Pull Ups 1 set (115) lbs
OH Triceps Ext 2 sets 80 lbs
BB Curls 2 sets 75 lbs
Upright Rows 1 Set 75 lbs
Shoulder Press 1 set 75 lbs
BB Shrugs 1 set 150 lbs
Face Pulls 1 set 80 lbs
Standing Calf Raises 2 sets 180 lbs

Biceps, Triceps were pretty difficult today. I am going to go up in weight on Thursday as programmed on Triceps though might stay with 75 lbs for Bi's as on my second set I was not able to get a 5th rep with out form breaking down. If I start to pop off 5 each set in weeks 7 and 8 I will go up to 80 lbs.

A question out there for our HST experts. As I wrap up the 5s on weeks 5 and 6 I planned on extending the 5's into weeks 7 and 8 going up in weight if I continue to get off 5 reps or stay with what every weight I am just short of 5 or barely able to get it off. Do the 5's promote strength gains? Is that why we do them and extend into weeks 7 and 8 if we do not have a partner to do negatives?

I only ask as I seem to get my best growth in the 15's and 10's and read something similar on another thread by a lot of other users. My guess is the 5's increase your strength allowing you to push more weight all through your next cycle promoting more hypertrophy? Just curious as I stare down another 2 weeks of 5's (or am I better off taking a week off and starting over?) I still feel like I got gas in the tank for another 2 weeks of 5's I just want to make sure it is worth the time.

Thursday 3/12/2020 Day 6 of 5's

Leg Press 2 sets 350 lbs
Leg Curl 1 set 95 lbs
BB Bench Press 1 set 145 lbs
Inc BB Bench Press 1 set 145 lbs
Dips 1 set (80) lbs
Bent Over Rows 2 sets 105 lbs
Pull Ups 1 set (110) lbs
OH Triceps Ext 3 sets 87 lbs
BB Curls 3 sets 80 lbs
Upright Rows 1 Set 80 lbs
Shoulder Press set 80 lbs
BB Shrugs 1 set 160 lbs
Face Pulls 1 set 87 lbs
Standing Calf Raises 2 sets 190 lbs

Today was 5 rep maxes and I hit all with a couple exceptions. For triceps I hit all 5 on first set For my second set I ended up going down in weight to 80 lbs and ended up doing a 3rd set to compensate for the weight reduction. 87 lbs seemed a bit much for a second set especially from the starting position, a bit awkward at this high a weight for me. Might look at switching this exercise out on the next cycle and plan on sticking with 80 lbs into week 7. For Biceps I went up 5 lbs from last time and again was 1 rep short on the 2nd set. I ended up doing a 3rd set on biceps as well for about 3 more reps. These were the only two that actually maxed out today, all other exercises I could have pulled off more reps and know I can pull off 5 more at higher weight.

I guess the question is do I call it, rest a week and start a new cycle with increased rep maxes giving my joints and muscle sensitivity a break? Or do I keep doing 5 rep maxes and progressing weight over the next week or 2? I definitely feel I could do the 5's though the thought of taking a week off and starting a new cycle is appealing. Also I feel I grew pretty considerable during the 5's after all and wonder if another week or 2 of 5 rep maxes will maximize hypertrophy.

I got a couple days go think about it.

Sunday 3/15/2020 Day 7 of 5's

Leg Press 2 sets 360 lbs
Leg Curl 1 set 100 lbs
BB Bench Press 1 set 150 lbs
Inc BB Bench Press 1 set 150 lbs
Dips 1 set (75) lbs
Bent Over Rows 2 sets 105 lbs
Pull Ups 1 set (105) lbs
OH Triceps Ext 3 sets 80 lbs
BB Curls 3 sets 80 lbs
Upright Rows 1 Set 85 lbs
Shoulder Press 1 set 85 lbs
BB Shrugs 1 set 165 lbs
Face Pulls 1 set 80 lbs
Standing Calf Raises 2 sets 200 lbs

Decided to continue and went up in all exercises except Biceps, Triceps and Face Pulls though did an extra set. Playing the rest of the week by ear depending upon current events in my community. Though I might end up strategic deconditioning and doing body weight program if my local gym closes.

Hey gang,

My gym is closed for the next 2 weeks at least as expected. Looks like I am Strategic Deconditioning whether I want to or not. I do not have equipment at home and will need to start doing body weight exercises to keep fit until I can get back into the gym.

Not at all sure how HST principals can be incorporated into body weight exercises or if anyone knows of a good proxy. If not I will just do what I can and start up HST when the gym opens.

I want to take measurements though also want to be sure I am not measuring inflammation so I am going to give it a week then post my results in the appropriate thread.

Last edited:
Back