Calorie Deficit and Protein

Mindwraith

I'm trying to figure out how I can still get the 199-202g of protein I need in only 2300 calories. Is it possible? I'm going to assume eating mostly meat is probably my best bet but is there anything else with lower calories and high protein?

Remember - 1g of protein (or carb) equals 4 calories, doesn't matter where it comes from. 1g fat equals 9 calories.

That's a lot of lean meat - 30+ ounces a day.

For 200g protein, that's 800 calories or about 35% of your 2300 total intake.

Heh decided to answer my own question:

30 oz of lean beef provided it's very lean would be roughly 1800 calories and 250g of protein. Definately too much meat lol.

However, 30 oz of Turkey would be 1754 calories and 237g of protein

while 30 oz of Chicken would be a whopping 2015 cals but only 230g protein.

Ham was 1787 cals and 249g protein

30 oz of boiled eggs is only 419 cals and 34g

30 oz of salmon 1182 cals 199g

The best of these was Tuna, which is one of the answers to my question. While I like tuna, it would probably disgust me the most to eat 30 oz of the stuff.. however it's only 986 calories yet 216g of protein.

That does it for any egg/meats/poultry/fish I'm willing to eat, all of that was boneless and cooked. I'll research other foods later, if someone has any other foods with few calories and high protein post it here.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Mar. 09 2003,11:50)]This is where protein powder does come in handy.
Well, problem is protein powder doesn't contain a good amount of tryptophan and methenoin aminos which are in meat and oat bran. So drinking more shakes isn't going to be the best way to get all 200g since I already drink 2 2 scoops shakes a day 40g ea. Thats almost half my protein coming from whey. I dunno tho maybe I'm wrong.

Sorry if my math was off when I mentioned the 30oz. of meat - hey, it was late...
blush.gif

Using the protein powder shake is good to reduce the sheer bulk of the food you have to eat; not always as full, and is digested more quickly so you can eat again more easily 2-3 hours later.

Edit: According to Fitday.com:

30 oz of chicken = 1374 cals, 258g protein
30 oz turkey (deli style) = 936 cals, 191g protein
30 oz extra lean ground beef = 2132 cals, 212g protein (136g fat)
30oz tuna = 1088 cals, 201g protein

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mindwraith @ Mar. 11 2003,2:52)]Well, problem is protein powder doesn't contain a good amount of tryptophan and methenoin aminos which are in meat and oat bran. So drinking more shakes isn't going to be the best way to get all 200g since I already drink 2 2 scoops shakes a day 40g ea. Thats almost half my protein coming from whey. I dunno tho maybe I'm wrong.
Who cares if it doesnt contain large amounts of trytophan or methionine?
Take is some beef/chicken/fish/turkey etc, some protein powder some cottage cheese some oat bran etc and you will have everything you need.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aaron_F @ Mar. 11 2003,1:29)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mindwraith @ Mar. 11 2003,2:52)]Well, problem is protein powder doesn't contain a good amount of tryptophan and methenoin aminos which are in meat and oat bran. So drinking more shakes isn't going to be the best way to get all 200g since I already drink 2 2 scoops shakes a day 40g ea. Thats almost half my protein coming from whey. I dunno tho maybe I'm wrong.
Who cares if it doesnt contain large amounts of trytophan or methionine?
Take is some beef/chicken/fish/turkey etc, some protein powder some cottage cheese some oat bran etc and you will have everything you need.
Good point, I kinda thought I was being anal about it. I pulled off 2300 cals yesterday and got 205g, that fitday.com helped me a ton.

No way can I live on protein powder alone. When i knew I was going to get into a show or was going to be on the beach in a few weeks, I could do it, but I have to have regular food!!

Back