Cutting / Volume / Power Days / Paused Lifts

leonardopm

Hi all,

I've been cutting for 3 months now and things are going well so far, but I'm starting to feel a little tired from training 3x a week with maximal effort.

My current routine is a 3x a week full body session as follows:

CORE LIFTS
Deadlifts (these only twice a week)
Overhead press
Chins
Leg press
Bench press

ACESSORY (2x a week)
Seated cable row
Standing calf raise
Ab work
Triceps push down

The sessions alternate 3x5 reps @ 85% and 2x10 reps @ 75% for the core lifts and accessory work is usually done for 10 reps at RPE 9.

First question: I was wondering if this volume is a bit too much for a cut?

Second question: should I introduce a power day on my scheme so I could have one lighter session every week? I don't see as a good idea to train only twice a week.

These days I read a good article from Greg Knuckols about using paused movements to help overcome sticking points, specially on the core lifts. I thought I could use these paused variations on a power day and work maybe with 3x3 reps @ 70-80 %.

Bullshit? Thoughts on this please.

Thanks,

Leonardo

@leonardopm,

Personally I would drop some of the accessory work such as seated cable row (back is pretty much covered as you are already deadlifting and doing chins, you could always change / rotate your grip on chins from workout to workout) and tricep pushdowns (triceps are already covered by OH press and bench press), you probably do not need to do calf raises but can understand why you are doing them, also is 3 x 5 reps too much for you on max workouts and the accessory work (it would be for me but then I am an old 'git'), what rest do you take between sets?

Hi mick,

I've been thinking about cutting down triceps work. Not sure about cable rows but I can eventually do this.

I don't monitor rest times but I'm probably around 2-3 minutes for deads and bench with shorter times for the other lifts.

Back