Current Issue of JAMA

Aaron_F

Any of you obesity buffs will probably like the latest issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association.
Apart from the publicised review of low carbohydrate diets, there is a plethora of other articles on drugs, behavioural techniques and the likes on obesity.
Very interesting reading.
There is also a short interview with atkins, ornish and wadden. The low carb review is relatively boring, with lots of stats and the likes (unlike what other whiners on mfw have said, its not a meta-analysis). The more interesting read is the associated editorial commentary by George Bray.

I do like the comment in the low carb article, which should annoy a large number of JAMA readership as well as a lot of dietitians out there.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There is currently insufficient evidence to make recommendations for or against the use of low carbohydrate diets, particularly amongst participants older than age 50, for use longer than 90days, or for diets of 20g/d or less of carbohydrates
(emphasis mine)

Journal of the American Medical Association

Thanks Aaron, I liked Bray's editorial too. I have yet to read through the rest of the issue, but willl soon. I started the low-carb review, but you're right, very boring.

may god smite thee aaron. i dont have access to good literature where im at so naturally i am jealous.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Cliner9er @ April 16 2003,5:21)]Good eye Aaron. You have to love the peer reviewed journal.
After having to read peer reviewed articles on topic that arnt interesting, they lose their appeal after a while
sad.gif

I just finished a big lit search for articles on standards for placing epidurals in people with different platelet levels . I somehow totally missed that issue. thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to check it out.

Sounds exciting.

There are a few new articles out on low carb that are 'relatively' good (for low carb) altho some are a bit wonky.

Interesting reply recently to the New York Times piece from Taubes

is here Big fat lies

Back