Have To Change Gyms.....what Now?

I agree with Blade, you really don't need to rush it.
https://bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/muscle-gain-math.html/
Along that line, Lyle posted an article a while back talking about how much muscle you can realistically expect to gain per month: basically comes down to maybe a pound of muscle a month at most. And to minimize fat gain so that you are only gaining enough to put on that amount per month means a relatively minuscule calorie surplus. This can really be as little as just adding a protein shake to your day on top of your normal diet, assuming you are eating at maintenance normally.

Ok
I agree with Blade, you really don't need to rush it.
Along that line, Lyle posted an article a while back talking about how much muscle you can realistically expect to gain per month: basically comes down to maybe a pound of muscle a month at most. And to minimize fat gain so that you are only gaining enough to put on that amount per month means a relatively minuscule calorie surplus. This can really be as little as just adding a protein shake to your day on top of your normal diet, assuming you are eating at maintenance normally.

Ok, I get that. And I think it’s a good article. I also think you guys are the experts and I value your advice as I have struggled to achieve much in the past in terms of muscle gain.

My question is then, why is it recommended to consume 500-600 calorie surplus per day in the Eating For Size section on the web site and ebook?

I also consider myself to be a beginner lifter although I have been working out for 5 years. Basically, for the first 41/2 years I “re-composed” my body. What I mean is, that through ignorance, I ended up building a little bit of muscle but shed a lot of fat. Not that I was obese or anything, I went from probably 20% bf (guessing) to around 10-12% bf.

It’s only recently that I got the gist and started a proper hst program and got my nutrition right. I am now working on 500 daily surplus and gaining weight (some fat obviously). I am hoping that this is the answer. I believe that I am a hard gainer and don’t build muscle easily, a gift from my parents. So, in conclusion, I’m thinking that I need the extra calories to build muscle, but very interested in what you guys think and know from experience ( please keep in mind that building muscle seems to be very difficult for me ( I have small bones and short muscle bellies)).

Last edited:
I would not consider you a beginner after training for 5 years particularly if your training was consistent.

If building muscle is hard for you then eating to gain 1 lb a week could well result in significantly more fat gain than muscle which will only result in longer periods of dieting to shed the fat, I personally aim for 0.2-0.25 lbs per week.

Back