HST for Injuries/Damaged Joints?

Paranoid

I gather that HST, perhaps with ACIT, is a great way to train around pain and injured joints, arthritis etc. Both allow the use of lighter weights subjecting joints to less stress.

ANyone else here have a bad knee or shoulder and if so - how do you train around it? NSAIDS dont count!

I use HST exclusively- have for the past several years. This past October, I incurred a Type 1 shoulder separation (minor, but dang painful nonetheless). I just re-started HST, keeping all of exercises the same except for shoulder. For that I'm focusing on strength training (lateral raises, Cuban presses, abduction/external rotation- you know the drill). VERY light (like, 5lbs- really), but I'll come up. One thing I definitely believe in with shoulders (and knees) is that you can't work through the pain. You have to let it be your guide.

The long and short of it is that I'm doing strength training for shoulders and HST for everything else. Into my 10s now, and all is well so far. Good luck!

I just realized that I didn't really answer your question. As soon as I get my shoulder strength back, I will start with HST there too. I just can't do it now, as I don't have sufficient strength and am not pain-free at heavier weights to meet the increasing load requirements.

thanks bro....how have your gains been on HST? HAve you looked into ACIT as well for the shoulders in particular?

De nada! HST has been *very* good to me- I was 165 when I started in '03, and am a pretty solid 190 at about 12% BF. I haven't tried ACIT, but I'll look into it.

Back