Artificial Sweeteners- sweet poison?

Hardrock

Has anyone discovered that aspartame is causing them to get sick? I've been reading that it has been associated with sinus problems which is exactly what I've been attributing to overtraining symptoms. I've been drinking Diet Pepsi for years and started using Equal in my morning oatmeal recently. Is it just coincidence that my getting sick may be related to this increased aspartame usage and not overtraining?

Considering aspartame 'causes' every single potential problem known to man, why not..
crazy.gif

back off training or back off the aspartame nad see what happens.

Thanks for the reply. I've quit using aspartame products for 3 days now and my sinuses are clearing up- still not sure if it's because of not using aspartame or I'm recovering from this cycle.

aspartame=bad
you minus aspartame = good
you minus (bad) = good
you=good

You need to use Splenda . It contains no aspartame.
It is also the only one that you can even give to infants without any side effects.
Thanks
Sonny

From what I've read Splenda may be just as bad for you as aspartame- sugar in which the hydroxl atoms have been replaced by chlorine, which is a major toxin. I think I'll just swear off any artificial sweeteners but thanks for the reply.

A lot of protein powders use aspartame as a artificial sweetener... But maybe the total dosage is lower than in diet drinks.

/ R

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rain @ Sep. 26 2005,3:31)]A lot of protein powders use aspartame as a artificial sweetener... But maybe the total dosage is lower than in diet drinks.
/ R
You're right Rain. I always check the ingredients on the protein powder I buy. The ON Whey I'm currently using has acesulfame K and sucralose. I'm going to switch to their Natural Whey which doesn't have either.

Last I checked, ON Natural used stevia as the sweetener. Not that I mind- it's about the only one that doesn't give me a bitter aftertaste, but according to the FDA, stevia is the devil's work (untested in trials, blah, blah, blah). Never mind that it's been used in Central and South America for oh, millennia now. I think the sugar lobby is just a bit too powerful...

Umm, why not just knock off the equivalent of 30 grams of sugar (that you would like to add for taste and energy) from elsewhere in the diet . . .?

Does anyone actually prefer the artificial sweeteners in taste?

I use strictly Stevia or honey. Stay away from aspartame or splenda if you can... splenda is marketing at it's best.

I won't advertise on here but you can customize your protein powders at a few sites online... I always add stevia to my powders.

Yeah, I'm now using stevia, even though there are also some concerns over it's use. Also researching something called erythitol which comes from fruit and grains and may be even better than stevia as far as health concerns go.

Dextrose is glucose. That's probably as basic as you can get when it comes to sweeteners.

Personally, I don't see what all the scare is about artificial sweeteners. I use them when I'm cutting and don't want to the extra calories from any sugar I might use, but I don't worry about it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jester @ Sep. 29 2005,8:21)]Does anyone actually prefer the artificial sweeteners in taste?
Actually I do, especially when it comes to Iced Tea. I never realized there were so many problems with aspartame. 10% methanol?

My main concern about artificial sweeteners is the taste. A hollow, empty excuse for sweetness. I guess that's why it's called artificial.

Regards,
/ R

[bump]

Similar to the aspartame thread that I bumped... I am interested in the true effects of the chlorine in Splenda.

Stevia has no "long term" studies done...except for the fact that it's been around forever - I don't like the slightly licorice taste of it, but get along w/ it overall.
erythitol : expensive here, bad taste for me.
Splenda: No long term studies is all I've found. The methanol amount was negligible.

What do I use? Think Pink. Sugar Twin and it's associates use dextrose and maltodextrin, which BB'ers use in gigantic amounts around workouts, and saccharin, which causes ...get this, the original reason for the scare...ONE type of cancer in ONE type of rat when given megalithic amounts of the stuff. No humans damaged yet.
Can you spell "sugar lobby" kiddies?

Back