_tim's Log

Bench Press: 190, 215 x 5; 240 x 5, 5, 5; 265 x 2
Well, some lessons were learned here. That third set at 240 was a "PR" set, going all out for reps. In this case, 5 was it; I was very fatigued. The 265 double had an overzealous spotter, who surrounded the bar with his hands as I lifted and threw off my cadence. I didn't push for another rep as a result.

Deadlift: 245 x 5, 5, 5, 5, 5
Belt/shin sleeves.

Face Pull: 50 x 20

The bench press work got me thinking that I may need to tweak things a little bit for the next cycle. I was pretty much all set to do this 10-week pattern all over again, pushing for a 400-pound squat and improvements everywhere else too. Thing is, my bench and deadlift have not exactly been what I want them to be over the past two weeks. I deadlift either Friday or Saturday, so we'll see how the heaviest pulling goes. Regardless, given the disparity present in the lifts, I am strongly considering three separate approaches: push/pull/legs until I feel things balance out, 3-months of BB work to reset, or a completely different cycle that is focused on strength, but with much more volume and fewer PR sets that lays out over 6 weeks.

Or, I could do something of a hybrid ME/deload week (I know this makes no sense) next week to see where my squat could go on the one hand and deload the other lifts to lead into one of the approaches the week afterward.

Dunno.

Actually - I think I may have just figured it out. I will lay out my thought once I have it on paper. The answer is a combination template. This allows me to set up the protocols for each lift in separate programmatic buckets. I will get my layout set and post it for all to review.

Here's what I'm thinking for the core lifts... Let me know if you see problems with recovery time or approach. @Jester, @Totentanz, @_Simon_, @mickc1965

Deadlift: 5's PRO (3 x 5 in my loading cadence) + 5x5 SSL (Second Set Last)

Bench: 5x5/3/1 (5, 5, 5x5) -> week 3, push a Joker or 2 if the spirit moves.

Squat: PR set (last set taken to almost failure) + Jokers weeks 1, 3 + Widowmaker (15-20 rep set) FSL (First Set Last)

OHP: 5's PRO + 10x5 FSL

I'd run this for two three-week cycles and then do a deload week and figure out next steps.

That's just it, @Jester - it worked well for squats but not the other lifts. OHP is the only other lift that I might argue benefitted, but only by a small margin. Bench and Deadlift seemed to stall a bit compared to other methodologies. So - what worked for squats would continue, but things would shift for the other lifts to see if the various approaches work better. Make sense?

The Experiment Begins

Deadlift: 215, 250, 280 x 5; 250 x 5, 5, 5, 5, 5

Belt and shin sleeves for all sets, DOH grip too. Felt good!

BB Rollout: 10, 8
|
WG Pulldown: 150 x 6, 5
|
Pushups: 25, 20

I paused for a two-count for all of the rollout reps. The PD reps were slightly paused at full contraction, but the eccentric portion was not forced to be insanely slow.

Overall, this felt good - I liked the approach for deadlift quite a lot. I think the addition of grip endurance is a wonderful add-on.

I would use normal/natural tempo. Slow reps accomplish nothing but lighter weights and increased injury risk compared to controlled explosive reps.

Hey @Jester - the use of slow eccentrics has been a pretty effective tool I've used in the past. Especially in a controlled movement (like the PD), I think the injury risk is pretty low.

Today:

Bench Press: 165, 190 x 5; 215 x 5, 5, 5, 5, 5
I liked the approach; this was the first time I tried this pattern. I'm looking forward to seeing how things go as the loads increase. The top sets here were very manageable.

Constant Tension Isolateral Incline DB Press: 80, 100 x 10; 120 x 8

2 Up 1 Down: 115 x 6; 130 x 3

SAPD: 70 x 12; 85 x 10

Fair point, @Jester. I don't disagree.

Squats: 225, 260 x 3; 295 x 8; 225 x 20
I decided to switch up the pattern a bit to Wendler's 3/5/1 layout. Week one is 3 x 3+ with a PR set and Jokers, week two is 3 x 5 and week three is 5/3/1+ with a PR set and Jokers. Every squat day is finished with a Widowmaker set using the first working load. This is positively brutal based on the experience today, with two or more MEish sets before the Widowmaker.

I am likely to run this for this cycle and see how I feel. Based on today's work, now 4ish hours ago, my entire posterior chain is tingling and I want a nap. Calories are flowing inward.

OHP: 100, 115, 120 x 5; 100 x 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, 5
|
SA DB Row: 60 x 8; 70 x 6; 80 x 10; 90 x 20

I supersetted the rows among the 10 x 5 sets, pairing sets 1, 2, 4, 5, 6. The 20 set was broken up by arm, spanning sets 5 and 6. The rest of that cadence was fairly typical until set 9, where I started to set up the next lift.

Farmer's Walk: +40 x 40 steps; +80 x 80 steps
I have no idea how heavy the bars are, nor how to quantify the work. The first set had longer strides and the second, shorter.

Incline Curl: BFR: 50 x 25, 21, 16, 13, 9
Been a while - felt good.

Great first week; we'll see how things go.

This week is going to be broken up a bit more than normal with the Thanksgiving holiday machination I have. I'm also doing a "strength" competition at my gym on 12/1 that is going to alter plans for the latter half of the week.

Deadlift: 220, 265, 295 x 5; 265 x 5, 5, 5, 5, 5
The last two reps of the 295 set and the last two reps of the last overall set were done with mixed grip. The rest were all DOH, conventional sets with a belt and shin sleeves.

Low on time today - that was it.

Bench: 180, 205 x 5; 230 x 5, 5, 5, 5, 5
Without a doubt, bench press is my most challenging lift to properly progress. I think after this cycle, I'm going to step back the loads and step up the intensity. It's time.

Constant Tension Isolateral Incline DB Press: 110 x 10; 130 x 8

2 Up 1 Down: 120 x 6; 135 x 3

The lessons learned are many.

Well, here's how I did in the competition. I didn't win, but I didn't lose either. I was one of 4 to finish all the events, out of 8 total competitors. The premise was to get as many reps as possible, some in a minute's time, at bodyweight or half of bodyweight.

Bench Press: 225 x 14
Squat: 225 x 26
Deadlift: 225 x 25
OHP: 110 x 20
Farmer's Walk: 225 x 4 laps, maybe 25 yards each
Double-Arm Hang: 78 seconds

The squat, deadlift and farmer's walk sets were measured by time. The rest of the sets were taken to failure. I wasn't upset with my individual performance here, at age 43. I beat guys close to half my age. The only other takeaway here: I'm done competing. I did all of my reps with good form, perhaps to a fault. There were others who used awful form (quarter/half reps at times) and the reps counted. In fact, the guy who was declared the winner squatted notably above parallel, where the standard was parallel. I saw how more than likely, the way I approach lifting is not necessarily suited for lifting comps.

Good onya for entering mate, sometimes it's just a great exercise in challenging yourself like that. And sounds like you competed with integrity and knowing that you wanted to do it the proper way. Something to be proud of in that. Awesome work :)

Good onya for entering mate, sometimes it's just a great exercise in challenging yourself like that. And sounds like you competed with integrity and knowing that you wanted to do it the proper way. Something to be proud of in that. Awesome work :)

Thanks, Simon! I truly appreciate that!

Back