Number of Sets or Number of Exercises

ROCCOdoesDubai

Howdy

I've been looking for a definate answer on this but to no avail:

In the FAQ it advises, for example, 2sets per exercise for the 15s, 2 sets for 10, etc...

Now is this SETS per BODY PART or two sets per EXERCISE? For squats-- is it 2 sets for the upper legs: eg 2 X squats, or another way 1 X Squat and 1 X Leg Press

OR...does this means two sets per exercise, so if I do leg press and squat, this would mean 2 sets of squats followed by 2 sets of leg press?

Thanks for the assist.

Regards
ROCCO!

many do (including me)

15s 1 set
10s 2 sets
5s 3 sets

all per exercise. towards the end of the 10s and 5s make sure you get the full amount of reps for the first set of each exercise. the sets after the first do not have to be completed in full. they should be stopped a 1-2 reps prior to failure.

Hi

Maybe I didnt explain it well enough, such are the dramas of not having the vulcan mind-meld method perfected, yet.

"many do (including me)
15s 1 set
10s 2 sets
5s 3 sets"

Your saying 1 set per exercise...ok...i've got this but, is this 1 set per exercise per BODY part...or should we be doing 1 set per exercise but completing several exercises per body part - at 1 set each [using the 15s from the above example]

So is that, for legs
A.
1 set of Squat

OR

B.
1 Set of Squat
1 Set of Leg Press..
1 Set of Lunges..

Only 1 set PER EXERICEs but doing multiple exericse per body part?

Also...if the Answer is option B. should we [taking the 15s as an example] be completing a full 15 reps for the 2nd set and should this set be using the same weight as the first or should we adjust the weight so we can complete the count?

Again ,thankyou for the assist.

Best Regards
ROCCO!

There's no such thing as how may reps you 'should' do poer bodypart or per exercise in HST.

Basically you want to do as much volume as possible as long as it doesn't prevent you training frequently (i.e. 3x a week plus) and/or lead to overtraining.

Personally I do one set per exercise during the 15s and 10s and 2 in the 5s (generally speaking). I'll do one compound movement per bodypart and usually another stretch point isolation movement from the 10s onwards (1 set). Exception is bis and tris which I start in the 15s.

HST is not a strict regime with pre-set number of reps etc, it is a set of principles that can be understood and applied. However the example routines etc exist to help people understand how to apply the principles.

Personally I would question the point in doing squats and then leg press, why not just do squats? If you prefer to use more exercises (for example dips and incline press for chest) then you can alternate between sessions. A lot of people do this...but then a lot of people prefer not to!

If you're doing 2 sets stop the 2nd set when the reps slow down to avoid failure, you don't need to make a pre-determined number of reps, don't drop the weight.

Hope that helps

Rob

Hi

Thanks for the response, it wasnt so much how many reps i was concerned about, it was simply what exactly people where saying when they say they do "2 sets for the 10s". Did this mean 2 sets per body part OR 2 sets per exercise - as there's a big difference. Most of this has now been answered, i think.

Thankyou all
Regards

Rocco

The sets are per exercise, how many you use per bodypart is up to you! :D

Obviously we never recommend too many per bodypart, stick to the compounds which do more than one muscle per exercise
butbut.gif

Use isolations only for those parts youthink need separate improvement, most of us recommend compounds again, as arms for example are greatly motivated by dips or bench (triceps) and chin-ups (biceps, specially underhand grip).

Hope this helps.

hey ROCCOdoesDubai, I see how you got confused, almost got a bit confused myself when I read the thread.

;)

Back