Pullup Grip Width

Discussion in 'General Training' started by _Simon_, Jan 19, 2019.

1. _Simon_

_Simon_ Active Member

Say that three times fast...

In my next cycle I'm gonna focus on delts and back. This cycle using chinups went really well, and managed to get to adding 20kg extra weight for 5 reps. Considering it's been more than a year and a half since I've done them I'm pretty happy with that!

Gonna try pullups this time around, and even though close grip chinups actually get a greater stretch in the lats, really want to give wide grip pullups a go again.

Just thought I'd throw it out there as to experiences with grip width. Anyone found any width more effective or easier than the other? I'm sure the closer the grip the more leverage you have, but whether anyone prefers a more medium or wider grip I'm interested in.

I have the option of a fairly wide grip or medium grip on my bar (I'm defining medium as wider than shoulder width, but forearms straight up and down when at the top. Wide grip as wider so that forearms are still flaring out at an angle at the top).[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I find shoulder width to be best, as it can load the highest.

You may as well do more than one width for your sets though.

3. _Simon_

_Simon_ Active Member

Ah yeah that's an idea... just spent a cycle doing shoulder width, but be worth doing a few different grips throughout the sets..

I'm thinking of maybe not doing the super wide grip..

4. _Simon_

_Simon_ Active Member

Just did pullups yesterday, tried a variety of widths, definitely feels awkward doing the really wide grip, so will go for a medium-wide to medium (not shoulder width).

Far out, only did 3 little clusters of 5 reps each after my SD, and lats are soooooooore haha

5. Sci

Sci Well-Known Member

With wide grip pull-ups I can’t really feel it in my lats, but I get major DOMS in the teres major muscles! (Just above the lats on the back of the scapula/armpit)
    I am also am way stronger underhand due to getting my biceps in there better, and a nice mr angle of pull on the lats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. _Simon_

_Simon_ Active Member

Ah nice, yeah I tried the super wide ones and they just felt awkward.. have opted for a medium to wide for the first couple of sets, then a medium grip on subsequent ones.

Ah yes I know that pain haha, I always thought that spot that got sore for me under the armpit was the serratus anterior, but upon looking it up that's close to the teres major, and moreso for scap protraction/stability

7. Brixtonian

Brixtonian Active Member

The wider the grip, the less ROM, so shoulder width is probably the most effective.
    Personally I like to mix it up, so I will do the first set as shoulder width pull-ups, then second set parallel grip pull ups, then last set, palm facing chin ups. That plus deadlifts, or T-bar rows, pretty much cover everything upper body pull.

8. _Simon_

_Simon_ Active Member

Ah nice. Yeah even though it's slightly shortened ROM, I like the feel of the medium-wider grip, as though it's aiming at wrapping your elbows behind your body which is where the lats are wanting to bring your arms. Gonna play round with it and see