4 Day Split Routines

bigtomma

I've been using a 3 day full body routine for 4 cycles with good results but feel like a change. Does anybody have any tried and tested 4 day routines?

Push/pull, upper/lower anything else? I'm keen to try something new

Use upper lower split over 4 days . Monday Upper Tuesday Lower Wendesday off repeat.

Hit 40 to 60 reps per large muscle groups (Chest/Back/Legs)

Hit 20 to 30 reps for smaller muscle groups (consider overlap).

Progess on the big lifts use pump work for for accessory lifts.

Bascially use a load that provides tension and then finish up with higher reps for metabolic work.

For example using Chest on upper day.

You could do doing dumbbell bench press 4 sets of 6 to 8 reps (tension) 2 to 3 minute rest between sets.
Then flys 2 to 3 sets of 12 to 15 reps Metabolic work with short rest periods.

Ramp the loads over about 6 to 8 weeks then deload a week and start over.

Thanks so much for your response. I'll take into account all you've said and build a routine around it. Thanks again !!

Better to do 4 days of full body routine than a twice a week program even if it is split. Adding frequency is more important, in general, than adding volume.

Interesting, how would you base a 4 day full body workout over a week? Would mon,tues,third,fri work?
That would work but assume you do not / cannot train at the weekend? I personally would use 2 routines and adjust volume to approx 75% per session of what you currently do per session so you maintain volume to start with and then adjust upwards based on how you feel.

I currently train full body on a A/B/C routine on 3 day on 1 day off (supposed to take a day off but currently do shrugs on that day) as follows:

A – Flat Barbell Bench / Bent over Rows / Standing Military Press / Rear Squat (ATG) / Calf Raise
B – Dips / Landmine Single Arm Linear Jammer / Barbell (40mm deficit) Hack Squat / Deadlift / Calf Raise
C – Incline Barbell Bench / Landmine Rows / Standing Military Press / Front Squat / Calf Raise

Progression and Rep Totals

15s workout 1 – 55% of 1rm – 28 reps (1st set 15 reps then myo reps)
15s workout 2 – 60% of 1rm – 25 reps (1st set 15 reps then myo reps)
15s workout 3 – 62.5% of 1rm – 24 reps (1st set 15 reps then myo reps)
15s workout 4 – 65% of 1rm – 22 reps (1st set 15 reps then myo reps)

10s workout 5 – 67.5% of 1rm – 20 reps (1st set 10 reps then myo reps)
10s workout 6 – 70% of 1rm – 19 reps (1st set 10 reps then myo reps)
10s workout 7 – 72.5% of 1rm – 17 reps (1st set 10 reps then clusters)
10s workout 8 – 75% of 1rm – 16 reps (1st set 10 reps then clusters)

5s workout 9 – 77.5% of 1rm – 14 reps (1st set 5 reps then clusters)
5s workout 10 – 80% of 1rm – 13 reps (1st set 5 reps then clusters)
5s workout 11 – 82.5% of 1rm – 11 reps (1st set 5 reps then clusters)
5s workout 12 – 85% of 1rm – 9 reps (1st set 5 reps then clusters)

Would depend on what level you at in terms of strength and your tolerance to daily training, as I said I train 5/6 days per week full body (split between am and pm for convenience) and it is currently working well but if you look at my previous post the volume per session is not that high.

I'm still fairly young at 31 and since I've started hst using the standard principles 2 years ago my strength has rocketed. I've gone from bench pressing half my body weight to pressing my bodyweight for reps(a lot of which was done while cutting bizarrely)!! I work a 9-5 so am is out of the question really for me.

I also work 9-5 but as train at home just get up at 6 and train at 6:15 and then train again when get home at night but as daily volume is reduced the workouts do not take much longer than 35 to 40 minutes during the 5s

Id love to train am but if I started clattering 20kg plates when my lady is in bed I'd seriously be in the bad books!!! My gym is next door to my bedroom and the walls are thin !!!!

Point taken lol, I also get moaned at by my daughter as gym is below her bedroom in garage but she gets up at 6:30 to get ready for college so just ignore her moans!!

Tomma, like Mick, I use multiple routines and workout a minimum of 4 times and sometimes up to 6 times per week. I also split between AM/PM as it keeps me rested. Each workout (whether AM or PM) is about 20 minutes in length. 6 times per week is pushing it a bit for me at my age so I would guess my average is about 4.5 times per week or about three hours per week in total. I workout when I can and may even go to splitting a day's routine into 3 sessions if my schedule demands it. My workouts are using Myo reps so I am almost always constantly in motion during my workout session. It adds a bit of aerobic activity for me as a side benefit.

If you are fairly new to lifting (say under 3-5 years), perhaps every other day would be a good option for you. That would allow 48 hours for muscles to grow and rest. As you become more advanced, that is more toward your genetic potential and not just number of years lifting, you will benefit even more from increased frequency.

Good luck!

Back