Dup, Rpe And Hst

Yes, you are correct and thank you for coming to my defense. I'm hoping to get the ffmi up a few before my next competition. I should be at 22.5 adjusted ffmi, not bad but still a long way to go, if I want to get to 25.
No problem just felt your FFMI suggested natural so thought I would try and defend you as we share a birthday.

As far as putting down HST and giving all the props to DUP, that wouldn't be fair either. Size, I think I did better on HST but strength, I would say I did a lot better on DUP.
I beg to disagree that you grew better with HST. You were simply recovering the size lost during the cut. HST shines in recovering lost size. And you grew new muscle much better with DUP - that would be an undiplomatic but still an on spot way of describing things.

I beg to disagree that you grew better with HST. You were simply recovering the size lost during the cut. HST shines in recovering lost size. And you grew new muscle much better with DUP - that would be an undiplomatic but still an on spot way of describing things.

My biceps shrank 1/4 inch, when I left HST and went to DUP but I needed to get my strength up. I'm trying to get on American Ninja Warrior and I want more functional strength verses bigger muscles, for now. If I don't get on the show, I will go back to HST for a cycle and alternate between the two and see how it works. Strength doesn't always lead to size and size doesn't always mean that you got stronger. There are two different types of hypertrophy and sarcoplasmic shows up a lot quicker than myofilir hypertrophy but both are necessary for ongoing growth.

Were you doing higher rep metabolic work during your HST cycles every workout? That would explain bigger sizes. Did you lose in size in other areas? Was the exercise selection the same? Maybe you didn't hit your arms as hard or as frequently.

Were you doing higher rep metabolic work during your HST cycles every workout? That would explain bigger sizes. Did you lose in size in other areas? Was the exercise selection the same? Maybe you didn't hit your arms as hard or as frequently.

Reps and sets on my biceps and triceps have been the same on both systems. I think the system for inducing better sarcoplamic hypertrophy is just better on HST. But again, I can only go off of my experience and can not make a blanket statement, as to this being fact. I think both approaches are very good but in different ways and you need both ways to progress. I am curious, if when I go back to HST, if my arms get even bigger, because I believe that DUP added some muscle fiber to my little frame and HST should be able to give more volume.

I guess I didn't answer all of you questions, sorry. On DUP, my legs grew 1/2 inch, which I think that has something to do with the fact that I was doing squats verses leg press and hack machine. I think squats are better and a more well rounded as a growth builder. I didn't lose size in any other area, just arms and only a small amount. As far as frequency on my arms, I've done both, worked them three times a week and worked them on Saturday (keeping the volume exactly the same) but no difference at all on either approach.

I've been using DUP as well for the past eight weeks and all my maxes have improved. Here's my workout.

Monday hypertrophy 8 reps - bench, squat, deadlift and weighted pull-ups
Wednesday power 1-3 reps - same as above
Friday strength 5-6 reps - same as above
Saturday bi, tri, shoulder, upper and middle traps and calf work.

If all of my lifts are increasing, (in all of the rep ranges and of course my diet is in check) should I grow in this program? In your opinion. Thank you in advance.

How many sets are you doing?

Rihad you appear to be determined to prove HST cannot work but if you look at the post below it shows that golfnuts competition was in July 2013 and in June 2014 before starting HST he weighed 144lbs so a 12lb gain in 11 months (don't know if all that time was spent bulking) and after 8 weeks of HST he weighed 157lbs so a 13lb increase in body weight with a 10lb increase in LBM in 8 weeks

My starting stats (my first bodybuilding contest)
7/22/2013

height 5'5"
weight 132 in the morning
arm 14.5
leg 19
chest 39
calf 12.5 (don't laugh)
body fat 3.9%

6/16/2014 (tried to bulk up)

weight 144
arm 15
leg 20.5
chest 40
calf 13
body fat 6.7%

8/12/2014 (after one cycle of HST training)

weight 157
arm 15.5
leg 22.5
chest 43
calf 13.25
body fat 7.96%

So for the record he did not go straight from competition into HST and 'recovering the size lost during the cut'

How many sets are you doing?

On bench, squat, deadlift and pull-ups, I did 2 sets, the same that I did on HST. Sometimes, I would do three set on power days (1-3 reps scheme) depending on how I felt. As far as bi, tri, calf and shoulder, they would get 6 sets and and lower and upper traps would get 3 sets each.

Rihad you appear to be determined to prove HST cannot work but if you look at the post below it shows that golfnuts competition was in July 2013 and in June 2014 before starting HST he weighed 144lbs so a 12lb gain in 11 months (don't know if all that time was spent bulking) and after 8 weeks of HST he weighed 157lbs so a 13lb increase in body weight with a 10lb increase in LBM in 8 weeks

So for the record he did not go straight from competition into HST and 'recovering the size lost during the cut'

I like your attention to detail. I did 5x5, German volume training and DC training before coming to HST in that year. I was doing a very lean bulk (not trying to let my weight get out of control). I think maybe he hasn't had the success that others has had on this system and credits it to the system and maybe not on nutrition or other factors. I would love to know why, he is on this pursuit.

I like your attention to detail. I did 5x5, German volume training and DC training before coming to HST in that year. I was doing a very lean bulk (not trying to let my weight get out of control). I think maybe he hasn't had the success that others has had on this system and credits it to the system and maybe not on nutrition or other factors. I would love to know why, he is on this pursuit.
Could be I have OCD but I have always tried to have all the facts to hand before entering into discussions and as I had remembered you had posted info before just looked back and got them.

I feel that Rihad has religiously followed HST for a very long time (5 years I believe) without getting the results he expected, I still feel that the system works but some people have to modify it to suit their own bodies, for me I do not zig zag so I am pretty much always training at 90% or above of my rep max for each block (so in effect I start at approx 57.5% of 1rm incrementing 2.5% twice per week) and Rihad believes that is why I grow because I do not really train at sub optimal weights, he may be right but it is what works for me - I like the structure and knowing what I will be doing from week to week again it could be OCD!!!!!

Could be I have OCD but I have always tried to have all the facts to hand before entering into discussions and as I had remembered you had posted info before just looked back and got them.

I feel that Rihad has religiously followed HST for a very long time (5 years I believe) without getting the results he expected, I still feel that the system works but some people have to modify it to suit their own bodies, for me I do not zig zag so I am pretty much always training at 90% or above of my rep max for each block (so in effect I start at approx 57.5% of 1rm incrementing 2.5% twice per week) and Rihad believes that is why I grow because I do not really train at sub optimal weights, he may be right but it is what works for me - I like the structure and knowing what I will be doing from week to week again it could be OCD!!!!!

That's why I try not to make blanket statements, just because this has worked for me (so far) but that doesn't mean that it will work for everyone. If we keep posting our results of this program and other programs, it might help someone who hasn't been growing the way that they want. That's what lead me here in the first place. I liked 5x5 but got bored and didn't think staying in one rep range was the best approach. German volume training and DC did not work for me at all. In fact, I think I got weaker on GVT. Who knows, I might be posting about another workout style, in a few months that has helped me a little more.

Rihad stop trying to twist people into your theories. Even more, stop proclaiming them as fact when far more successful lifters completely disagree with you and your personal interpretations of studies.

Golfnut, good luck on the Ninja show. After that, you may try some Myo Rep training along with DUP and HST. I have seen some nice growth when I thought I was pretty well maxed out.

Golfnut, good luck on the Ninja show. After that, you may try some Myo Rep training along with DUP and HST. I have seen some nice growth when I thought I was pretty well maxed out.

Thank you for that. I will try that, after I find out if I get picked or not and I'll post on here, if they select me. I'm hoping my age will help me get on there.

Rihad stop trying to twist people into your theories. Even more, stop proclaiming them as fact when far more successful lifters completely disagree with you and your personal interpretations of studies.
What I said was solely my opinion based on my own experience.
As for you, I'm happy not to be as "successfully fat" as you are on the avatar. Form matters. Simply lifting for strength without caring how you look on a day to day basis is a losing proposition.

Back