Critique My Am/pm Routine

Shrödinger

Hi folks,

I´m planning a bulking with an AM/PM workout. The idea is going about traditional HST in the morning and myo-reps with calisthenics in the evening, three times per week. I have a simple home gym, so I can´t do any leg press/curl/extension.

Below is my workout:

AM Workout

Volume per rep range:

15s: 25 reps (Clustering, maybe rest-pause with 30s)

10s: 20 reps

5s: 15 reps

5s+: 10 reps (maybe triples)

Exercise Selection:

Squat*

RDL*

(*) Alternate Squat/Deadlift each workout during 5s and 5s+

BB Bench Press

BB Rows

Military Press

PM Workout

Goblet Squat:

15s: 1 activation set of 20+5+5+5+5

10s: 1 activation set of 15+5+5+5

5s/5s+: 1 activation set of 12+4+4+4

Chin-ups:

15s: 1 activation set of 12+4+4+4

10s: 1 activation set of 9+3+3+3

5s/5s+: 1 activation set of 6+2+2+2

Dips:

15s: 1 activation set of 12+4+4+4

10s: 1 activation set of 9+3+3+3

5s/5s+: 1 activation set of 6+2+2+2

Thanks in advance for any inputs!

Not bad but myo reps actually work better with higher reps: 8+. When you get to 5's, I think you are better off with a longer rest time and a multiple complete set of 5's. Just my experience.

I think you are right. I actualy thought about that. Thanks!

Just a couple of more questions:
  1. What about doing triples in the 5s+? Any thoughts?
  2. I will probably have to do activation sets of 25/20/15 in the goblet squat, due to the light weights. Do you think it´s too many reps? Once I read that too many reps could signal an endurance type of protein synthesis (Blade, I think), but I´m probably overthinking this stuff..
Cheers

Last edited:
Triples are fine. Anything that helps you grow without injury is fine in my book.

I do not do activation sets above 15 but I know some who have with good results. The high reps will signal a sarcoplasmic type of growth. There is nothing wrong with that except that it disappears a lot quicker than myofibrillar hypertrophy which results from strength gains from using heavier weights. Of course, this will not happen unless you stop training for a rather significant amount of time.

I would question why you are doing goblet squats though unless you are new to training and have not mastered proper squat technique yet. If that were the case, though, I would question why you were using myo reps which are best for fairly advanced lifters.

The thing is i'll already be doing squats in the mornings and they are not very well suited for myo reps. That said, my first option for the pm workouts would be leg presses, which i don't have at home. I could do lunges instead, but I want this routine to be fast - one of the reasons for the myo reps.
Maybe the goblet squats will only burn some extra calories... Dont know. I´m certainly open for ideas.

I'm not advanced - far from that. Not a novice either. I squat with 220lb for 5 reps (weighing 160lbr). I think early intermediate. My bench is way better due to have neglegted the legs for a while: 200lb for 5 reps.

Thats it.

Cheers

Last edited:
Back