Disrupting The Loading Effect In Hst

Dakota Ray

Hello everyone.

I have successfully used HST over the years and have built a lot of size from it. I have a question that is somewhat difficult to pose, I'll give it my best attempt.

Since I also care about 1 rep max strength, I believe it a good idea to practice it. So every week I hit a heavy single (~90-95% estimated 1rm) every week on the squat, the press and the deadlift. Doing this allows me to keep the skill of expressing 1 rep max strength for those movements.

Now, for example let's say I'm running a cookie cutter HST template with the standard 2 weeks of each 15s, 10s, 5s, and continued 5s.
This is day 1 of the first week so I am using my lightest weight for squats, say 75% of my 15 rep max.
So if I am using 215 for my first HST session, would it throw off the effect of the mandatory load increase if once a week, before the 1 or 2 sets of 15 reps, I hit a heavy single on the squat, say 455.

So I would work up to 455 for a single, then follow it with the sets of 15. Would that once a week single with 455 condition the tissue in such as way that the effect of the progressive loading scheme is diminished or mitigated? Please forgive me if this question is hard to understand. I can rephrase if need be.

Thank you for your time.

O&G it is good to see your name again. I had a profile on here years ago and remember you. You have been here a long damn time and I am glad to see you are still active here.

It may even enhance it assuming you are still going to do your regular HST workout as well. I would do the test at the end of my HST workout when I am fully warmed up. Maybe even wait up to 10 minutes to do the testing. A weekly change up may just give your muscles an extra incentive to get stronger and adapt. With added strength will come added hypertrophy.

Hello!

I would think the volume you're doing for the single (like, 1 rep) wouldn't be enough to disrupt the HST cycle. If you were to do a large volume with that weight then maybe, but I can't see an issue.

Just a thought, not really certain!

But a great question, and I've always pondered things like this, and what sort of loading or training would actually disrupt the effects of a HST cycle.

Hello everyone.

I have successfully used HST over the years and have built a lot of size from it. I have a question that is somewhat difficult to pose, I'll give it my best attempt.

Since I also care about 1 rep max strength, I believe it a good idea to practice it. So every week I hit a heavy single (~90-95% estimated 1rm) every week on the squat, the press and the deadlift. Doing this allows me to keep the skill of expressing 1 rep max strength for those movements.

Now, for example let's say I'm running a cookie cutter HST template with the standard 2 weeks of each 15s, 10s, 5s, and continued 5s.
This is day 1 of the first week so I am using my lightest weight for squats, say 75% of my 15 rep max.
So if I am using 215 for my first HST session, would it throw off the effect of the mandatory load increase if once a week, before the 1 or 2 sets of 15 reps, I hit a heavy single on the squat, say 455.

So I would work up to 455 for a single, then follow it with the sets of 15. Would that once a week single with 455 condition the tissue in such as way that the effect of the progressive loading scheme is diminished or mitigated? Please forgive me if this question is hard to understand. I can rephrase if need be.

Thank you for your time.

@Bryan Haycock told me 15 years ago that it would re-sensitise the tissue and that I would be un-doing the hypothesised benefits of SD.

Whether that’s entirely accurate for a compound lift is harder to gauge, as the strain across a particular muscle group doing a 1RM deadlift may be less than doing 5s on a hip thrust re: glutes or chin ups re: lats.

However, considering thousands of jacked, natural powerlifters training with heavy singles plus back-offs, I’d say you’re probably fine.

Back