the stuff--forty or fifty cans.

Of course, various foods cost more or less according to location, so these numbers may not hold for where you live (I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area). Still, if you shop this way you'll never be without a regular source of quality lean protein, and it will cost a fraction of what others pay.

Back