higher frequency

kfd

Hello

I've been recently performing HST with 6x/week (full body)frequency and lowered volume per workout. It includes about 20 reps for each major body part. I use clustering in order to avoid CNS fatigue with such a high frequency. My question is - what about metabolic work? Isn't it insufficient? It's just 20 reps, often clustered 6,4 and 6,4. Drop sets are impossible, I would indoubtedly overtrain. Any advice appreciated.

With clustering metabolic work must be added IMHO, the signalling acheived with clustering is a great P38 boost but not really all that much in way of oxidative. I would add a set of high reps after the work sets during your 5's and heavier. I wouldn't worry about overtraining much since you should be SD'ing in a couple of weeks after adding in the high rep work, just be sure you are eating correctly.

i thought higher frequency aided partitioning and metabolic fatigue in general, is that wrong?
crazy.gif
must have been reading things incorrectly in the customizing thread haha.

pzhang

If one chooses to do a typical 15 rep set instead of dropsets, partials, pulses etc., does the 15 rep have to be performed immediately after your last work set/cluster set for each exercise, or can it be performed at any time during the routine? Maybe a couple minutes after the last work set for the particular exercise or something of that nature?

noob, higher freq does aid in partitioning but that isn't the main reason for using it. There are studies that looked at the summation effect of training frequency, they show that higher frequency, every 48 hrs, increases the overall response of certain markers involved in Protein Synthesis. 24 hours also showed an increased effect but not too different from 48 hours. Metabolic fatique isn't what we want, plus metabolic fatique is generally acheived through increased contractions not frequency.

ttboy, waiting for a couple minutes to do a high rep burn set is fine. The main thing is to do it and to do it AFTER the load induced signaling. You could even do it on a different day I would think with no problems or interference to the load signaling.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The main thing is to do it and to do it AFTER the load induced signaling. You could even do it on a different day I would think with no problems or interference to the load signaling.

What dkm said. Doubly so on the bold.

cheers,
Jules

Is the higher rep "metabolic" set only useful if your working set is less than 10 reps?

I just started a cycle with 10's and have done a light-weight 10-15 rep set after my working set (for each muscle). Is this pointless during the 10's?

thanks

IMOO, yup, the reps during anything under the 10's aren't enough to kick up the metabolic signaling unless you are doing some sort of peak contraction hold or other form of lactic acid accumulating maneuver. 10 reps should be sufficient enough to create an oxidative increase of the mitochondria.

If one chooses to do a higher rep metabolic set of 15 reps instead of dropsets, partials, pulses etc - what percentage of your 15RM should be used?

thanks for clearin that up Dkm. That just made the burn sets/utlizing the static holds, peak contraction holds and all that stuff.

pzhang

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jackerdy @ June 18 2005,6:30)]If one chooses to do a higher rep metabolic set of 15 reps instead of dropsets, partials, pulses etc - what percentage of your 15RM should be used?
Whatever % works for you to get a burn in 15 reps. I use about 60% of the work set or just a little more sometimes depending on the movement.

What about negatives at 6x/week frequency? Shoud I perform them every workout? How high should the volume be? Thanks.

Negs, aren't really related to metabolic work.

Are you asking how much volume for the negs? Or how much volume for burns sets during the negs?

Dan may have a different take on this but I will throw my 2 cents in too.

"how many "neg sets" (2 reps + 3 forced Neg) per body part would be fine?"

I would say that that would be fine small bodyparts at 6X per week or for a frequency of 12X per week. For a frequency of 6X per week, I would do 2 sets, or even better, in my opinion, 2 exercises using 1 set of negs each for each large bodypart.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kfd @ June 25 2005,8:26)]Dkm1987?
My apologies KFD, I didn't mean to leave ya hanging, I'll use age as an excuse :). If it ever happens again just PM me, since I always check my email.

Yup I agree with O&G, 1 or 2 sets of neg work is sufficient, at 6X week I personally would stick with 1, but others may see more as beneficial.

Back