9 Hst Cycles Done....now What?

robthebeast

finished 9 cycles with the 15,10,5 setup. most gains and lifts have stalled. however with squats im still adding weight and goig strong. was wondering whats a good way to switch this routine up or a good routine to do after HST to keep the gains coming?

Well Rob, can you share some of your stats, current program, diet, recovery, etc.? Honestly HST is a dynamic enough program you don't need to move programs if you are just looking for hypertrophy. If your goals have changed then maybe it would make sense to change your program too. That being said your stalling is likely occurring due to other factors.

Clustering, myoreps, max stim.

You can also change the rep scheme. 12, 8, 5, 3. 8, 5, 3, singles. 8, 5, 3, 3. W/E

Have you made good size gains on the 9 cycles?

i have. probably not too drastic i havent taken measurements or pictures but i can tell ive grown and friends have all said ive gotten alot bigger. strength has gone thro the roof. when i started i could barely squat 300 lbs for maybe 2 reps. now im squatting 380 for 5reps pretty easy. im going to continue with the workout may change the rep schemes soon

Nice strength results. Do you think HST has given you more muscle growth than any other program?

the only other program that gave me good gains besides hst was a 5x5 setup. i ate like a horse tho. got big but eventually got a big gut along with it. while on hst i sort of carb cycle. its allowed me to stay pretty lean but add some good size.

I am no novice and use to do various programs that gave me great results. Programs that took a lot of time and dedication. I am just starting my third week of HST after taking the last two years off from lifting. New job, baby, and wife took priority and after loosing everything I worked for in the last 15 years I am back at it. I enjoy the program and plan to use this for many cycles. Its not time consuming and my goals are not to be 215Lb at 8% body fat. My goals are to be 190lbs and strong with a lean fit.

My question is for RobtheBeast. Doing calves at low reps has never given me results. have you continued to follow the program strictly or tailored it as you went along. I think for calves on 15rep weeks ill do 20 reps, 10 rep weeks ill do 15 reps, 5 rep weeks ill do 10 reps.

Doing calves at low reps has never given me results. have you continued to follow the program strictly or tailored it as you went along. I think for calves on 15rep weeks ill do 20 reps, 10 rep weeks ill do 15 reps, 5 rep weeks ill do 10 reps.

Personally I find even higher reps than that work better for me, starting the cycle with 30 reps (when I actually train them).

Heavy, low-rep sets for calves are going to work very well, if you do enough volume.
Calves are tough as heck as they are in constant daily use and so become very conditioned to heavy loads (eg. each calf is loaded in turn with almost your entire body weight when walking). So, calves require far more volume than a single set of 15 reps or 3 sets of 5 reps.
Messing about with light-weight, metabolic sets of 15-30 reps never did much for me, but when I increased the load to the point where I could only perform sets of 5, and I also upped the volume, I finally made some gains.
My sweet spot is around 30 reps. Even though that's 6 sets, it's not as time consuming as it might seem because calves seem to recover fairly quickly, so rest periods don't need to be as lengthy as for other lifts in the 5's. I also tried doing a set for calves after each of my other exercises to reduce waiting time still further, which worked well, as long as no one else was using the calf-raise machine.

Back