Frequency Is Your Friend

Old and Grey

Super Moderator
Staff member
Muscle growth happens after strength training because of transient increases in muscle protein synthesis rates after a workout.

These transient increases seem to last 24 – 48 hours, although we do not yet have a good understanding of the exact way in rates increase and then decrease again, and for how long rates remain elevated.

This study presented a collation of the information available at the time of the review, by combining data from multiple studies. The data showed that there is a clear difference in the muscle protein synthesis response between trained and untrained people, which may affect the optimal training frequency.

--------------------

#sandcresearch #strengthandconditioning #strengthtraining #strength#strengthcoach #sportsscience #biomechanics #exercisescience #research#sciencetopractice #performance #science #infographic #infographics#hypertrophy #muscle #musclegrowth #trainingfrequency#muscleproteinsynthesis #myofibrillarproteinsynthesis

40219540_1668034503307565_2449430959989194752_n.jpg

Cheers O&G. Ah yep makes sense that the duration is shorter in trained subjects, and that increasing frequency seems a pretty viable solution for well trained people...

What I'm wondering is how you balance that out with volume, ie getting the balance right between volume and frequency, and intensity for that matter. You generally would have to decrease volume if you increase frequency I'd imagine, but I'm wondering about that minimum effective dose/volume that you need per session (which would be much higher in trained people...).

Then I guess you may be much more adapted to a slightly higher volume so may be able to handle the increased frequency at that volume... dunno [emoji848]

So what is the definition of trained?

And is the progression from untrained to trained reflected in the difference between protein synthesis?

So what is the definition of trained?

And is the progression from untrained to trained reflected in the difference between protein synthesis?
Hehe good point, at what stage is one trained... I guess after doing one set, you're certainly more trained than you were before ;).

I'd assume something like a year or two or so, but don't know what exact point constitutes one being a trained person...

Simon, that is indeed the unknown and differs individually. Science, at least for today, can only take you so far. The rest is still trial and error which then changes over time.

Luke, Good question. I generally consider one to be advanced with 5 or more years of consistent, well thought out training. As to "trained" Like Simon said, "dunno".

Simon, that is indeed the unknown and differs individually. Science, at least for today, can only take you so far. The rest is still trial and error which then changes over time.

Luke, Good question. I generally consider one to be advanced with 5 or more years of consistent, well thought out training. As to "trained" Like Simon said, "dunno".
Hehe well said ;D. Trial and error for sure and it can't help but be on an individual basis. But I like the gist of what it gets at, that more frequent bouts might be the progression for the trained, and is certainly a viable tool

One thing I noticed is that even 36 hours post exercise (as long as the solid blue line goes out) MPS is still 20% above baseline. The muscle is not done fully adapting at this time. In addition, once it goes back to homeostasis, how long before MPS actually drops? That is the key to determining training frequency. I know, summation effect, and SD is a chance to catch up. But like Blade is pointing out recently, if you have been training for years, does the increased frequency actually make a difference in ultimate gains?

Perhaps the “right” training frequency is one where a person is making gains while feeling recovered enough to get back in the gym and motivated to lift again.

Obviously the “right” frequency depends on numerous things and is very individual.

I'd add too, that there is more to 'stimulation' than just post workout MPS, we don't even know yet how frequency affects ribosomes , satellite cell activity (the huge one for long term gains), or even more nuclear donation vs just satellite activity.....

More nuclei to me is the BIGGEST determinate of long term size, more nuclei increases even our baseline PS levels.

Back