Big Glutes X Deadlift...how To Balance?

leonardopm

Hi all, I'm back.

I have no doubt that my life is now split in before and after deadlifts. Since I started doing them I got the biggest traps and forearms on my entire life. I also banned completely my spinal issues. It's a wonderful exercise and I don't intend to leave it ever.

However I'm naturally gifted on hips and glutes. They grow from nothing. My pants would tear every time I bulk. I decided to start cutting last week at (only) 15%, even looking good, because I have no pants that fit me anymore.

My routine is actually based on alternating 2x10 and 3x5 sessions, full body 3x a week. I'm doing this:

Regular DL (alternating with sumo)
OHP
Chins
Leg press
Seated row
Bench
Calf raise
Accessory work for bis and tris, when necessary.

Lately I started to put a 10kg plate under the weights when doing DL's, what would be technically a block pull, but these plates are close to 1" only. I'd like to hear from you how can I keep doing DLs without getting so big glutes.

Thanks,

Leonardo

Hi all, I'm back.

I have no doubt that my life is now split in before and after deadlifts. Since I started doing them I got the biggest traps and forearms on my entire life. I also banned completely my spinal issues. It's a wonderful exercise and I don't intend to leave it ever.

However I'm naturally gifted on hips and glutes. They grow from nothing. My pants would tear every time I bulk. I decided to start cutting last week at (only) 15%, even looking good, because I have no pants that fit me anymore.

My routine is actually based on alternating 2x10 and 3x5 sessions, full body 3x a week. I'm doing this:

Regular DL (alternating with sumo)
OHP
Chins
Leg press
Seated row
Bench
Calf raise
Accessory work for bis and tris, when necessary.

Lately I started to put a 10kg plate under the weights when doing DL's, what would be technically a block pull, but these plates are close to 1" only. I'd like to hear from you how can I keep doing DLs without getting so big glutes.

Thanks,

Leonardo

1. You cannot do deadlifts withouth the glutes. You cannot take the glutes out of it. It is fundamentally a glute exercise. I will assume you understand the concept of flexion and extension re: joints. The deadlift is a hip hinge movement; that means the hips go from being flexed into full extension (lockout). The glutes are the muscles that do this.

2. Big glutes separate the men from the boys.

3. Women will confirm #2, if that matters to you.

4. Deadlifts are the most comprehensive exercises you can do. With proper bracing, the only muscles it doesn't work in some capacity are the anterior deltoids (yes, even your pecs help hold the bar in place with your lats).

5. If you want to minimise glute involvement, rack pulls are not the way to go. Maybe block // rack pulls from above the knee? But that's just an ego lift that won't actually build anything.

6. Make the rest of your muscles bigger, then your glutes will look smaller proportionally.

Me? Deadlifting on YouTube? Serious?

I think I'd prefer another way... ;)

It isn't like more than 10 people will ever see it ...

... use a Vine if you need another platform to load it.

There is only one solution:

Buy a Delorean and time travel back a few decades and choose parents with a history of having the skinny butt gene. The only problem with that is you are likely to also acquire the skinny leg gene.

There is only one solution:

Buy a Delorean and time travel back a few decades and choose parents with a history of having the skinny butt gene. The only problem with that is you are likely to also acquire the skinny leg gene.

Skinny legs suck.

It's a good idea, there is a Brazilian guy near my city that bought a De Lorean. Obviously he conceived many interviews to TV channels past week. He even bought the transforming kit to put his car identical to the movie one.

1. You cannot do deadlifts withouth the glutes. You cannot take the glutes out of it. It is fundamentally a glute exercise. I will assume you understand the concept of flexion and extension re: joints. The deadlift is a hip hinge movement; that means the hips go from being flexed into full extension (lockout). The glutes are the muscles that do this.

2. Big glutes separate the men from the boys.

3. Women will confirm #2, if that matters to you.

4. Deadlifts are the most comprehensive exercises you can do. With proper bracing, the only muscles it doesn't work in some capacity are the anterior deltoids (yes, even your pecs help hold the bar in place with your lats).

5. If you want to minimise glute involvement, rack pulls are not the way to go. Maybe block // rack pulls from above the knee? But that's just an ego lift that won't actually build anything.

6. Make the rest of your muscles bigger, then your glutes will look smaller proportionally.

It isn't like more than 10 people will ever see it ...

... use a Vine if you need another platform to load it.

1. I understand.

2. Agree.

3. Not sure. Some women like it other don't.

4. Entirely agree.

5. Indeed. I thought of doing this and after a while I came to the same conclusion you did. It won't build nothing except some injuries, maybe.

6. Excellent idea but if I'm progressing on deadlifts as the rest of my lifts I'll always get bigger and bigger glutes, even if the rest of my body grow. What if I drop reps on deads to 3/5 instead 5/10?

About the video, I'm very sure I won't do it.

1. I understand.

2. Agree.

3. Not sure. Some women like it other don't.

4. Entirely agree.

5. Indeed. I thought of doing this and after a while I came to the same conclusion you did. It won't build nothing except some injuries, maybe.

6. Excellent idea but if I'm progressing on deadlifts as the rest of my lifts I'll always get bigger and bigger glutes, even if the rest of my body grow. What if I drop reps on deads to 3/5 instead 5/10?

About the video, I'm very sure I won't do it.

Your glutes have a genetic limit just like the rest of you. You might reach that limit first with glutes, but regardless, the rest will catch up. Honestly, it probably just means that they were under-developed to begin with and are now catching up, and you're just not used to it.

Honestly, I'd just get massive and let everyone else worry about you walking around at 100kg+ rather than worry about your glutes.

Your glutes have a genetic limit just like the rest of you. You might reach that limit first with glutes, but regardless, the rest will catch up. Honestly, it probably just means that they were under-developed to begin with and are now catching up, and you're just not used to it.

Honestly, I'd just get massive and let everyone else worry about you walking around at 100kg+ rather than worry about your glutes.

I'll keep myself worried about my plus size glutes but I like the way you deal with it. Anyway, I started to cut and considering that glutes have a great portion of fat I expect to get more balanced at the end.

Maybe I should really get cool with it...

I'll keep myself worried about my plus size glutes but I like the way you deal with it. Anyway, I started to cut and considering that glutes have a great portion of fat I expect to get more balanced at the end.

Maybe I should really get cool with it...

My deadlift is more than 100kgs higher than my squat max right now. My glutes are massive. And I could care less. People ask me what I do in the gym and move out of the way in malls/shopping centres - without me being a bully, just because I'm big.

Works for me.

Chicks like man with big butt. Do you remember the buzz around the soccer player know as Hulk?

I do have big butt (94 cm vs 75cm waist) and my fat storage pattern is more likely female (more fat in glutes and legs than in abs).

Be proud of your glutes. There are women that probably envy you.

Back