Personal Trainers

Rippt

I've been getting a lot of referral business lately for personal training and I've been considering the things that make pt effective. Keep in mind some of these are not necessary for an effective exercise program.

So aside from tailoring a specific plan to your client's goals/strenghts/weaknesses:

Vary the exercises
Reinforce flawless biomechanics
Train close to failure or use high-intensity techniques
Use unconventional exercises
Spot every rep and apply touch training when applicable
Provide verbal coaching
Move quickly from one exercise to the next (superset)
Focus on compound movements
Don't count reps; instead, focus on technique and rep speed

I would agree that your outline is probably the best to make someone completely dependent on you so you can make more money. No offense intended, but as a personal trainer, a few of the things you stated are exactly why I find personal training dull these days.

No offense taken. I was strictly talking from a business perspective.

Charles Glass is an example. He is a legend, no doubt; but do we honestly believe that the pros he trained were built on "variety and muscle stimulation"?

speakking of charles glass....there are several different books by different bodybuilders who reference him heavily. One of my favorite is the the book...I think it is called chemical pink or something...an interesting read.
Flex wheeler's book also talks about Mr. Glass. Flex also says in his book that once he started taking d-bol he never quit taking shots and pills until he 'retired'. If you want an insight as to what some of the ingredients are that a 'top' trainer uses, then check out dogcrapp's article in chad nichol's forum. I think you will get a chuckle. Funny, but true.

By the way, there are some EXCELLENT personal trainers around. You just have to find one that matches your needs.
Just like any other profession, there are some who are better than others. I have never used a personal trainer, but if I was getting ready for a show or something, I definetly think one would be of help. Also speed and conditioning coaches can be very helpful.

Back