is milk bad for you?

sean

I just read some articles on milk being bad for you. Are those articles crap or are they actually telling the truth?

Thanks for any info

Sean

for crissakes i hope not, i drink about 6 glasses of skim a day, gettin a decent diet going at college is SO fookin hard...

Read this and then you decide.

http://www.hps-online.com/troph9.htm

Ask anyone that teaches anatomy & physiology and they will tell you that humans stop producing lactase by about the age of 30.

Further insights:
http://www.nomilk.com/
http://www.notmilk.com/52reasons.txt

And if you are wondering on how to get your calcium, where do cows get theirs from? Answer: anything green (especially leafy vegetables).

Also, excessive calcium leeches magnesium from the body. I think Magnesium is what gives bones elasticity (not entirely sure).

I still don't buy it !! :) sorry, but I'm not gonna stop drinking milk.

If you aren't lactose intolerant and don't have any gas/digestion problems from it, then go for it... the first article seems to wander around treating milk as if it should not be consumed simply because there are better sources of calcium.... who cares, it is a cheap/fast source of slow release protein (think great for anti-catabolic meals/times) and has roughly 13 grams of carbs per serving, which despite their "simple/sugar" label, they are actually more like complex carbs ("slow" so to speak).

I do however, agree with those articles' negative view on modern food processing.... We eat so much crap even when we are eating as properly as possible using modern foods.... I'm a big fan of local health food stores and buying fruits/veggies at farmers markets.

Magnesium and Calcium utilize the same pathways/carriers, thats why its always good to consider supplementing with a little extra magnesium at a time apart from any calcium intake... before bed is a great time, as it also aids in sleep/recovery. Although, recently, I've been hearing/reading that the problems with Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc absorbtion (in presence of each other) are not as substantial or "real" as many presumed.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Read this and then you decide.

so you are going to take the advice of a "medicine man" who sells colon cleansings online?

i don't know if he would really be an objective source for the health benefits of milk.

if you aren't lactose intolerant and enjoy drinking milk, then drink it! its a cheap, easy source of slow-release protein and calcium. its a great post-workout drinkout drink if you don't have time to make a shake. my wife and i go through almost 4 gallons a week.

IF you are not lactose intolerant (and most people HAVENT lost the ability to secrete this enzyme) and in some cases if you are, there is absolutely NOTHING WRONG with milk.

but then again, Hitler drank milk, and so did bin Laden, so there might me a connection.......

Not a big fan of milk, but I'm a little lactose intolerant. I've read that pastuerization makes milk harder to digest because it kills the acidophilus bacteria. I do take in cottage cheese and whey, but I make sure to take in an enzyme pill with them.

cheers,
Jules

[b said:
Quote[/b] (GiO @ Nov. 05 2002,8:39)]Read this and then you decide.
Ask anyone that teaches anatomy & physiology and they will tell you that humans stop producing lactase by about the age of 30.
Further insights:
http://www.nomilk.com/
http://www.notmilk.com/52reasons.txt
And if you are wondering on how to get your calcium, where do cows get theirs from? Answer: anything green (especially leafy vegetables).
Also, excessive calcium leeches magnesium from the body. I think Magnesium is what gives bones elasticity (not entirely sure).
some of the information i read in that first link was offensively stupid and quackish.

no offense.

Regardless of how information is written, I can only go on experience.

My first daughter at around the age of 2 (she is 9 now), developed a persistent cough, that no-one could clear her of it. After 6 months or so, I read some things about how bad milk is and took her off milk (put her on soy milk - another mistake I came to realize), and within days her cough disappeared. Now she has milk rarely/occasionally.

One of my twin daughters at around the age of 5 (she is 7 now), developed an ear infection that was causing hearing loss. She was having milk daily. I read that milk is mostly responsible for ear infections in children, so I took her off it immediately, and her ear infection cleared up (without medication - as I avoid pharmaceutical drugs within my family).

My kids do have milk occasionally, but I stop them if they start coming down with something.

Milk gives me the runs, always has.

Understand that ignorance is inherited, arrogance is a choice.
Most people read what they see 2 dimentionally. When they read and see it 3 dimentionally, then they are no longer ignorant.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (GiO @ Nov. 09 2002,3:21)]Understand that ignorance is inherited, arrogance is a choice.
Most people read what they see 2 dimentionally. When they read and see it 3 dimentionally, then they are no longer ignorant.
Wise words.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (GiO @ Nov. 10 2002,12:21)]Regardless of how information is written, I can only go on experience.
Notice he did not say that it was poorly written, what he did say was that it was offensive and quackish.

The site http://www.hps-online.com/troph9.htm is a food combination site, which is 'nutritional quackery' at its best.

"curdles immediately upon entering the stomach, so if there is other food present the curds coagulate around other food particles and insulate them from exposure to gastric juices, delaying digestion long enough to permit the onset of putrefaction" This is one of the many laughable parts of the text. Casein curdles upon exposure to the lower pH in the stomach, this is why it takes longer to digest. It doesnt trap particles of food in it, because unless you are an infant with an immature digestive system, you break down all casien micelles during digestion.

"while calcium deficiency has become so rampant that over 90 percent of all American children suffer chronic tooth decay." I love this, american children would suffer tooth decay (possibly not at this high a prevalence, but who knows) because they eat and drink rubbish. How many litres of coke would they drink a week?

"That such denatured milk does not deliver sufficient calcium to prevent this condition is abundantly evident from the fact that American women, who consume great quantities of pasteurized milk products, suffer the world's highest incidence of osteoporosis" Strange that time and time again, in all DEXA examinations around the world, groups that take in calcium (via dairy) compared to those who dont, have higher bone densities. American women have a high incidence of osteoporosis, becuase as a whole they have a poor diet, they do little physical activity amongst other things.

I wont even bother with nomilk and notmilk.

And its true, the Lactose tolerant are those who are different. ie a report in the journal Nature last year or so showed that (thousands) years ago most people where lactose intolerant into adulthood. European polymorphisms took over in white, which is why asians and africans are more lactose intolerant and europeans generally are not. But, if there was polymorphisms in the blacks they would be drinking milk all the time (see Maasai in Western Africa).

If milk gives you the runs it means that you are probably lactose intolerant, which is possibly passed onto your children. They 'possibly' also have allergen problems with milk, which could 'possibly' be manifested in the complaints you have said.
Does this mean everyone should avoid milk, no. If they have allergies they can be tested, and if they have lactose intolerance they can be tested for that as well.
I know these sites may like to paint (pasturized) milk as the cause of every disease known to man, but it aint (we all know that aspartame is ;) )

Colonic cleansing and fasting fascinates me. I've read, though, that muculoid substance really is perfectly normal. It's what comes out when there's no "poop" in poop. Maybe it's an extreme version of a "ketogenic diet"?!?

cheers,
Jules

I tried a dairy free diet for about a month to 'cure' my asthma/allergies/persistant clearing of throat etc. and it did'nt do jack.

BTW, did anyone click on the colon cleansing/eliminations tab at hps-onliine, man those guys are retarded!

I'm not lactose intolerant, I can drink as much as I like and I get no symptoms with my digestive system. However after visiting my sister in Thailand for an extended trip (a couple of months backpacking) I noticed that my sinuses dried out (I nearly always seemed to have a runny nose, especially 1st thing in the mornings, ever since I could remember). It was great. At first I put it down to all that fresh air out in the countryside. After being home for about 1mth my sinuses were back to normal .... overactive. The a couple of years later the exact same thing occurred.

My sister discovered she'd become lactose intolerant due to not having consumed milk for so long! (About the only places you can get milk in Thailand, Vietnam etc is at 7Elevens in the cities). It was then that it dawned on me it was the milk!

I can't live without some milk in my shakes so I switched to Goats milk (it's A2 type protein), it improved my sinuses. However I discovered that it was not cows milk per se that was the problem, it was milk from the cows currently used to produce our milk e.g. Jersey & Frisian-Holstein as they produced A1 milk (% of cows with this trait varies by breed), this A1 type of protein has been linked to diabetes, heart disease, autism and even schizophrenia (though others argue not). When I was in Australia I tried A2 milk (only has the A2 type of protein and none of the A1 type), again my sinuses cleared up. (I just read it's available in some parts of the US now as well as Aus/NZ)

I now believe I'm sensitive to this A1 protein and try to avoid it as my body must work better without it! (Unfortunately I can't claim it's increased my muscle growth by 100% or anything like that!! ha ha! But if it stops prostate cancer I'll be happy)

<div>
(GiO @ Nov. 05 2002,8:39)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Ask anyone that teaches anatomy &amp; physiology and they will tell you that humans stop producing lactase by about the age of 30.</div>
Unless you´re of scandinavian descent. From what I've heard, we have a genetic mutation up here.

i dont know much about lactose intolerence so i dont have anything to add on that front but almost 6 years might be an HST record for &quot;old thread&quot; resurrection.

Yeah, 6 years must be a record. I have gone out of my way to resurrect old threads, but I never brought one forward from 02!
biggrin.gif

Good thread though. I'll add my 2$ and say that when I was kid I was taken off dairy products and grains for a whole year because my dear ma got into homeopathy. It was meant to help my asthma and hay fever but it did nothing of the sort. That was a miserable year.

I love dairy. Living in the Southwest of England means that I have a ready supply of some of the most delicious milk on the planet. Anyone who has had a cream tea in Devon or Cornwall will know what I mean (pot of tea, scones, jam and clotted cream). Over the last two years I have generally consumed at least four pints of full-fat milk a day, often six. No side effects except for lots of extra strength and a larger belly! Now I am cutting I have reduced my milk consumption down to around one or two pints a day, depending on training. Haven't switched to skim milk yet as I hate it. In fact, I'd rather not have milk at all than drink that stuff.

<div>
(Lol @ Jul. 07 2008,12:49)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">Haven't switched to skim milk yet as I hate it. In fact, I'd rather not have milk at all than drink that stuff.</div>
We have tastes sensors for sweet, sour, bitter, and salt. There are no particular sensors for fat. Thus fat is an acquired taste. It takes about three weeks to re-program your tongue.

The switch from butter to olive oil, or the switch from full-cream, whole milk to skim may be difficult, but it's not all that bad. After three weeks or less (in my case much less), all the fuss is over. Now I find that whole milk is heavy and tastes funny...
tounge.gif

Skim milk is just about nature's most nearly perfect food for cutting. It offers only 10 calories per gram of protein. Without using skim milk and non-fat cottage cheese (ya gotta have yer Bonnie Clabber!) there's no way I could have made it down to 10% body fat.

Back