squats

Nemesis7884

tounge.gif

i hate squats - i'am sorry but that's fact

someone told me they would grow on me...

but after 5 years of lifting i can seriously say - they don't

Not sure they are "my personal paradise" however, i don't hate them. Although it is intimidating when the weight on the bar is over my own body weight. When I see that, or see the bar bowing a lil, I am like "do i really have to do these?"

But in actuality, that is the only exercise that makes me feel "strong". Pull ups kinda do, but nuthin like good ole squats.

Anyway, that's my two pennies worth.

I love to tell myself I love squats, and have been including them in every single routine I've written, claiming it's the king of exercises, and trying to convert leg pressers

but if I really honestly look into my soul I must admit I prefer Bench press, and get more excited for my upper body day of my spilt
blush.gif

laugh.gif
hahaha, I voted for "Squats?!"

"Squats are evil!" :D

Well, I gave up having to endure that. Like Rakki, I prefer the Bench press, but I gave that up for incline bench press, again leaving my ego at the door and sacrificing a lot of poundage in order to accomodate incline bench press.

So instead of squats (they also didn't "grow on me") I do deadlifts. And now I've come up with a super scientific conclusion: yep, deadlifts are evil too!

Ah, well, just reminds me of the saying, "no pain, no gain." :D

-JV

I love them. I look forward to them. I've dropped them at periods due to back issues (unrelated to lifting), and I don't feel nearly as driven. Squats are the opening to every session, on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I love the exercise like no other. Legs have always been my strong point, and I feel powerful when I can throw up double bodyweight and then some for reps.

Hey

I'm no liar, I love them to death literally, they flipping near kill me every time, but I keep going back for more.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]They were invented by the Marquis de Sade

I laughed myself sick with this one, very good, they certainly were not invented by anyone kind, the Marquis suits the part just "dandy"
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

My next target, double my body weight.

Current squat weight: 124 Kgs for 5 reps (just last night)
Current weight: 70 Kgs

Next cycle will try for a 10% increase that is +/- 136 Kgs, double body weight is 140, maybe I will tackle it!

Love-hate relationship!

I hate to start doing them but after squats I`m lovin`it :D

I just love the feeling when your done and your legs can barely stand you.

Hint: after HC-leg training when your about to leave the shower rinse your legs with cold water. I mean icecold. That kicks in the blood flow and voilà, you can get up from bed next morning without calling your mom to help you :D

Squats are the best. I've had to stop doing them at certain times because of knees issues. Once during a squat I had a severe pain in my right knee and fell, dropped the whole thing a few inches short of it coming down on the back of my neck. For a while after that I was scared to do them. However, recently I've gotten back into doing them and have gotten up to body weight squatting again, with no knee issues.

However scared I was of them, I missed them a lot. They're my favorite again. Second favorite would be rows, then curls I'd say. Squats just make me feel good no matter how brutal they are. It's one of the few exercises that can make feel like I didn't something significant while working out.

I liked them at one time, but now that I'm doing ATG squats I dred them. Going to the floor makes them eceptionally brutal. Especially in the 15's, even though I enjoy every excersise in the 5's I still prefer Deadlifts.

i was having problems with squats,i began to dread them,i was getting some pain in my hips.so i decided to stand on a couple of plates(weights)with my heals and that sorted it,now they are my daily bread.

Icars

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]so i decided to stand on a couple of plates

You bet! I always used a plank wide enough to give me the width I need, and about 2 cms thick, pretty much equivalent to a plate.

I wonder who decided that squats must be done feet flat on the floor, dang, it never worked for me, and from a mechanical pont of view, I can't see how it will work for anyone, maybe if you are quite tall, I have no idea, still think it is dumb to suggest that all around (I think it is a person specific thing)
laugh.gif

I used to hate them but then realised that I was not doing them the best way. I'm slightly tall, and I was having my feet close in, which meant that as the bar came down in a straight line, my back would bend down too much. As a result I would always have back pain, bitch about squats, and move to leg press or something like that. Then I discovered if you put your feet slightly wider than shoulder position you back is not forced to bend so much in the squat, so you are more upright and feel like you can generate more power.....

I've found the same thing, I also wear olympic lifting shoes and I point my toes outwards. It really helps keep an upright back. I still am a super-weak squatter though.

For me squats are like a power/progress guage. I can't say I love doing them but I love that I do them! Same goes for deads. The results are great.
smile.gif

I prefer to do flat foot squats and go as deep as I can while keeping my back as flat and upright as possible. I also use a stance with feet spaced slightly wider than shoulder width and with toes pointing slightly outwards.

In three cycles my 5RM squat has gone from 235lb to 315lb (and I'm hoping to beat that in the post 5s). My 10RM is now around 255lb. So I'm very pleased with progress under HST so far and all this without ever going to failure!

Back