Hst Noob Setup

Ok, I just did the set with 25% of the calculated weight.

I already failed during my 2nd set of OHP at 13 reps with only 85% of my 15rm max... Hope it was an exception.

Hey Guys,

so Ive finished my first cycle of HST and am pretty pleased with the results. I was able to increase my 5RMs in all exercise and using Navy BF method Ive gained around 0.8 kg muscle per month during the 9 week cycle (gaining a total of 4kg BW in 9 weeks). The only problem I had and still have during my current cylce (im in week 2 of the 15s) is, that the 15s weeks completely destroy me. I dunno whether its the volume or the general high rep count but Im rly dizzy during the workouts and even after 2 days of rest im still sour and pretty fatigued.

Is this supposed to be like this? I mean Im not a total beginner anymore so maybe its time for a alternating whole body routine or a split?

yep 9 days. the only thing i did differently from last cylce is that i calculated my 10 and 15 rm by using my actual 5rms. but when i used my actual 15 rm last cycle i was wasted aswell :S

Hey Guys,

so Ive finished my first cycle of HST and am pretty pleased with the results. I was able to increase my 5RMs in all exercise and using Navy BF method Ive gained around 0.8 kg muscle per month during the 9 week cycle (gaining a total of 4kg BW in 9 weeks). The only problem I had and still have during my current cylce (im in week 2 of the 15s) is, that the 15s weeks completely destroy me. I dunno whether its the volume or the general high rep count but Im rly dizzy during the workouts and even after 2 days of rest im still sour and pretty fatigued.

Is this supposed to be like this? I mean Im not a total beginner anymore so maybe its time for a alternating whole body routine or a split?

Whats your diet, and water intake levels like? I found I need substantially more food for the 15s. I also find if I don't drink enough water I can get the dizzyness especially during higher reps. It might also be your breathing when you lift, if you are bracing hard and holding your breath during the lift, maybe give yourself a few extra seconds between reps to get more oxygen on board.

Being sore after the 15 reps is completely normal, but with a good warmup on your next session you should be good to go again.

yep 9 days. the only thing i did differently from last cylce is that i calculated my 10 and 15 rm by using my actual 5rms. but when i used my actual 15 rm last cycle i was wasted aswell :S

It is perfectly normal for the 15s to be hard after SD that is part of the process with HST. Some find the 15s harder than the 10s and 5s, others find them easier (I do)

It is perfectly normal for the 15s to be hard after SD that is part of the process with HST. Some find the 15s harder than the 10s and 5s, others find them easier (I do)

What he said! I personally find the 15s the work of the Devil! Probably why I don't do them much anymore ;)

What he said! I personally find the 15s the work of the Devil! Probably why I don't do them much anymore ;)

Well I should have said most exercises I find easier, not squats as this is where I agree with @Browner 'work of the Devil'

Well I see that u can get sore from high reps. As i said my diet is a surplus 2g/kg protein, min 1g/kg fat rest carbs. veggies and fruits etc classic supps. I mean the prob isnt the soreness but the general feeling sick during the time im not in the gym. I feel like its limiting at work etc. Maybe either cut some sets during 15s or eat more. My routine is from the ebook:

2x Legpress
1x RDL
2x calves
2x bench
1x dips
2x cable row
1x chins
2x OHP
1x Shrug
1x bis
1x tris

I don't think this is related to your feeling ill but I feel your protein intake is too low, I would up this to at least 2.6g/kg (1.2g/lb) and my preference is ~3.3g/kg (1.5g/lb)

I wouldn't say your routine is excessive at all

3.3g??? never heard of such a high number :O. I mean i can try and eat more in general during the 15s.

I always aim for 1.5g per lb of body weight as I would rather have too much Protein and let my body expel the excess than too little and run the risk of not having enough Protein to repair muscles and recover before the next session (currently training twice daily 6 days per week). There are many on other forums etc who advise 1.5g/lb for naturals and 2g for assisted!!

Also currently I only eat carbs around training in the evening session (2 hours pre and immediately after), my morning session is done completely fasted as currently on 16:8 Intermittent Fasting.

Looks like your diet is good, i think the protein thing comes down to personal preference, personally I aim for a minimum of 1g per lb of body weight, but if I'm cutting (not that I ever cut) I'll aim for at least 1.5g per pound of body weight.

I think the sickness thing is probably just where your body isnt yet adapted to the higher reps and workload. Stick with it, give it time and your work capacity will build up and the sickness/dizzyness should ease.

Taking an extra second or 2 to get some oxygen in between reps might help as well.

1.5 grams of protein isn't too crazy. You'll have to supplement with shakes unless your calorie requirements for bulking are still relatively low. But that's not a big deal. Truenutrition.com has some great isolates that have 27 grams of protein, 0 carbs and 0 fats per scoops and blend easily with water.

Back