Soreness

Ironman

I did my first HST workout yesterday and im not very sore (except for my legs and arse, 15 reps on squats is a bitch!) but im not too sore anywhere else. One reason I think that is is becouse the squats kicked my butt and I felt like shite for the rest of the workout to the point where I wasnt even able to finish all my reps on bench.
Regardless, when am I supposed to feel the soreness from HST...obviously the sudden drop in volume per workout wont be anything too traumatic for my body after the first workout but will it eventually catch up to me after my second or third HST workout? After how many workouts should I be to the point where the level of soreness can be used to gauge whether im using enough/too much volume?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ].obviously the sudden drop in volume per workout wont be anything too traumatic for my body after the first workout but will it eventually catch up to me after my second or third HST workout?

Perhaps I'm just confused by this sentence or I'm just tired from a long day's work. When you say "obviously the sudden drop in volume per workout won't be anything too traumatic for my body," do you mean that you have been working out with another program for awhile and now you are switching to HST?

If you're not sore, try doing the reps a little slower. Also, how long did you SD for? You should be sore the day after your workout, especially during the 15's. You want that retention of lactic acid. You want it flushing through you. If you didn't SD long enough, you might be using too light of loads.

i SD for 16 days and am already on my fourth workout and yet to be sore. Am i seariously doing something wrong? too light of a weight? but usually, on my 13th or my 14th rep, i feel like i'm getting close to failiure.am i not going to get results?

well, I finished my 15s, and I was sore only a very very bit, next to nothing... Soreness was highest in chest, tris and legs...

I don't think you should worry about the lack of soreness. I don't consider it a sign of a good workout. If you feel absolutely zero, then do as the FAQ says: increase the volume...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Chthonian @ Aug. 10 2005,4:09)]I thought soreness was a good thing for the 15's.
Yes, it should be, cause of the lactic acid build up. But I didn't get that sore from it... Personally I don't worry about that.

Hey :)

For the 15's, it's not really about getting 15 reps. Since we treat this phase as "preparation" for the higher loads and to help heal and strenghten joints through lactic acid, what you should be after is the "burn". Don't stop an exercise without feelign the burn, and feel free to stop an exercise if you get the burn already, even if it is not yet 15 reps.

Regards,
-JV

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Scooper182 @ Aug. 09 2005,11:25)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ].obviously the sudden drop in volume per workout wont be anything too traumatic for my body after the first workout but will it eventually catch up to me after my second or third HST workout?
Perhaps I'm just confused by this sentence or I'm just tired from a long day's work. When you say "obviously the sudden drop in volume per workout won't be anything too traumatic for my body," do you mean that you have been working out with another program for awhile and now you are switching to HST?
yeah, thats exactly what I mean.
I did my second HST workout today and decided to up the sets to 3 for chest and back, we'll see how it plays out tomorrow.
Also, Im slightly chemically enhanced (useing equiposie only) should I perhaps do even more volume if 3 sets doesnt cut it?

BTW, I took 1 week SD but since in my previous routine I was training each muscle group only once a week some of my muscle groups didnt get any extra rest at all. For instance I used to train chest on mondays and took off from that tuesday to the following monday, so in essence it was almost like I didnt take off at all from my chest's point of view.

I would say at least part of the problem (if there is one) is your SD was too short. It is recommended to be 9-14 days, even longer if you are more conditioned.

Ironman

SD'ying properly is very important.

But, since you have started and probably think that to SD again is rather a waste of your time, then adjust mate, adjust!
butbut.gif

Slow down you rep speed for those exercises that you are not getting some DOMS (hell, I am starting to sound like Vince here
laugh.gif
)

And I mean sloooow down, to the point were you feel the reps burning the living crap of the muscle group you are working, the whole idea of this is to flush lactic acid into the muscle groups, prepare and possibly heal joints
butbut.gif

The real "kicker" only really starts after the 2 nd week of 10's into the 5's, keep the volume at 2 - 3 sets, do not do too many exercises, concentrating mostly on compounds, when at the 5's maybe add a few isolators that are worth keeping and that is that. :confused:

Keep it simple and try to follow the guidelines as close as possible, the important thing here is that your body responds withhypertrophy, is that is happening then you have got the main criteria in check, the rest you will teak and learn as you go along.

Most important and really not very common specially with the younger crowd.....be patient.......give your body a chance to adapt and you'll be pleasantly surprised.
happy.gif

i just did my 5th workout for 15's and did not feel sore at all but was tired after the workout. I did 2 sets of each exercise. i did thw 2nd set unitll i felt failiure coming near or to 15 reps. with the weight i'm doing, if do them slow, i won't make 15 reps and if i do it so i reach 15 reps i don't feel the burn at all but feel that i'm gettin closer to failiure. What to do?

First of all, soreness isn't always a reliable indicator of a good workout. Just follow the principles and do not worry too much about this. That said, using larger increments usually helps towards creating soreness in the target areas.

chickenmonkey

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]with the weight i'm doing, if do them slow, i won't make 15 reps and if i do it so i reach 15 reps i don't feel the burn at all but feel that i'm gettin closer to failiure. What to do?

The most important is to do 1 set complete, the second set does not have to reach 15 at all, so if you have slowed it down that you cannot complete 15, it i not an issue, but if you are forced to stop at that point you have enough TUL if you know what I mean.

And you woul dhave reached the desired lactic acid high rep effect. So stop there and go on to the next exercise.

Hey :)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]that's the thing, im able to finish 15reps but don't feel the lactaic acid at all.

Like I posted earlier, for the "15 reps", it's not really about getting 15. Don't stop until you feel the burn in your muscles. For the really light loads, sometimes you can accomplish this just by making the reps a little faster instead of slower. Try it sometime, during the first or second workout, you'll see what I mean. If that doesn't work for you, find a tempo that does.

But the main point is, don't stop the set until you feel the burn. If you already reach 30 reps in one set and you still don't feel anything, the weight is too light. If you can only barely make 15 on the first few workouts, it is too heavy.

Regards,
-JV

the reason i'm not sure is probobly becuas i'm taking this no2 supplement called white blood,multi,fishoil,and whey, so i think my recovery time is fast. maybe
but i just got done with 15's and i'll take measurements and i'm rreadddy for 10's.

Don't worry about DOMS, DOMS does not indicate much except you have done something your body isn't accustomed too. As JVroig has said now twice, the 15's usefullness is the metabolic byproduct, lactic acid and it's efect on both tendon/collagen and icreasing the quality of the tissue.

As 9to5 and Fausto pointed out also, if you are that concerned about DOMS be sure to SD for the right amount of time based on your condtioning level and use larger increments. When in the heavier weights the feeling you should be concentrating on receiving is a tightness/strain in the target tissue. This may lead to DOMS in some instances or may not. So DOMS is little to worry about.

Back