2016 Log

Day 135

DL, V stance; 1-210kg, 250kg, 260kg, 270kg, 280kg@9, 300kg @9.75 speed. A fast grinder, if there is such a thing. The rep got better as it went further until lock out.

Leanings abs; 1x12-55kg.

I dialled in my stance right from the start, am going to focus on having the bar closer to my shins. First shin scrapes I’ve had in a while since I moved to a genuine round back style.

Good session. I’d like to hit the same number tomorrow, don’t think I’ve done it back to back yet. I shouldn’t be getting so far ahead of myself though.

Day 137

DL, V stance; 1-210kg, 250kg, 260kg, 270kg, [email protected] speed. 290 didn’t want to budge. Shit setup today and shit workout.

Leaning abs; 15-55kg.

SeateD SSB GM; 5-60kg, 5x3-100kg. Eh. Seated DLs probably better. Will try to stick with them.

OHP; 5-60kg, 1-70kg, 80kg, [email protected]. Getting better.

Evening;

DL, V stance; 1-210kg, 250kg, 270kg, [email protected] speed. Stitching for the Velcro on my grippz has started to give out. Another set bites the dust.

Last edited:
Day 138

DL, V stance; 1-210kg, 230kg, 250kg, 270kg, [email protected] speed. All hook. I’ve let it slide a bit since starting the Captains of Crush work, and my thumbs let me know about it.

Seated DL; 2x2-260kg.

Leaning abs; 1x10-55kg. Token effort today.

I think I will go back to || stance, and keep V stance in reserve perhaps. It’s more powerful but I find it harder to maintain. high hip and not fall into a squat position (unlikely that it actually looks like that of course.

I am obviously very under-recovered lately, so I am trying not to read too much into it.

Day 139

SLDL, || stance; 1-210kg, 230kg, 250kg, 260kg, 270kg, 280kg@10. New gripz arriving this afternoon, so won’t have to dick around with the figure 8 straps, which are horrendous when you brace and get your air at the top.

Leaning abs; 1x18-55kg.

Day 140

1” deficit DL, || stance; 1-210kg, 230kg, 250kg, 260kg@9 speed, 10 effort. Today was by far the worst day I’ve had so far. Might have picked up whatever gut bug my daughter has, or not, but lots of cramping when I woke up. General exhaustion, fatigue, almost nauseous-like and trying a new sleeping position which makes my shoulder feel like trash. The gripz didn’t arrive on time yesterday which meant I stuck to a lower weight regardless. Had nothing left in the hook after smashing Captains of Crush yesterday.

May try to get another session later if things clear up, or maybe take the chance to sleep. We’ll see.

High spinal rows; 2x10-115kg. My recovery has definitely been down since dropping these.

Day 143

DL, || stance, knees forward; 1-210kg, 250kg, [email protected] speed. Getting ready for a big pull sometime this week, 310 in my sights.

The stance amendment continues to feel fantastic and I wonder if squats will have greater carryover in this position.

Day 144

DL, || stance, knees forward; 3-210kg, 1-250kg, 270kg, 280kg, [email protected] speed. Mucked the form up a bit on the last two singles. Still getting used to my cues with this new setup.

Leaning abs; 15-55kg.

Facepulls; 1x20 - red shorty band.

Day 145

DL, || stance, knees forward; 3-210kg, 1-250kg, 270kg, [email protected] speed. 290 wouldn’t budge. Not sure if it’s because of setup mistakes or new stance being so much more lower body dominant that the recovery inside a 24hr window is worse. Will
Give it 1-2 more days to play with and if not back to above 280 consistently, then will revert ongoing to normal pulling style.

DL, || stance; 1-250kg, 270kg, [email protected] speed. A fast grind, all back, felt fantastic and familiar.

Played around with some one-arm pull downs at a light weight to try and do something positive for the left shoulder/tendon/whatever it is.

Leaning abs; 1x20-55kg.

Last edited:
Day 146

DL, || stance, shins to bar; 1-210kg, 230kg, 250kg, [email protected] speed, [email protected] speed. Fast grinder. All hook. Just about back to full strength.

Still trying to get something out of the quads, but less extreme. Knees forward was causing issues with left knee (ofc), so I’ll leave it in the toolbox for another day.

Leaning abs; 1x20-55kg.

Day 148

DL, V stance, shins to bar; 1-210kg, 230kg, 250kg, 270kg, 280kg@10. Popped something between hamstring and glute on the last rep. Pretty sure it was something just jumping back into place, but it hat and the inst-DOMS, plus accumulated fatigue from the last few days are enough to convince me to put the bar back out in front and lift with my back again, instead of infinite leg focus.

Probably block pulls tomorrow to let whatever it was that popped, heal up. No bruising and I still finished the rep, so I don’t believe anything is torn.

Leanings abs; 10-55kg.

Day 149

Seated DL; 1-210kg, 250kg, 270kg, 280kg, [email protected]. All my seated DLs are beltless, and need to give the hamstring a few days to get its shit together and settle down. Eventually found a DL stance that doesn’t seem to aggravate it, so that’s my place to start.

Leaning abs; 10-60kg. Will keep adding reps here.

Cable rows; 6x3–120kg, EMOM. Spinal rows with the arms thrown back in. Felt good. I’ll do these as often as I can so far as they don’t inhibit deadlift recovery.

OHP; 5-60kg, 1-80kg, 85kg. Just a place to start now that I’ve mostly cleared out the virus.

Day 150

DL, || stance, knees forward; 1-210kg, 230kg, 250kg, 250kg, 250kg, 260kg. Hard to judge RPE when nursing the hamstring, but I had a thought last night that this stance might be friendly and I was mostly right. 280 broke but not much more.

Depending on how long things take with the right hamstring/glute intersection, this might give me a chance to try and work the form. Frustrating to be pulling so weakly though.

Hmm.. yeah can't think what that inbetween hamstring and glute thing could be... maybe just tweaked it high up in biceps femoris origin area?

Hmm.. yeah can't think what that inbetween hamstring and glute thing could be... maybe just tweaked it high up in biceps femoris origin area?

I suspect one of the tendons just jumped back into a happier place and irritated itself in doing so. There’s no way I would complete the rep from my sticking point if it was a significant tear.

Day 151

DL, || stance; 1-210kg, 230kg, 250kg, 260kg. Things tightened up and 270 didn’t budge.

Leaning abs: 10-60kg.

High-seat cable rows; 5x3–120kg, EMOM. Adding reps to each set moving forward.

Last edited:
Back