HST Calculator Instructions

Most RM calcs are based on power lifting movements, but there are several equations to use I use:

For 2 RM
1 RM divided by 1.047

For 5's
1 RM/1.167

For 10's
1 RM/1.33

For 15's
1RM/1.475

Please keep in mind the BEST way is to do your RM for each. That is the ONLY way to get YOUR true RM.

These formulas get me close but I ONLY use them to get an IDEA of what I need to put on the bar when testing RM. I DO NOT use them as an absolute.

Should I use the advanced or normal hst planner? I'm just starting hst and I can easily figure out how to set up the advanced or is it meant to be used once the normal stops giving you muscle gains?

I would be happy to work with Bryan in creating a new HST calculator one that can export to a text or csv file using some php server side scripting and flash or html but need to know the formulas if any?

Make it bigger better easier?

Anyway just a thought, if interested just email or send PM.

I just started my first workout today. I created a excel spreadsheet for me an my partner it works pretty good. I used the 15,10, 5 rep formulas for my excel spread sheet.

My question is should I stick with the 2 week intervals of 15, 10, 5, 2. Or should I do it per week like another word document I saw. 15, 12, 10, 8, 5 ? Which is most true to the program?

A question on the calculator that has me a little confused:

Across the top, there are columns labeled 1-6.

Obviously 6, is the 15/10/5 RM weight, correct?

Ok, what are columns 1-5 for?

Is it:

1 - is the first workout
2 - second workout
3 - third workout

and so forth.

Just wanted to make sure I understood.

cheers,

thecoffeeguy

I've got the calculator instructions down, but I have noticed that some of the calculations for workouts have zeros. Does that mean I need to skip a particular exercise for that workout? I've been going ahead and lifting whatever weight would be required for the next workout. Maybe I'll need to re-adjust my maxes again.

Thanks for the help!

Here is an HST spread sheet I found on the net. I have not changed any values in it (weights, increments, etc...).
Note, if the values in the % columns in the lower half don't work, you need to install the Excel add-in the enable the MROUND function.
I like this better than the HST calculator as you can edit & save the files, change colors, fonts, add rows for more exercises, etc..
Hope this helps!
Just follow the instructions provided.
Mega

The above spread sheet is not working. I could not edit or repair it. Here it is again for anyone who wants it.

Omega

great thing !
thank you very much
biggrin.gif

Ok, I have currently a fairly decent workout regime ready to be put to use with the calculator provided in this topic but i am having a hard time understanding how to figure the RM. Is it my 1RM of each lift or is it my max out on 15, 10, 5, and 2 reps? And if it is the 15....2, i don't understand why you would lift weights drastically lower than what you max. It says, "This spread sheet does not calculate based on your 1RM." Can somebody pls tell me what to plug in on the cell labeled "6"?

Also, I have been using Ellington Darden's HIT workouts and am use to 6-8 second positive+negative repetition. What is a good tempo for a beginner in HST workouts?. If somebody could pls let me know so i can get started, i'd really appreciate it.

You use your max for each rep range.  So the max weight you can lift 15, 10 and 5 times is what you plug into the calculator.  Once calculate your weights make sure you lightest weight for each rep range is no less than 70% of your RM for that range.  That may mean that you have to repeat weights for a couple workouts on the lighter exercises (e.g.: latteral raise) to start at 70% and increment up to 100%.  There is pleanty of info on this in the forums.

For a rep tempo I personally do about 2 seconds up and 3-4 seconds down.  But I don't know if that is optimal or if a different tempo would be better.  That's just what I have been doing.  There is probably info on this in the forums as well but I have not looked to see what others think is the best tempo.

Does anyone have a working HST spreadsheet anymore? For the life of me, I can not find mine anywhere. I have been doing it manually for a while which is no big deal but I always like to tinker with spreadsheets.

Keystone

My HST spreadsheet is pretty simple. I make 3 blocks of 6 columns each, for each mesocycle. The 6th column/workout of each mesocycle receives the RM load for that mesocycle, 15RM for the first block, 10RM for the second and 5RM for the 3rd. For columns 1-5 I do 75% * column 6, 80% * column 6, 85%... and so on. And it is done. All I have to do is round the resulting weights to usable loads.

Thanks for the explaining!

I just wonder (I'm probably stupid as hell)...

If you manage to do 15 reps with 121 lbs, that's your RM in 15 reps. But w you calculate it stands that you are going to do day 1 with 66 lbs, day 2 with 77 lbs, day 3 with 88 lbs, day 4 with 99 lbs, day 5 with 110 lbs and day 6 with 121 lbs. Am I right?

And when you are doing your last two weeks (in your 8 week cycle). If you do 5 reps in four weeks, are you going to lift with the same weights the last two weeks as you did in the first two?

And my last question... It has nothing to do with the calculator; After a 8 week long cycle, are you going to take one week of rest then? Without weightlifting? And if this is the case, can you do some cardio under this week?

Last edited:
I think the goal should be to beat your RM at the end of each two week "mesocycle", so if you can do 121 for 15 reps before your cycle, you should set a goal of 5-10% more than that for the last workout of the second week. I can usually hit my RM on the second workout of the second week and beat it on the next workout.

In easiest terms, HST is continuously increasing weights every workout and dropping reps every two weeks. Weeks 5&6 are when you do 5 reps per set, so the next progression is to drop reps again for weeks 7&8. Personally, I find I can only do seven weeks, and do 1-3 reps per set that last week, then begin SD. Again, personally, I find that 9-10 days of no training, including cardio, is best for me.

Thanks!

In the calculator ... is the "inc" set in lbs or kg?

Either, I believe. I don't think it matters. Everything is a function of the percentage of your RM weights.

In answer to your other question, yes, your first workouts of each two-week block are going to be with weights that are below your maximum and may seem easy, but remember that is the point of Strategic Deconditioning. Since you can't continuously train with your max weights, SD makes these sub-max weights more effective at stimulating growth. If I find a weight is too easy I'll either do extra reps or add another set with either the same or more weight (I never do more than two sets of an exercise in a given workout, however). I also note this in my log and use a greater increment for the next workout.

Last edited:
Back