2016 Log

Day 34

DL, V stance; 1-200kg, 220kg, 240kg, 250kg, [email protected]. Felt better than last time for sure. Should have a fourth in 7-10 days hopefully.

Cable rows; 2x10-120kg.

SSB squats; 2x5-60kg. Left knee still has patella tendonitis issues, but it feels manageable with this bar.

Day 35

DL, V stance; 3-200kg, 1-220kg, 240kg, 250kg, [email protected], [email protected] speed.

Erectors very tired this morning. Intentionally took this session very slowly. Not so long ago I’d have topped out at 260kg, frustration, and a second session later tonight to redeem myself and stuff up recovery simultaneously.

Abs; 15-50kg.

Day 36

DL, V stance; 1-200kg, 225kg, 245kg, 255kg, [email protected], 285kg@10 speed. Still have a general tiredness feeling. Went from hook to straps at 255, the grip just felt tired as well.

285 moves heavy, felt as though I might hit an issue at my sticking point, but my form was tight and I had enough speed to keep through it and above the knees is money for me.

Soph stirring so didn’t do any accessories today. Seated back raises tomorrow and usual 10min walks throughout the day.

DL bar arrived today. Black as night and perfectly forged.

DL, V stance; 1-200kg, 220kg, 240kg, 260kg@8, 280kg@9. Probably could’ve doubled it without too much trouble. Lots of whip and will take a few sessions to get used to the whip of the bar I suspect. Felt incredible though.

Day 39

DL, V stance; 1-200kg, 220kg, 240kg, 260kg@8, 272.5kg@9. Was going to do a double but still getting used to that whip, threw me a bit. No bother, nothing but time to master it.

The lighter loads are orders of magnitude lighter.

Night;

DL, V stance; 1-200kg, 220kg, 240kg, [email protected], 280kg@9. Double@10 was there for sure, but doing this again in 8-9hrs, so let it go.

Last edited:
Day 40;

DL, V stance; 3-200kg, 220kg, 1-240kg, 250kg, 3-260kg@10 speed. Something was a bit off for the 260. Pulled the 250 perfectly, but just didn’t pull the slack out quite right for the triple.

SSB GM; 5-60kg, 3,3-100kg.

Time cut a bit short by an early wake up from the little one. No worries, hit everything well last night about 8-9 hours prior.

Day 41

DL, V stance: 3-200kg, 225kg, 1-245kg, 255kg, 265kg, 285kg@9. Starting to get the hang of the new bar. The 285 moved really well once it broke. You actually feel as though the shaft might snap in two there’s so much whip on some of the middle-load reps.

WG OHP; 5-50kg, 3-70kg, [email protected].

Abs; 15-50kg.

Day 42

DL || stance; 3-200kg, 2-220kg, 1-240kg, 250kg, 260kg@7, 2-280kg@10. Stoked with this morning. The 2nd rep at 280kg was a fail originally, lost my brace. I waited about 6-7 seconds then went for it again and dug it out. Equaled a lifetime PR, albeit this time on the DL bar.

SSB SQ; 5-60kg, 3x3-100kg. Knee felt a bit iffy at first. Hopefully the patella accepts it.

Cable rows; 3x6-120kg. Didn’t want to do higher reps today after the big DL session.

I don't know how you deadlift that often. How much warming up do you do?

I got to try those seated back raises finally. They are a bit awkward at first but once you get the groove going, they are awesome. Good call on raising the bench up.

I got to try those seated back raises finally. They are a bit awkward at first but once you get the groove going, they are awesome. Good call on raising the bench up.

Wake up
100mg caffeine tab
Wander about and get dressed, hydrate
3x-150kg
Then everything you see here.

I’m on a very slow progress incline. It will amend itself when I can sleep more, probably next year with a pending job change.

The seated are awesome.

Day 44

DL, || stance; 3-200kg, 2-220kg, 1-240kg, 250kg, [email protected], [email protected] speed. Didn’t get enough sleep, otherwise 290 should’ve been there. Might take a shot at that in Sunday.

Chins; 3x3-bw. Both shoulders held up, so it’s a nice start. Didn’t have time for seated raises in the end.

Abs; 10-60kg.

Day 45

2” Deficit DL, || stance; 3-200kg, 2-220kg, 1-240kg, 250kg, 260kg@9, 280kg Gail. DL; 1-280kg@10.

SLDL; 2x3-200kg beltless.

I feel like my lower back needs some more work in the DL position, which probably means SLDL, but the recovery on those is terrible, so I’ll have to play it by ear.

Still continuing to focus on pulling the slack out for every rep.

Afternoon;
DL;
1-200kg, 220kg, 240kg, 260kg, 285kg@9. Best rep I have pulled on the deadlift bar so far. Slack felt as though it was at my knees before it broke the ground (probably not ofc).

SLDLs probably aren’t the answer, I’ll keep plugging away at the seated back raises and maybe rounded back hypers.

Last edited:
Day 46

DL, || stance; 1-200kg, 220kg, 240kg, 260kg, 280kg@9. Broke 290kg twice but the plates started falling off the bar -.- ... not entirely impressed, just means I need to find a 2nd pair of calibrated 25s at a non-prohibitive price :’)

The one other thing that matters is I’m back and glutes, less hamstring (relative). If one is a hamstring dominant/super flat back and high hips deadlifter, then you’ll need a lower frequency.

The one other thing that matters is I’m back and glutes, less hamstring (relative). If one is a hamstring dominant/super flat back and high hips deadlifter, then you’ll need a lower frequency.

I'm definitely in the same boat for how I deadlift. I've been thinking about ripping off your workouts with regards to deadlifts and then building whatever else I need to do around that.
I definitely think I've been doing too much warming up with the bigger lifts. Been playing with reverse pyramid lately and it seems to work well so maybe there is something to it.

Day 47

DL, || stance; 3-200kg, 1-220kg, 240kg, 260kg, [email protected] speed. Didn’t deserve to hit 280 today, slack at 220, didn’t do 250, didn’t donproepr cuing. Shouldn’t have been so slack. May do another session tonight.

Deficit hypers; 5-50kg, 90kg. 2x5-110kg.

Afternoon;

DL, || stance; 1-200kg, 220kg, 240kg, 260kg, [email protected] speed. A third rep was absolutely there if glutes were fresh. Fantastic short session. Back to hitting a triple tomorrow.

Last edited:
I'm definitely in the same boat for how I deadlift. I've been thinking about ripping off your workouts with regards to deadlifts and then building whatever else I need to do around that.
I definitely think I've been doing too much warming up with the bigger lifts. Been playing with reverse pyramid lately and it seems to work well so maybe there is something to it.

My advice is this;

-Pull something heavy everyday, single, double, triple. Doesn’t matter. You won’t hit a PR or RPE/RIR PR everyday, just hit something every.
-I do too many singles and should do more topset doubles or triples, but that’s a 5am workout thing sometimes.
-Go easy on accessories, and don’t do assistance lifts. You don’t need to mimic the movement pattern. If you want to do deficit or pauses, do them instead of the main lift that day, not in addition.
-Accessories should hit different muscle groups and shouldn’t awns you to DOMS town very often.
-If you have access to a reverse hyper, use it.

Day 48

DL, || stance; 3-200kg, 2-225kg, 1-245kg, 255kg. 3-265kg@10 speed. Post-parent PR. Starting to see some real progress for the first time in years. I’m sure it must be fake or inaccurate though, as it’s intensity driven and not volume-periodised.

Probably singles until Saturday.

WG OHP suicide grip; 5-40kg, 60kg, [email protected].

Abs; 2x12-60kg.

Back